• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finally, some encouraging news about Facebook... from a conservative

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I must say that I've very encouraged that steps are going to be taken to correct the liberal bias issue surrounding Facebook and their trending news feature. The reason I'm so encouraged is because of this interview with the president of the Media Research Center, Brent Bozell, who along with other conservatives, attended a meeting at the request of Facebook president Mark Zukerburg to discuss the issue.

You will be hard pressed to find a more outspoken, anti-liberal biased media spokesperson than Brent Bozell, so if he is encouraged to the point of defending Zukerburg and Facebook, that is really saying something. I just hope he's right.

Check out what he has to say about the meeting:

MRC?s Brent Bozell Explains What Really Happened at Facebook Meeting | MRCTV

I must say that I've very encouraged that steps are going to be taken to correct the liberal bias issue surrounding Facebook and their trending news feature. The reason I'm so encouraged is because of this interview with the president of the Media Research Center, Brent Bozell, who along with other conservatives, attended a meeting at the request of Facebook president Mark Zukerburg to discuss the issue.

You will be hard pressed to find a more outspoken, anti-liberal biased media spokesperson than Brent Bozell, so if he is encouraged to the point of defending Zukerburg and Facebook, that is really saying something. I just hope he's right.

Hunh.

IMO Facebook has no value. Maybe as a toy for college kids, but otherwise it is just another crutch preventing people from learning how to develop proper interpersonal relationship skills.

I add Twitter, WeChat, Tumbler, Instagram...hell any Social Media turning society into a mass of outspoken but socially inept attention-whores.

Actually, it looks like the whole thing was blown out of proportion in the first place and there's no small amount of criticism towards conservatives by conservatives over this.

Hunh.

IMO Facebook has no value. Maybe as a toy for college kids, but otherwise it is just another crutch preventing people from learning how to develop proper interpersonal relationship skills.

I add Twitter, WeChat, Tumbler, Instagram...hell any Social Media turning society into a mass of outspoken but socially inept attention-whores.

That is only if you do not know how to use it. Used properly, it us a handy tool to keep up with information.

Hunh.

There's a certain element of truth to that, but I think largely that's unfair and a little bit crotchety. It's hardly a bad thing that people can organize via social media; it's being used for bad, neutrally, and for good. Thus the relevant issue is cultivating a culture that does more good than bad. Also, older generations have been complaining about the interpersonal relationship skills of younger generations since before you were born, a hundred times over. If generations really were getting worse, I think everyone would be drooling into a cup by now. I think perhaps a more fair assessment is that every new generation interacts and socializes in a new and distinct way, which makes understanding the in-and-outs of what they're doing perhaps more difficult to understand for an outsider, and may also look artificially stupid to someone from the slightly different culture their generation comes from.

I don't believe there's a formal conspiracy here. I think the more logical explanation is that Facebook is dominated by Millennials. You'd be hard-pressed to find a huge swath of Millennials that are conservative. You'll find a good few authoritarians on the lower economic ladder and white, and you'll find plenty of right-wing libertarians, but I can't remember the last time I met someone in my generation who was an honest-to-goodness, traditional conservative like you'll find all over Gen X'ers, somewhat in Boomers, and essentially all of the Silent Generation.

Therefore, there's not much reason to expect a huge number of highly "liked"/"shared" conservative news stories. And that's what Facebook's algorithm is based off of.

That is only if you do not know how to use it. Used properly, it us a handy tool to keep up with information.

I'm sorry, did you mistake my statement to mean the internet has no use?

I believe I listed social media specifically.

The internet itself is a good tool if used properly to keep up with information.

Facebook is just a social media service used by people to share personal information with millions of their closest, most intimate friends. :roll:

That is when it's not being used by some business or special interest to convince millions of gullible people to do or buy something.

Hunh.

Oh, but they all do have influence. Regrettably, but ask a business owner whether Facebook is a powerful marketing tool. It is.

FYI, I do not have a FB account; I decided several years ago that this is where I would draw the line. I do borrow one of my kids' passwords from time to time, though, just to lurk. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry, did you mistake my statement to mean the internet has no use?

I believe I listed social media specifically.

The internet itself is a good tool if used properly to keep up with information.

Facebook is just a social media service used by people to share personal information with millions of their closest, most intimate friends. :roll:

That is when it's not being used by some business or special interest to convince millions of gullible people to do or buy something.

You specifically stated Facebook, and by your description, you are not actually familiar it's what it can do. That is your mistake. It is like a kid who thinks computers are only for playing games.

You specifically stated Facebook, and by your description, you are not actually familiar it's what it can do. That is your mistake. It is like a kid who thinks computers are only for playing games.

