• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Final GDP reading shows US economy shrank 0.6% in the spring, cementing start of recession

And so, once again, conservative politics works to deprive millions of access to affordable health care for nothing more than ideological purposes.

Ironically, many of the victims of this sort of politics vote for it.
I know this is a waste of time, but let the Toronto paper explain it to you regarding Canadian Healthcare. If you took the time to research other countries you would find similar results but that doesn't fit your narrative this is ignored

And so, once again, conservative politics works to deprive millions of access to affordable health care for nothing more than ideological purposes.

Another study that you will ignore

It's an absolutely daft position, but one of the things we've seen is how popular the ACA became in areas where people who didn't have access to healthcare suddenly did. Now it is a much more challenging task to tell those same people it is a plan they shouldn't have. The ideological aspect of this is the weakest argument there is; simply because it solves nothing and does little more than serve platitudes to real problems.

No, the US is one of the very few if not the only country in the world whose economy is driven by the private sector and consumer spending which is impacted by high inflation and high interest rates. This country's GDP is 2/3 consumer spending, tell me another country in the world that has that high of a percentage?
Consumers stop consuming for a variety of reasons and most of them are not from their own choices and our 'recession' has nothing to do with other countries gdp. I would blame this current 'recession' on covid, supply chain issue, gauging and flat out greed taking advantage of a bad situation.

Oddly enough after the passing of this latest hurricane, gas prices are down to an average of $3.13 here in florida where I live, go figure.

So you don't live there but know why others do? Interesting logic on your part. "tax the shit out of me"? Those are what people in the states decide not people who don't live there. You keep buying that liberal bullshit
I don’t have to physically be there 24/7/365 to say objectively if you want to scream ‘Murica I would expect indoor plumbing and drinkable water. At minimum, usable water.
I decided that just looking at real world results, it’s not a “liberal” thing.

I know this is a waste of time, but let the Toronto paper explain it to you regarding Canadian Healthcare. If you took the time to research other countries you would find similar results but that doesn't fit your narrative this is ignored

You know that the cost of healthcare in nations is compared by the annual amount of GDP spent on it, right?

Or maybe you didn’t know and are spouting off on things that you know nothing about once again.

Seems like you would have used your vacation time to learn something, but I guess not.

Consumers stop consuming for a variety of reasons and most of them are not from their own choices and our 'recession' has nothing to do with other countries gdp. I would blame this current 'recession' on covid, supply chain issue, gauging and flat out greed taking advantage of a bad situation.

Oddly enough after the passing of this latest hurricane, gas prices are down to an average of $3.13 here in florida where I live, go figure.
That's the point our recession has nothing to do with other countries, purely self generated by economic policies that flooded a returning job market and recovering economy with stimulus cash, 1.9 TRILLION in March. Everyone says it was inflationary except those who continue to support Biden

Great so why should your high property taxes be deductible from your federal return?

Are you on Medicare? 44 million Americans are so how do you insure 330 million? You really don't care do you? what happens to private insurance with Medicare for all and where does incentive lie in that world of yours?
Why do Conservatives insist on such severe “incentives?” How free are people where decisions are forced between health and housing? Between gas for the car and groceries?
Speaking of results:
We pay twice as much in the US for poorer results than our peer nations.
“Incentive” used to be ‘I want my grandkids to have it easier than me.’ Or, I guess for a liberal, humanity in general.
My generation is also the first to decline in standard of living compared to our parents (Boomers)
Y’all are the epitome of “I got mine, **** you.” You benefited from a post war economy, climbed that ladder. And pulled it up behind you.

I don’t have to physically be there 24/7/365 to say objectively if you want to scream ‘Murica I would expect indoor plumbing and drinkable water. At minimum, usable water.
I decided that just looking at real world results, it’s not a “liberal” thing.
And the people of Miss determine through their election process what they are willing to pay for. States are pure democracies so are you telling me that you don't support democracy now? You speculate based upon what you are told and dodge the question, what is the poverty dollar amount in this country and then the compassion of what that buys in say Miss or California?

