• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Finally found a philosophy/religion that suits me

No, it is not a must. Think of it as a tool to expedite the enlightenment process. If you have surrounded yourself with individuals whom seek enlightenment, you have them to lean on and feed off of.

What do they consider as being enlightened?

Moe

I completely understand. Like you, I'm a creature of logic and rationality. When I found Buddhism, it felt like home. The skepticism is still there, but I don't need reincarnation to be true. At worst, I become an even more benevolent human being.
Well I see two different approaches here:

1) I follow the teachings of Buddhism because it feels good and its teachings, in my opinion, make me a better person.

2) Buddhism feels right to me therefore I believe in the claims of Buddhism.

I find nothing wrong with #1. However, #2 irks me.

I wish I could tell you. As I stated previously, it all just feels like I'm home.
That is AWEsome.

1) I follow the teachings of Buddhism because it feels good and its teachings, in my opinion, make me a better person.

That is AWEsome.

I take a lot of Christians irk you?

I don't believe superstitious aspects of Buddhism are anymore valid than christianity . However I do respect Buddhism.

I take a lot of Christians irk you?
Some do, some don't. Atheists can have ridiculous beliefs as well. I have encountered a few who do.

But yea, for the most part I don't understand how some religious people (christians included) claim to "know" something but can't explain it, IE the whole "spiritual" intuition thing. To me it comes off as some mix of a confirmation bias, argument from ignorance, and correlation equals causation fallacy. That is, claiming truth using such an absurd methodology really gets my panties in a knot :mrgreen:

Last edited:

That is AWEsome.
Well the reincarnation aspect is proving tough for me to swallow so far. But, as stated previously, I do not need it to be true. I will just apply some of the Buddha's teachings to my life and meditate frequently and see what happens.

P.S. The Lama at the temple I went to yesterday recommended a book to me about a guy who meditated in a cave for nine years and never consumed food. :shock:

Well the reincarnation aspect is proving tough for me to swallow so far. But, as stated previously, I do not need it to be true. I will just apply some of the Buddha's teachings to my life and meditate frequently and see what happens.

P.S. The Lama at the temple I went to yesterday recommended a book to me about a guy who meditated in a cave for nine years and never consumed food. :shock:

Yeah, crazy things happen whenever there isn't a witness.

What do they consider as being enlightened?

Moe
It is essentially becoming all knowledgeable. You realize that this life is an illusion created by our mind. You therefore break free of the cycle of reincarnation(samsara) and achieve Nirvana. The difference between Hinayana and Mahayana Buddhism is how to achieve enlightenment.

Actually there were many witnesses, since people had to bring him water and check in on him.

And how do you explain him accomplishing the physically impossible?

How would you expect me to explain the impossible?

Maybe he survived on grubs when no one was looking?

Maybe there was more than just water in the "water".

Maybe a group of people got together to propogate this story.

It is essentially becoming all knowledgeable. You realize that this life is an illusion created by our mind. You therefore break free of the cycle of reincarnation(samsara) and achieve Nirvana. The difference between Hinayana and Mahayana Buddhism is how to achieve enlightenment.

How many have achieved this state?

what happens when you reach it...does your body just die as you leave the dream?
You understand what life really is, like waking from an extremely prolonged dream. If you are enlightened, you break free of the reincarnation cycle(samsara) when you die and achieve Nirvana.

You understand what life really is, like waking from an extremely prolonged dream. If you are enlightened, you break free of the reincarnation cycle(samsara) when you die and achieve Nirvana.

ok so you would die naturally...not necessarily the time when you achieve enlightenment...

After spending many years soul searching and performing massive amounts of research into global religions, I have become a Buddhist. I have gone through quite the transformation: From indifferent Christian to militant atheist to understanding atheist to Buddhist.

Buddhism suits me. I already live by a lot of the teachings Buddha stressed as important for living a successful life. Everything about it feels "right". Being a creature of logic and rationality, I thought that the concept of Reincarnation would be hard to swallow. I was wrong; in fact, it makes perfect sense(while paradoxically making no logical sense).

If anyone has any questions about Buddhism, I would love to use this thread to answer them and discuss. Thanks!
It is a bit tangental buthave you read E.f Schumacher's essay Buddhist economics? Or his A Guide for the Perplexed? Both are very interesting from a Buddhist angle no doubt.

I've always liked Buddhism but I prefer Taoism personally which has had a major influence on my paganism.

I am not sure I understand your post. Care to elaborate?

I didn't understand how you got to Nirvana. It seems like you meditate until you reach enlightenment then when you die you are released from the cycle of reincarnation and achieve Nirvana. my original thought was that as soon as you achieved enlightenment you separated from your body at that very moment, basically your body dies right then and there, but if i understand what you say you live your natural lifespan, but you are no longer reincarnated instead you achieve Nirvana and go on to a higher state of life...is that about right?

Last edited:
I didn't understand how you got to Nirvana. It seems like you meditate until you reach enlightenment then when you die you are released from the cycle of reincarnation and achieve Nirvana. my original thought was that as soon as you achieved enlightenment you separated from your body at that very moment, basically your body dies right then and there, but if i understand what you say you live your natural lifespan, but you are no longer reincarnated instead you achieve Nirvana and go on to a higher state of life...is that about right?
The second part is right, you die and then go to Nirvana. To attain enlightenment, one must do more than meditate. You must do your best to end suffering in the world. You must follow the Noble Eightfold path and utilize the Four Noble Truths.

Back
Top Bottom