• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Filet Mignon vs Prime Rib

I chose

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
You're in a nice restaurant for a nice dinner on a special occasion. You don't mind spending the extra money to get what you really want.

Which cut of meat do you chose? Why?

Porterhouse.

NY on one side and Filet on the other.

Filet, though I agree with Luther that a Porterhouse is an even better choice.

Ribeye, just about medium rare

grilled-rib-eye-steak-with-basil-butter-recipe_HomeMedium

ribeye, medium rare

but of the two choices: prime rib

unlike filet, it has flavor

Ribeye is definitely the correct answer.

Filet mignon is a good cut obviously, but really...its just overpriced ribeye. Prime rib...Ive never really understood the accolades. Any meat you have to serve with au jus and horseradish probably cant stand on its own.

Bone-in ribeye, rare to medium-rare.

Bone in ribeye, so rare a skilled vet could revive it.

I really like ribeye, but sometimes Prime rib is good also.

Ribeye is definitely the correct answer.

Filet mignon is a good cut obviously, but really...its just overpriced ribeye. Prime rib...Ive never really understood the accolades. Any meat you have to serve with au jus and horseradish probably cant stand on its own.

FYI, Prime rib IS a ribeye.

You're in a nice restaurant for a nice dinner on a special occasion. You don't mind spending the extra money to get what you really want.

Neither, I look for something interesting the chef can make, If I want either of those I make them at home. Much better.

Prime rib usually refers to a roast, "ribeye" usually refers to a steak cut.

same part of the animal, but different cooking.

Right. Roasted v grilled but the same piece of meat and all that "prime" means is the USDA grade.

Right. Roasted v grilled but the same piece of meat and all that "prime" means is the USDA grade.

prime rib Roast is usually multi rib bone hunk of meat, the other is a cut steak, from same part of the animal, but not the same flavor or end result.

"prime rib" no longer refers to the grade of meat.

Filet is always good. Mmmm.

(Damn it! Now you've made me hungry, and all I've got for lunch is a salad :( ).

Last night I grilled a Honey Sriracha flank steak that was so good it'd make you run home to mama. In fact I chopped up some leftover steak this morning and added it to an omelette and threw in a little homemade honey Sriracha sauce I had left.

prime rib Roast is usually multi rib bone hunk of meat, the other is a cut steak, from same part of the animal, but not the same flavor or end result.

"prime rib" no longer refers to the grade of meat.

If you take a chicken drumstick and roast it or grill it it's still a chicken drumstick.

Of the two I would usually prefer the prime rib or rib eye, but order filet mignon happily as well. On other occasions I like a T-Bone, but have to be rather hungry.

FYI, Prime rib IS a ribeye.
But the preparation is radically different. Grilling or pan searing a ribeye steak brings out and develops flavors while a carved slice of prime rib is bland (to my taste). Good opportunity for clarification though. Thanks!

ribeye, medium rare

but of the two choices: prime rib

unlike filet, it has flavor

Exactly!!! Filet is just plain bland. Yes, it's super tender, but it's also so lean and tasteless that it's just not that great a cut of meat. A lot of that has to do with the way that filet is normally cooked, with low seared to non-seared ration (where a LOT of the flavor comes from). The reason they wrap filets in bacon is to add flavor and fat to it, since it lacks both. Now a GOOD rib-eye on the other hand has great flavor with a nice balance of fat to lean. When cooked properly, it has a great seared to non-seared ratio. It also has texture, a "chew" if you like. Filet, just kind of mushes in your mouth, while a rib-eye is something you bite into and chew, enjoying it's texture and flavor.

BTW - The best way to cook a rib-eye is to pan fry it in lard (yes, the stuff in the Mexican food section in the green box), with salt and pepper, then about 2 minutes before it's done, top it with a mixture of butter and smoked blue cheese...

Back
Top Bottom