• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

filibuster

Are you for changing the filibuster law?

• Change it

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Keep it how it is

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This isn't meant as a bump, but this is interesting. It is a link to a vid clip of Tim Russert's show on nbc (btw, he is a republican did ya know). It is about the fillibuster and the other ways that people can be blocked and what the Repubs did to Clinton's nominees.

Enjoy. http://homepage.mac.com/onegoodmove/movies/meetthepressallen.html

"It is about the filibuster and the other ways that people can be blocked and what the Repubs did to Clinton's nominees."

Sort of. It seems he was saying there is not much of a difference between the two administrations confirmation and appointment numbers. Both parties have checked each other successfully.

I am for keeping the filibuster. It is another check in a system of checks and balances regardless of how cheesy it is. Yes it makes changing things more difficult but it makes making stupid changes difficult as well.
People in general tend to do stupid things more frequently than smart things I have observed.
Negotiate harder like the man said, If something can make it past partisanship to clearly show it is the right thing to do it should pass muster.

akyron said:
"It is about the filibuster and the other ways that people can be blocked and what the Repubs did to Clinton's nominees."
Sort of. It seems he was saying there is not much of a difference between the two administrations confirmation and appointment numbers. Both parties have checked each other successfully.

I am for keeping the filibuster. It is another check in a system of checks and balances regardless of how cheesy it is. Yes it makes changing things more difficult but it makes making stupid changes difficult as well.
People in general tend to do stupid things more frequently than smart things I have observed.
Negotiate harder like the man said, If something can make it past partisanship to clearly show it is the right thing to do it should pass muster.
Yeah, I should have worded it better. That is exactly what Russert was saying. But then the Republican said, "that's not the numbers I have." What a crock of bs. I liked the "makes changing things more difficult, but it makes making stupid changes difficult as well." very accurate.

ShamMol said:
Is that enough to justify changing the rules that have stood for so long?
I venture that the majority of the masses does not have much understanding of the filibuster, its origin, its uses, and its changes over time. I know, I didn't.

There is an excellent discussion of the filibuster by a law professor at George Mason University. It's a couple of years old, so it should be relatively taint-free.

http://www.cato.org/dailys/07-16-03.html

Fantasea said:
I venture that the majority of the masses does not have much understanding of the filibuster, its origin, its uses, and its changes over time. I know, I didn't.
[/url]
Doesn't matter what the public knows, they should look it up like you did. The point stands.

ShamMol said:
Doesn't matter what the public knows, they should look it up like you did. The point stands.
What did you think of the stance of Kennedy, Biden, et.al.?

I really don't see how any Republican can be for changing the filibuster laws.

Think about it. What are the democrats actually threatening? To filibuster the nominees.

SO LET THEM

There hasn't been a real filibuster in congress in a damn long time, and it's gotten too soft in there. If the democrats want to read from the phone book for 23 hours, let them. Then, when the public revolts, there will be a vote.

Don't change the rules because you're not willing to deal with the costs.

RightatNYU said:
I really don't see how any Republican can be for changing the filibuster laws.

Think about it. What are the democrats actually threatening? To filibuster the nominees.

SO LET THEM

There hasn't been a real filibuster in congress in a damn long time, and it's gotten too soft in there. If the democrats want to read from the phone book for 23 hours, let them. Then, when the public revolts, there will be a vote.

Don't change the rules because you're not willing to deal with the costs.
Did you read this? If so, kindly comment on it. If not, kindly do so, and then comment on it.

Fantasea said:
Did you read this? If so, kindly comment on it. If not, kindly do so, and then comment on it.

I haven't heard that the filibuster rules were changed so as to eliminate the need for actual debate. I have my doubts about the veracity of that statement.

And you're right, no current Senate is bound to the decisions of the previous senate by anything other than tradition. But tradition is one of the most important parts of our political process.

RightatNYU said:
I haven't heard that the filibuster rules were changed so as to eliminate the need for actual debate. I have my doubts about the veracity of that statement.
Verify.
And you're right, no current Senate is bound to the decisions of the previous senate by anything other than tradition.
Changes occurred as recently as 1987. How much of a tradition is that?
But tradition is one of the most important parts of our political process.
Please comment on the references to Kennedy, Biden, et.al. They didn't seem to concerned about tradition.

Fantasea said:
RightatNYU said:

I can't find anything. I looked for it, but I've yet to see anyplace offer an opposing argument. However, I think this is more of a result of the fact that the statement offered by your source is rather out there. I have never heard a similar argument made, and have no reason to take the word of a fellow at Cato above anyone else. I personally have no reason to belive that it's true, and one of my professors who is knowledgeable on the subject intimated the same to me.

Changes occurred as recently as 1987. How much of a tradition is that?

I wasn't referring to the specific case of the filibuster. My point is that the attitude put forth in that article, saying that "no prior senate can lay down rules for the current senate" is detrimental to the political process.

Please comment on the references to Kennedy, Biden, et.al. They didn't seem to concerned about tradition.

What references are you referring to? The bill from 95 where they wanted to end all filibusters? It was political maneuvering by the left then, just as this is political maneuvering by the right now. You don't have to convince me that Kennedy is a hypocritical douchebag.

vauge said:
Why is it that it only took 51 votes to get Clinton's judges in?

Now, they are demanding 61.
Big difference is that during Clinton's era the Republicans had a majority in the Senate and that means they prevented Clinton's appointees (60+) from leaving the committee and thus were never voted on. They didn't need to filibuster because they stopped it in committee.

Let's at least admit that both parties prevent judicial appointments for political reasons, and both sides have equally manipulated the system.

26 X World Champs said:
Let's at least admit that both parties prevent judicial appointments for political reasons, and both sides have equally manipulated the system.

Sure. It is a shame they can not work together to accomplish something worthwhile. Once again the parties appear to be more concerned with being reelected than accomplishing the job.

akyron said:
Sure. It is a shame they can not work together to accomplish something worthwhile. Once again the parties appear to be more concerned with being reelected than accomplishing the job.
And as the elections of 1996 which launched their continuing slide to oblivion have shown, it's getting tougher and tougher for the Dems to avoid being marginalized.

Back
Top Bottom