• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Final GDP reading shows US economy shrank 0.6% in the spring, cementing start of recession

So growing up were you taught that someone else would pay for your personal responsibility issues like healthcare?
Actually, health isn’t something anyone ultimately controls. You can up your odds, but it ultimately is a crapshoot. Looking at the non drinking, non smoking vegan, 35-year old man that drops dead “running around a dewy track at dawn.” And the 102 year young grandma that swears by a carton of Luckies and Jack Daniels.
I think the “personal responsibility” schtick is a mask for uncertainty. It makes you believe you have more control over life and circumstances than you actually do. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Admitting that point, however, would undermine your whole “ruggedly individual, in did-it-all myself” thing, so you’ll go to the grace clinging those bootstraps.

Actually, health isn’t something anyone ultimately controls. You can up your odds, but it ultimately is a crapshoot. Looking at the non drinking, non smoking vegan, 35-year old man that drops dead “running around a dewy track at dawn.” And the 102 year young grandma that swears by a carton of Luckies and Jack Daniels.
I think the “personal responsibility” schtick is a mask for uncertainty. It makes you believe you have more control over life and circumstances than you actually do. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Admitting that point, however, would undermine your whole “ruggedly individual, in did-it-all myself” thing, so you’ll go to the grace clinging those bootstraps.
Wow, cannot believe I am even having this discussion with you. Is there anything that you believe the federal gov't shouldn't provide for you? Is there any personal responsibility in anything you do? It is that kind of attitude that puts liberals in power, destroys incentive, creates dependence and destroys countries.

Wow, no.

Yes, genetics and chance play a large part in your health. However there is no scenario where bad choices are not going to negatively impact your life. If you are morbidly obese, that's a choice you made and it is also absolutely causing significant health problems and an overall burden to society. The data supports this universally. Hell, just look at the COVID data. You want to know who actually died from COVID? People with the big 3-4 comorbidities. Diabetes, high blood pressure, cadiac problems, and COPD. Those are the folks who dropped dead.

Yep. The idea of relying on employer based healthcare is a rather precarious one, and isn't uniform across the country since the best (and less costly ones) are found in large corporations. If you happen to live in areas where employer provided healthcare costs more for your employer, then your paycheck deduction is higher. A family member of mine works for one the US top sports leagues and her insurance is fully paid for, which is the exception not the norm.
I know I enjoyed my “Cadillac Plan” from AETNA. Acupuncture is awesome.
I think tying something fundamental like health to an employer is the antithesis of freedom. That market doesn’t seem so free

Wow, cannot believe I am even having this discussion with you. Is there anything that you believe the federal gov't shouldn't provide for you? Is there any personal responsibility in anything you do? It is that kind of attitude that puts liberals in power, destroys incentive, creates dependence and destroys countries.
That is not what I said.
I cannot be responsible for things outside my control.
True for everyone on earth.
Most decent people agree with a “safety net” for that very reason.
You never know when *You* are on the receiving end.

Wow, no.

Yes, genetics and chance play a large part in your health. However there is no scenario where bad choices are not going to negatively impact your life. If you are morbidly obese, that's a choice you made and it is also absolutely causing significant health problems and an overall burden to society. The data supports this universally. Hell, just look at the COVID data. You want to know who actually died from COVID? People with the big 3-4 comorbidities. Diabetes, high blood pressure, cadiac problems, and COPD. Those are the folks who dropped dead.
So every obese person is obese by choice?
Not true.
Bad choices suck, but that’s part of being human. Maybe I overindulge in cheeseburgers, while you are an aggressive driver?
The only “virtue signalers” I know pretend they have no vices.

So every obese person is obese by choice?
Not true.
Bad choices suck, but that’s part of being human. Maybe I overindulge in cheeseburgers, while you are an aggressive driver?
The only “virtue signalers” I know pretend they have no vices.

The morbidly obese? Only 99%.

Here's the rub in your example, I pay more if I am an overaggressive driver. In the form of tickets, fines, insurance, etc.

That is not what I said.
I cannot be responsible for things outside my control.
True for everyone on earth.
Most decent people agree with a “safety net” for that very reason.
You never know when *You* are on the receiving end.
This country was built on neighbor helping neighbor and that neighbor isn't a federal bureaucrat. We have safety nets they are called charities.

The morbidly obese? Only 99%.

Here's the rub in your example, I pay more if I am an overaggressive driver. In the form of tickets, fines, insurance, etc.
Which has everything to do with geography. Who gets ticketed? What offense?
Highly likely it’s being used as a source of revenue for the county… Somebody mentioned incentives?

Buying your way out of poor choices that affect your neighbors is a shit argument.

Highly likely it’s being used as a source of revenue for the county… Somebody mentioned incentives?

