• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finally got a vacation

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Just got back from my first cruise. Had fun. Was always skeptical of cruises. I thought if them as the best way to have a captive audience whose walls you can constantly rape. Wasnt quite that bad. lol

Overall a pretty good experience though. Toured the ancient Mayan ruins of tulum. Neat area. Still on the ship now actually. At port in Galveston for one more day. Gonna check out Houston and Austin then head back to Denver before going home. Tomorrow we catch an Astros game. I think it's against the orioles.

Congratulations!!

I've always found cruises to be incredibly relaxing. There's no rush to get here or there and if you spend a few bucks on shore excursions you get to see something other than souvenir shops. They're a good way to visit places you might like to go back to for a longer stay later on.

Just got back from my first cruise. Had fun. Was always skeptical of cruises. I thought if them as the best way to have a captive audience whose walls you can constantly rape. Wasnt quite that bad. lol

Overall a pretty good experience though. Toured the ancient Mayan ruins of tulum. Neat area. Still on the ship now actually. At port in Galveston for one more day. Gonna check out Houston and Austin then head back to Denver before going home. Tomorrow we catch an Astros game. I think it's against the orioles.
I'm glad you had fun on your cruise vacation.

For my cruise vacation, I certainly didn't have any fun.

It was pretty goddamn dreadful.

Well done, I would have thought your perfect vacation would have been to spend a week cleaning Bernie's garage for him. ;)

I have been on a few of the cruses out of Galveston, It is generally a good vacation value.
(During early December, and January, the prices go real low.)

Outstanding!!!

Glad to hear you had a good time, and were able to actually take a vacation. In fact, when I first glanced at the thread title on the forum's main page, I thought it said "Finally got a vaccination" which I am even happier to find out was wrong.

Enjoy the last few days of your vacation, and thanks for sharing with us - and yes, I'm jealous by the way. Very happy for you as well.

Outstanding!!!

Glad to hear you had a good time, and were able to actually take a vacation. In fact, when I first glanced at the thread title on the forum's main page, I thought it said "Finally got a vaccination" which I am even happier to find out was wrong.

Enjoy the last few days of your vacation, and thanks for sharing with us - and yes, I'm jealous by the way. Very happy for you as well.

Interesting misread in that I'm trying to get a hep C Vax at work. I work in the field 4 of the 5 days if the week and I come across heroine needles here and there. The northern part of my jurisdiction is the worst per capita deaths by heroine od in the country.

Well done, I would have thought your perfect vacation would have been to spend a week cleaning Bernie's garage for him. ;)

Funny thing... the day I headed out for vacation, Bernie came to my town to speak. I missed him by about 2 hours.

Btw... a week or so ago it was in the news about a lady falling over the railing a disappeared into the vast blue ocean forever... that was this ship I'm on. Creepy.

Glad you had a good time Rob. We're going on our 2nd cruise at the end of June.

Btw... a week or so ago it was in the news about a lady falling over the railing a disappeared into the vast blue ocean forever... that was this ship I'm on. Creepy.

my good friend from high school met the same fate on an alaskan voyage last year
was on the departure manifest
not present upon return

wondering if he found some female passenger he liked who was already taken

are you going to be able to see the sights/sample the goods in denver

I never really cared for cruises. My sister and her husband swear by them but I don't take vacations to relax, I take vacations to do something I want to do. I have no interest in sitting in a deck chair staring at the ocean. Some people do, I have zero interest. I don't want to look at things, I want to do things.

I've never had a bad cruse. I'm also of the opinion that they are among the best values in vacationland - more vacation for the buck.

My last cruise was in late Feb. I had just severed my tricepts from my right arm and had to have it surgically reattached the week before. The doctor wanted to schedual a post op appointment during my cruse, I told him that I would be on the cruise, he told me not to go, I told him to schedule my appointment after the cruise.

It was the worst cruise that I have ever had. Not only was my arm immobilized and swolen twice it's normal size and in pain, I also caught a chest cold and ran a fever for much of the cruise. Even after all that, I still had a decent time. I'd much rather be sick on a cruise, than at home or work.

I never really cared for cruises. My sister and her husband swear by them but I don't take vacations to relax, I take vacations to do something I want to do. I have no interest in sitting in a deck chair staring at the ocean. Some people do, I have zero interest. I don't want to look at things, I want to do things.

Have you ever been on a cruise? You can make a cruise whatever you wish it to be.