How many Canadians or Europeans would trade their system, in real life, for America’s?
Overall? Percentage wise?
I’ll wait

It's an absolutely daft position, but one of the things we've seen is how popular the ACA became in areas where people who didn't have access to healthcare suddenly did. Now it is a much more challenging task to tell those same people it is a plan they shouldn't have. The ideological aspect of this is the weakest argument there is; simply because it solves nothing and does little more than serve platitudes to real problems.
I submit Kentucky as exhibit 1, your Honor…

Why do Conservatives insist on such severe “incentives?” How free are people where decisions are forced between health and housing? Between gas for the car and groceries?
Speaking of results:
We pay twice as much in the US for poorer results than our peer nations.
“Incentive” used to be ‘I want my grandkids to have it easier than me.’ Or, I guess for a liberal, humanity in general.
My generation is also the first to decline in standard of living compared to our parents (Boomers)
Y’all are the epitome of “I got mine, **** you.” You benefited from a post war economy, climbed that ladder. And pulled it up behind you.

I would point out that overseas is not the panacea a lot of young people want to believe it is.

Look at the overall level of taxation in the US, it is particularly lower and it is *the most progressive in the world*. Look at the median household income? It is pretty damned significantly above any major global peer.

How many Canadians or Europeans would trade their system, in real life, for America’s?
Overall? Percentage wise?
I’ll wait
Probably the same number that come to this country for medical treatment because of lack of service or inability to get timely service in Canada. What does that have to do with personal choice in this country and what makes you an expert? People have freedoms in this country that you seem willing to giv up. to do so move to a state more to your liking and pay for it like Californians

Does it bother you that 8% of the US population remains uninsured with ACA in place? that is over 26 million? You don't force people into ACA and then take credit for it

Yep. It's also fallen down the list of healthcare issues among Republican voters. The ACA is another option to either being entirely reliant on your employer or not having health insurance at all, and that's filled a gap. The ideologues who have insurance might not care, but for those who have benefited it's a different story.

I would point out that overseas is not the panacea a lot of young people want to believe it is.

Look at the overall level of taxation in the US, it is particularly lower and it is *the most progressive in the world*. Look at the median household income? It is pretty damned significantly above any major global peer.
I’m not young, but thank you.
I went to 3 high schools in 4 years, grew up in Germany and North Africa. Then Singapore.
US citizens are getting shafted, I’m sorry. It’s just a fact. It will never change because the people “in charge” like it the way it is 🤷🏻‍♀️

I went to 3 high schools in 4 years, grew up in Germany and North Africa. Then Singapore.
US citizens are getting shafted, I’m sorry. It’s just a fact. It will never change because the people “in charge” like it the way it is 🤷🏻‍♀️
Love it, US citizens are being shafted? I have the freedom in this country to move wherever I want and because of the extra money due to lower taxes the ability to do that. What makes liberals so arrogant that they know what is best for everyone else?

Yep. It's also fallen down the list of healthcare issues among Republican voters. The ACA is another option to either being entirely reliant on your employer or not having health insurance at all, and that's filled a gap. The ideologues who have insurance might not care, but for those who have benefited it's a different story.
I know of a few (probably more than a few) people that owe their life and health to the ACA. Had the ACA been in place 20 years ago, my life would be significantly different (parents insurance eligibility til 25).
I think it’s disgusting 12 states actively deny Medicaid expansion.
What the actual ****

And the people of Miss determine through their election process what they are willing to pay for. States are pure democracies so are you telling me that you don't support democracy now? You speculate based upon what you are told and dodge the question, what is the poverty dollar amount in this country and then the compassion of what that buys in say Miss or California?
Can we at least agree on indoor plumbing as a prerequisite for ‘civilization?’
I ask because right wingers are quick to point out microwaves and refrigeration as evidence of how lazy everyone (else) is.