Buying your way out of poor choices that affect your neighbors is a shit argument.
You never answered my question, do you think it is my responsibility to pay for your health insurance and vice versa? The "shit" argument is that the federal gov't is the answer for 330,000,000 plus Americans in 50 states with 50 different costs of living. Allowing you to keep more of what you earn allows you to help your neighbor vs giving that money to the gov't and having them spend it on neighbors they think need it.

That's the point our recession has nothing to do with other countries, purely self generated by economic policies that flooded a returning job market and recovering economy with stimulus cash, 1.9 TRILLION in March. Everyone says it was inflationary except those who continue to support Biden
Oh come on, you can't say biden's checks caused the recession but trump's had zero effect. Well, you can but it doesn't make it accurate or true.

Oh come on, you can't say biden's checks caused the recession but trump's had zero effect. Well, you can but it doesn't make it accurate or true.
what was the employment doing in January-March? Can you tell us what economic policies Biden created that you believe made a difference for the American people? 1.9 trillion March Stimulus did what? What was the inflation rate when Biden took office and at the end of the year? Now run like most liberals

what was the employment doing in January-March? Can you tell us what economic policies Biden created that you believe made a difference for the American people? 1.9 trillion March Stimulus did what? What was the inflation rate when Biden took office and at the end of the year? Now run like most liberals
How about you supply the numbers, I'm not up for a quiz.

How about you supply the numbers, I'm not up for a quiz.
I am not your research assistant, do your own starting at bea.gov, bls.gov, and treasury.gov. The numbers are quite clear,

I am not your research assistant, do your own starting at bea.gov, bls.gov, and treasury.gov. The numbers are quite clear,
The funny thing is, every time we supply the numbers, you turn out to be wrong.

I know I enjoyed my “Cadillac Plan” from AETNA. Acupuncture is awesome.
I think tying something fundamental like health to an employer is the antithesis of freedom. That market doesn’t seem so free
You're also faced with the hard choice of deciding doctors based on the plan your employer offers versus sticking to the doctor you prefer. This is often not a problem if you work in corporate America where they tend to offer plans from the larger health insurers, but it gets more complicated when dealing with smaller employers.

You never answered my question, do you think it is my responsibility to pay for your health insurance and vice versa? The "shit" argument is that the federal gov't is the answer for 330,000,000 plus Americans in 50 states with 50 different costs of living. Allowing you to keep more of what you earn allows you to help your neighbor vs giving that money to the gov't and having them spend it on neighbors they think need it.
Yes, in a civilized society I think basic healthcare should be a given. Like infrastructure. Do you feel any responsibility for the benefit you receive just from existing in society vs the jungle?
I doubt the COL will confuse too many— see: your Social Security check.
Government is a pragmatic choice for a bunch of things.

And how do you know that? You keep buying the data the left gives you ignoring the hidden costs in those countries paid for in taxes. Why is it you buy what the left tells you refusing to do the research to verify what they are telling you?

The “data” the so called “left” is available widely all around the world.

You can find information on it from multiple sources over many, many years. It isn’t a secret. And it isn’t propaganda.

So, the fact that people like you pay more for health care than anyone else in the world, by a factor of almost double, is a very very well established fact.

And talk radio, Fox and the rest of the fearmongers in the right wing noise machine serve their masters by getting you to vote to make sure it stays that way. And thus, continue to insure that pharmaceutical companies, hospital chains and insurance companies remain very very profitable!

Yes, in a civilized society I think basic healthcare should be a given. Like infrastructure. Do you feel any responsibility for the benefit you receive just from existing in society vs the jungle?
I doubt the COL will confuse too many— see: your Social Security check.
Government is a pragmatic choice for a bunch of things.

It is in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. To which the United States is a signatory.

Hurray! Recession!

Hopefully it'll be over as quickly as the previous one, and the GDP increases will more reflect those after that one. Would be nice if inflation also dropped to that level, and interest rates dropped by half as well.

Odds on that happening?

If you are driving 110 in a 55, it doesn't matter where you are or who you are. The same way if you eat 5,000 calories a day of junk food you are a train wreck.

Quotas aren't a thing for traffic violations.

Being fat is a choice, smoking is a choice, drinking is a choice, doing drugs is a choice. If you want a universal care model that lets me exclude idiots being idiots, we can have a conversation. I am however not interested in paying for other people's intentional bad choices.

Hurray! Recession!

Hopefully it'll be over as quickly as the previous one, and the GDP increases will more reflect those after that one. Would be nice if inflation also dropped to that level, and interest rates dropped by half as well.

Odds on that happening?

I would point out that overseas is not the panacea a lot of young people want to believe it is.

Look at the overall level of taxation in the US, it is particularly lower and it is *the most progressive in the world*. Look at the median household income? It is pretty damned significantly above any major global peer.
why do you continue to repeat this repeatedly disproven lie?

Back
Top Bottom