You can be super active, play sports, workout in the gym, visit the library, watch tv, go swimming, oogle bikini clad females, have wild sex with your significant other, get drunk, watch live shows, eat lots of food, visit foreign lands and have daily mini-adventures doing stuff like snorkling, or mountain climbing, or sight seeing, or whatever it is you like to do.

What kind of activities do you like to do that you can't do on a cruise? Wash dishes? Mop? Work?

I've never had a bad cruse. I'm also of the opinion that they are among the best values in vacationland - more vacation for the buck.

My last cruise was in late Feb. I had just severed my tricepts from my right arm and had to have it surgically reattached the week before. The doctor wanted to schedual a post op appointment during my cruse, I told him that I would be on the cruise, he told me not to go, I told him to schedule my appointment after the cruise.

It was the worst cruise that I have ever had. Not only was my arm immobilized and swolen twice it's normal size and in pain, I also caught a chest cold and ran a fever for much of the cruise. Even after all that, I still had a decent time. I'd much rather be sick on a cruise, than at home or work.

Huh, for whatever reason a cruise never appealed to me. People do seem to enjoy them though.

I go camping for vacations.

That's alway been my fear. That and feeling like a sardine.

Have you ever been on a cruise? You can make a cruise whatever you wish it to be.

You can be super active, play sports, workout in the gym, visit the library, watch tv, go swimming, oogle bikini clad females, have wild sex with your significant other, get drunk, watch live shows, eat lots of food, visit foreign lands and have daily mini-adventures doing stuff like snorkling, or mountain climbing, or sight seeing, or whatever it is you like to do.

What kind of activities do you like to do that you can't do on a cruise? Wash dishes? Mop? Work?

Yes I have. Didn't care for it. Like I said, I want to go do something I want to do. None of the things on a ship that I'd have any interest in doing can't be done elsewhere. Some people might like it. I don't.

That's alway been my fear. That and feeling like a sardine.

Feeling like a sardine is fine. Smelling like one can be problematic, however.

It's highly unlikely that you'll feel like a sardine on a cruise. The ships are like a damned city floating around and even with a couple of thousand people on board I've never found it too difficult to get some peace and quiet if I feel the need. On top of that you can do the cruise for roughly what you'd spend on a decent hotel room for the same duration.

I've only been on one cruise and I think my future experience on them would be dependent on the crowd that's there with me. With a 'land' vacation I can go out explore until I find the neighborhoods/people that I like. With a cruise, you're stuck with whoever gets on board with you.

I would hate to be stuck on a cruise with a bunch of retirees and their grandchildren, but if you put me on a cruise with a bunch of people in their 20's and book some DJ's (i.e. Holy Ship) then I'll have a great time.

Hurray for attempting to rejigger the work/life balance. I am all for hitting work hard in the right spots, but fun is a requirement overall in obtaining the good life I have found.

I've only been on one cruise and I think my future experience on them would be dependent on the crowd that's there with me. With a 'land' vacation I can go out explore until I find the neighborhoods/people that I like. With a cruise, you're stuck with whoever gets on board with you.

I would hate to be stuck on a cruise with a bunch of retirees and their grandchildren, but if you put me on a cruise with a bunch of people in their 20's and book some DJ's (i.e. Holy Ship) then I'll have a great time.

Most ships have a variety of entertainment options. All you have to do is find the bar that has the kind of music and people you're looking for. That being said, some cruise lines do tend to cater more to the younger, family crowd. Carnival, for instance, tends to cater to a younger crowd than Norwegian and Princess do.

Interesting misread in that I'm trying to get a hep C Vax at work. I work in the field 4 of the 5 days if the week and I come across heroine needles here and there. The northern part of my jurisdiction is the worst per capita deaths by heroine od in the country.

You be dang careful my friend. Hep C is very bad, but not the worst that could come from those needles, depending on if there's any moisture left.

Most ships have a variety of entertainment options. All you have to do is find the bar that has the kind of music and people you're looking for. That being said, some cruise lines do tend to cater more to the younger, family crowd. Carnival, for instance, tends to cater to a younger crowd than Norwegian and Princess do.

The wife hates the water but has promised to do one cruise.

It is going to have to have great food.

And few kids.

The wife hates the water but has promised to do one cruise.

It is going to have to have great food.

And few kids.

Inside of half an hour she won't even know she's on the water.

Cool, I'm not the cruise type, have no desire to be on them. I spent years flying alone to odd places and seeing countries on street level, busses, taxi, subways, etc. I'm trying to plan a 7-10 day trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua for Sept for me and my GF. I can fly free on standby, but we are going to buy tix, some really cheap fares out there.

Back
Top Bottom