Again, assuming facts not in evidence.

I am very familiar with it and "what it can do."

I remember when it first came out. I was at university working on one of my degrees at the time. I've seen it evolve (like youtube, and several other systems) over time into this monstrosity people use today.

I've seen people's lives destroyed using it and other social media systems; use leading to divorces, arrests, getting fired from jobs, suicides, all sorts of wonderful personal outcomes.

I've also noticed that increased use of social media appears to decrease social skills; regularly observing groups of teens, young adults, and even older people texting each other at the same table rather than talking eye to eye. :screwy

The internet is a tool, but IMO social media is poison to society.

Again, assuming facts not in evidence.

I am very familiar with it and "what it can do."

I remember when it first came out. I was at university working on one of my degrees at the time. I've seen it evolve (like youtube, and several other systems) over time into this monstrosity people use today.

I've seen people's lives destroyed using it and other social media systems; use leading to divorces, arrests, getting fired from jobs, suicides, all sorts of wonderful personal outcomes.

I've also noticed that increased use of social media appears to decrease social skills; regularly observing groups of teens, young adults, and even older people texting each other at the same table rather than talking eye to eye. :screwy

The internet is a tool, but IMO social media is poison to society.

No, you pretty clearly do not know what it can be used for. Almost anything, used poorly, can be bad. However, when used well, Facebook can be a handy tool. Instead of looking down your nose trying to feel superior, you should maybe learn something.

No, you pretty clearly do not know what it can be used for. Almost anything, used poorly, can be bad. However, when used well, Facebook can be a handy tool. Instead of looking down your nose trying to feel superior, you should maybe learn something.

Have you noticed that you have a tendency to attack the person rather than their argument? Ad homs do not win arguments. They just tend to end responses :coffeepap:

conservative = victimized

Have you noticed that you have a tendency to attack the person rather than their argument? Ad homs do not win arguments. They just tend to end responses :coffeepap:

Have you noticed that when you lose another argument, you play the victim?

Have you noticed that when you lose another argument, you play the victim?

Ever noticed how you always claim victory when you've actually lost your argument by resorting to ad homs? :lol:

In other words, you've got nothing useful to say, so you figured you'd just toss in an ad-hom.

How brilliant.

How much is there to say other than you play the victim all the time...

Hunh.

I agree with the attention whore part, but FB has value. I have been contacted by 100 or so ex shipmates and school friends through FB, and it's been life changing as far as renewing relationships.

Oh, but they all do have influence. Regrettably, but ask a business owner whether Facebook is a powerful marketing tool. It is.

FYI, I do not have a FB account; I decided several years ago that this is where I would draw the line. I do borrow one of my kids' passwords from time to time, though, just to lurk. :mrgreen:

How so?

Hunh.

It's actually an important business tool depending on your profession and how you use it.

You'd think that if you haven't seen what Glenn Beck has been saying.
He was a loon going in and a peculiar loon coming out.
If I was a suspicious type I'd think his comments indicated an ulterior motive regarding The Blaze and Facebook.

While Beck criticized conservatives, he heaped praise on Facebook and its founder, Mark Zuckerberg, for extending a rare invitation to conservatives.
"Mark Zuckerberg really impressed me with his manner, his ability to manage the room, his thoughtfulness, his directness, and what seemed to be his earnest desire to 'connect the world,'" Beck added.

Glenn Beck: Facebook meeting like 'Salem witch trial' - May. 19, 2016

As for others speaking of Beck at the Facebook meeting, here's one observation from Tucker Carlson of the Daily Caller ...

"I went to that meeting expecting Beck to cry, rend his garments while quoting James Madison, but that's not at all what happened. He began the most extended, assiduous suck up I think I've ever seen a grown man commit. He acted like he was auditioning to be Mark Zuckerberg's manservant — it was awe inspiring," Carlson told Politico. "I don't know what his agenda is; it's either he's looking to put his tanking web properties up for sale or he just can't help himself. There's a billionaire there, so he sniffs the throne."

Tucker Carlson accuses Glenn Beck of sucking up to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg - Recode

It goes way beyond that. It allows people to track things of interest. For example, I know that a band I like just finalized a tour date in July here in Atlanta. I know the new items the local anime store got in this week. I know that one of the best anime of the season will have the next few episodes delayed due to stupid tennis tournament. I know a series of books I have hoped would get a US release got licensed(Konosuba, announced yesterday), and so on. Facebook is not just an incredibly useful tool for retailers, but for consumers.

Don't worry folks, nothing to see here. Move along, now.

silicon valley dinner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom