• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Finally, a Democrat with guts, backbone and spine!

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
And a Democrat that I can vote for without flinching. Go Paul Hackett, keep on kicking r-wing ass without remorse! Do not flip-flop, do not waver, do not apologize and you just may find yourself a winner like Bill Clinton!

President Clinton never let the Republican extremists define him, never let the r-wingers get his goat, never let the r-wing spin machine get him down in the mouth. They tried and they failed...twice!

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/state/13646787.htm

Senate candidate unapologetic for saying GOP hijacked by fanatics

WASHINGTON - Ohio's Republican leader wants Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Paul Hackett to apologize for calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

Hackett was unapologetic Tuesday for the comments in a newspaper story, saying religious fanatics of any flavor should be ashamed. "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," he said.

Hackett said in a Sunday column in The Columbus Dispatch: "The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world."

Hackett, an Iraq war veteran from the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, is running for the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate against Rep. Sherrod Brown of Lorain. They are vying to run against two-term Republican Sen. Mike DeWine.

Hackett also said the practice of denying homosexuals equal rights is un-American. The newspaper asked Hackett if that meant the 62 percent of Ohioans who voted to ban gay marriage were un-American.

"If what they believe is that we're going to have a scale on judging which Americans have equal rights, yeah, that's un-American," Hackett said.

Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett said Hackett should apologize, saying his comments applied to any "people of faith" and, therefore, most Ohioans.

"These intolerant views have no place in the public debate, and I hope his fellow Democrats reject this divisive hate speech," Bennett said, while calling on Ohio Democratic Party Chairman Chris Redfern to condemn the remarks.

"If Bob Bennett needs an apology, he should apologize for Tom DeLay, Bob Ney, Bob Taft and Tom Noe," state Democratic spokesman Brian Rothenberg said. "This is nothing more than a smokescreen from the corruption that surrounds him."...

Wow! He is tough. I admire his honesty, but the statements of calling people who don't support equal rights for gay people "un-American" aren't going to get him any votes. I agree with his assessment, but I wouldn't be saying that if I was running for the Senate.

Comparing republicans to Osama bin Laden? Yeah, here's a guy you even you can support, Kid. I got $100 that says he goes down in defeat.

Comparing republicans to Osama bin Laden?
He didn't compare republicans to bin Laden, he compared religious fanatics to bin Ladin. A fair and accurate comparison, if you ask me.

Yeah, here's a guy you even you can support, Kid. I got $100 that says he goes down in defeat.
Unfortunately, you may be right about that. People who vote with their emotions will be most influenced, of course. I personally agree with him, denying gays equal governmental rights is as un-American as denying women and blacks the right to vote. And the whole anti-gay movement is rooted on a religious doctrine, so I'd say he nailed the "religous fanatic" part too.

Binary_Digit said:
He didn't compare republicans to bin Laden, he compared religious fanatics to bin Ladin. A fair and accurate comparison, if you ask me.

Read the link. He compared republicans to religious fanatics and Osama bin Laden.

"....calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden."

:lol: This thread is a real laugh!

It's also a testament to how backwards Democrats are.

Hackett's comments demonstrated that HE is extreme. McCain-Feingold is also why the rest of the Democrat party has gone over the cliff with insane groups like Move On and degenerate liars like Michael Moore and Al Franken directing the party.

The left, with their Hitler ads, screaming Dean, and brazenly false screeching about Iraq, is the party beholden to extremists.

Republicans demonstrably have the support of the mainstream. Look at any poll. The public is ok with listening to international calls from foreign terrorists by huge margins. The public was overwhelmingly against gay marriage, which is how it got banned even in liberal states like Oregon. The public overwhelmingly is against having God removed from all things public.

Highjacked by Christian fundamentalists? Hackett has not earned some hero worship for mindlessly venting and asserting falsehoods. He has merely proven that he is as dishonest and irrational as the rest of his party.