I know of a few (probably more than a few) people that owe their life and health to the ACA. Had the ACA been in place 20 years ago, my life would be significantly different (parents insurance eligibility til 25).
What the actual ****
Yep. The idea of relying on employer based healthcare is a rather precarious one, and isn't uniform across the country since the best (and less costly ones) are found in large corporations. If you happen to live in areas where employer provided healthcare costs more for your employer, then your paycheck deduction is higher. A family member of mine works for one the US top sports leagues and her insurance is fully paid for, which is the exception not the norm.

Again, I am not sure how you reach a conclusion without data points to compare. It is a universal fact that everyone, in anything, thinks the grass is always greener on the other side.

Now, I am sure that is probably true for people who struggle in life. If you are shoveling fries at 40 then yes, Denmark would be better for you (but they won't take you). If you are a reasonable performer it is far more debatable. Look at the UK? The US median household income is something like 50% higher in the US than the UK. Would you trade that for the NHS? A debatable point.

You spent time in Germany, how much is their university system worth to you? I think the average American has a gross misperception about Germany's uni system. Yes, it is free, for the top 10-15% of students who gain admission. The rest? Pay full boat or learn a trade. That is pretty true in the US as well. The top 10-20% of students in the US can largely go to school free as well. The problem is the 20th-80th percentiles, or at least that is where the problem is perceived to exist.

My point is that you can't just reasonably say "Americans are getting shafted" without being able to quantify that somehow.

What the actual ****
So growing up were you taught that someone else would pay for your personal responsibility issues like healthcare?

Can we at least agree on indoor plumbing as a prerequisite for ‘civilization?’
I ask because right wingers are quick to point out microwaves and refrigeration as evidence of how lazy everyone (else) is.
So you telling me that it is the federal taxpayers responsibility to pay for your indoor plumbing and that it doesn't exist in Miss?

Why do you even live in this country since you apparently think it is so bad? Why don't you go to the TX border and sell this bs to those coming across the border illegally? Liberal ideology on display in all your posts

Love it, US citizens are being shafted? I have the freedom in this country to move wherever I want and because of the extra money due to lower taxes the ability to do that. What makes liberals so arrogant that they know what is best for everyone else?
That’s not even the point “liberals” are making. Would you prefer living in a Charles Dickens novel? Gated community to the Country Club and back? Because that’s a third world country.
Why tf can’t you be human and just congratulate yourself on being so well prepared in life and personally responsible for your outcome? You have truly mastered your own fate, kudos!
Maybe try that whole charity thing? Appreciate what you have and pay it forward?
DBAJ

That’s not even the point “liberals” are making. Would you prefer living in a Charles Dickens novel? Gated community to the Country Club and back? Because that’s a third world country.
Why tf can’t you be human and just congratulate yourself on being so well prepared in life and personally responsible for your outcome? You have truly mastered your own fate, kudos!
Maybe try that whole charity thing? Appreciate what you have and pay it forward?
DBAJ
No, I prefer living in a country where I have the freedom to be the best I can be. I don't expect you to pay for my healthcare why do you expect me to pay for yours? Doesn't appear that you have any idea where the gov't gets it money. I had a couple great parents that taught me personal responsibility and also taught me to help my neighbor which I do probably giving more to charity than many liberal actually make.

What you seem to want is a gov't telling you what to do and paying for it with other people's tax dollars. You choose where to live in this country and there are 50 states all with different costs of living, and different tax structures. I happen to live in a state with NO income taxes and property taxes that are determined by the county in which I live. County taxes fund police, fire, hospitals, schools, and all other public services thus the people control those issues. You cannot expect a gov't in a country of 330,000,000 plus Americans to take care of all those personal responsibility issues especially with 50 different costs of living, taxes, Constitutions and governors.

Now back on topic, any idea what percentage of U.S. GDP is consumer spending? When you learn that you will realize just how bad inflation and taxes impact spendable income

Back
Top Bottom