KCConservative said:
Read the link. He compared republicans to religious fanatics and Osama bin Laden.

"....calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden."

AFAICT, the quote reads "The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world."
AFAICT, the noun under discussion is "fanatics."
So, he compared some Republicans, (the ones who are religious fanatics) to UbL. I mean AFAICT.
Obviously, YMMV.

I have been instructed to never argue with you, Simon. As always, what you say goes.

Sigh.:roll: Another Democrat vs Republican rumble. Why can't you guys learn to get along? You are both right wing parties, just one is more right than the other. :smile:

I'd also like to note that quite a number of Bush apologists have made the same comparison between Dems/liberals and aQ/UbL.

The comparison doesn't seem to do much other than making the person making the comparison look like a moron or an amoral, elitist demagogue

GarzaUK said:
Sigh.:roll: Another Democrat vs Republican rumble. Why can't you guys learn to get along? You are both right wing parties, just one is more right than the other. :smile:

What?

If the Democrats are r-wing then you must be a Communist!

KidRocks said:
What?

Ladies & Gentlemen....

Navy Pride's mirror image...

"Let's go around defining everyone"...:roll:

KCConservative said:
I have been instructed to never argue with you, Simon.
I doubt you have ever received such an instruction.

KCConservative said:
As always, what you say goes.
If only my wife were open to this wisdom.

This jackass is doing nothing more than adding more fuel to the animosity and virtriol which is already polarizing this nation.

Fine by me, partisan drones attack away.

SixStringHero said:
This jackass is doing nothing more than adding more fuel to the animosity and virtriol which is already polarizing this nation.

Fine by me, partisan drones attack away.

What Paul Hackett is doing is fighting fire with fire which is what Clinton did.

The other democrats (Kerry Gore & Co) fight fire with water, the old fashioned way.

Let me explain... when Clinton was attacked he not only responded immediatly by putting out that fire, he also launched an attack at the same time, thus the Republicans had to scramble and put out that attack (fire).

It was brilliant strategy!

The Republicans were mostly running around putting out fires started by Bill Clinton himself.

With Gore and Kerry it was different, their campaigns were always putting out fires and never bothering to start a few of their own in the other guys camp!

KidRocks said:
What?

No, not the last time I checked. My friend is tho.

The Democrats are against free healthcare aren't they?
Most are for the Death Pelanty.
They aren't going to reverse the 2nd amendment are they?

GarzaUK said:
No, not the last time I checked. My friend is tho.

Well, other than the generalization and the 2nd amendement issue, the other two points tend to be conservative and republican beliefs not democrat beliefs.

Then again, I'm trying to stay away from generalizing.

SixStringHero said:
Well, other than the generalization and the 2nd amendement issue, the other two points tend to be conservative and republican beliefs not democrat beliefs.

Then again, I'm trying to stay away from generalizing.

All I'm saying is that British conservatives believe what the Democrats believe. Republicans are way off the radar screen as far as I'm concerned lol.
So therefore in the European political gravitation, both parties are right wing.

To my knowledge, liberal democrats want to federalize healthcare, are against the death penalty, and are usually the ones pushing for stricter gun laws.

Paul Hackett is one of a group of Iraq, Afghanistan or other Middle East veterans running for Congressional seats in 2006. Here is a list of those announced so far.
(Disclaimer-list may not be 100% accurate. I haven't updated it in a few weeks, but it's pretty close)

DEMOCRATS

David Ashe
Major, United States Marines Corps
Virginia 2nd

Andrew Duck
Captain, United States Army
Maryland 6th

Tim Dunn
Lieutenant colonel, United States Marine Corps Reserve
North Carolina 8th

Patrick Murphy
Captain, United States Army; JAG Corps attorney
Pennsylvania 8th

Bryan Lentz
Major, United States Army Reserve
Pennsylvania 7th

Tim Walz
Command Sergeant Major, Army National Guard
Minnesota 1st

Chris Carney
Lieutenant Commander, United States Naval Reserves
Pennsylvania 10th

Eric Massa
Commander, United States Navy
New York 29th

Andrew Horn
Lieutenant colonel, United States Marine Corps
Kentucky 3rd

Tammy Duckworth
Major, Illinois Army National Guard.
Illinois 6th

David T. Harris
Major, United States Army Reserves
Texas 6th

Charles D. Brown
Lt. Colonel, USAF Retired
California 4th

Paul Hackett
Major, United States Marine Corps
Ohio (Senate)

REPUBLICANS

Hiram Lewis
Captain and JAG officer, West Virginia Army National Guard
West Virginia (Senate)

Van Taylor
Major, United States Marine Corps Reserve
Texas 17th
Hello?
Hello? Is that it?

Hmmmm, not to worry Mr. Lewis and Mr. Taylor, if you win in November you can mingle with the other minority Republicans in Congress. I hear they meet in the telephone booth between K and L street.

Allow me to introduce them to you, it won't take long.

Senator Mel Martinez (R- FL)
Representative Lincoln Diaz-Balart (R-FL - 21)
Representative Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL - 25)

Representative Henry Bonilla (R-TX - 23)

Representative Tom Cole (R-OK - 4)

GarzaUK said:
All I'm saying is that British conservatives believe what the Democrats believe. Republicans are way off the radar screen as far as I'm concerned lol.
So therefore in the European political gravitation, both parties are right wing.

Oh, I understand now.

GarzaUK said:

How dare you you have the audacity to use your knowledge of British politics to prove your point. :mrgreen:

There is no "left" in American politics compared to the UK and Canada.

KidRocks said:
And a Democrat that I can vote for without flinching. Go Paul Hackett, keep on kicking r-wing ass without remorse! Do not flip-flop, do not waver, do not apologize and you just may find yourself a winner like Bill Clinton!

President Clinton never let the Republican extremists define him, never let the r-wingers get his goat, never let the r-wing spin machine get him down in the mouth. They tried and they failed...twice!

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/state/13646787.htm

Senate candidate unapologetic for saying GOP hijacked by fanatics

WASHINGTON - Ohio's Republican leader wants Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Paul Hackett to apologize for calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

Hackett was unapologetic Tuesday for the comments in a newspaper story, saying religious fanatics of any flavor should be ashamed. "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," he said.

Hackett said in a Sunday column in The Columbus Dispatch: "The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren't a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world."

Hackett, an Iraq war veteran from the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, is running for the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate against Rep. Sherrod Brown of Lorain. They are vying to run against two-term Republican Sen. Mike DeWine.

Hackett also said the practice of denying homosexuals equal rights is un-American. The newspaper asked Hackett if that meant the 62 percent of Ohioans who voted to ban gay marriage were un-American.

"If what they believe is that we're going to have a scale on judging which Americans have equal rights, yeah, that's un-American," Hackett said.

Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett said Hackett should apologize, saying his comments applied to any "people of faith" and, therefore, most Ohioans.

"These intolerant views have no place in the public debate, and I hope his fellow Democrats reject this divisive hate speech," Bennett said, while calling on Ohio Democratic Party Chairman Chris Redfern to condemn the remarks.

"If Bob Bennett needs an apology, he should apologize for Tom DeLay, Bob Ney, Bob Taft and Tom Noe," state Democratic spokesman Brian Rothenberg said. "This is nothing more than a smokescreen from the corruption that surrounds him."...

I thought Hackett got his ass kicked by that nutcase republcan female in Ohio.......:confused:

It is true, it is a case in the US of voting for a party that will override the interests of the common man in favour of enriching a select few, or... the same, but with some insane religious extremism thrown in. having said that, in the UK it is the same issue since the lamentable New Labour traitors took power - but the conservatives in England, who are these days regarded as unelectably right-wing on social issues, are roughly in line with Democrat policy in the US.

Back
Top Bottom