• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Filet Mignon vs Prime Rib

I chose

• Total voters
Ribeye. So good.

Grilled fish, I stay away from red meat, most of the time, honest!! lol

Prime rib was all the rage when I was younger growing up in Rockford Il, but while I have served a lot of it I never really got into it. And lets be honest, most of the time now it is not as good, because the kitchen does not take the time to do it right. When I was working at the Sky Room Restaurant at the airport we used to get real prime, bone in, and cut the fat layer back to add seasonings. Then we roasted low and slow. Now the rib served tends to be cut off the bone at the processing plant, most or all the fat layer is cut away too, and chefs add almost no seasoning because they want us to "taste the meat as it is". And for me a cup of real beef juice and another of a decent horseradish sauce need to come on the side, but when it does now it is usually crap.

So I have to go with the Filet, though most of the time I actually pick a NY Strip, bone in please, mid rare. Butter poached mushroom caps on top would be nice.

World famous steak house. I'd suggest you just go along with what they say:

https://peterluger.com/

My brother ordered the ordered the salmon. He didn't like it, go figure.

T-bone for me, every time. Right off the grill.

this is where i get my steaks and beef

only certified butcher in DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1koIumnL0

and this is their prep for their boneless rib roast

Since you posted yours, here's an article about my butcher and the "Ugly Steak" which is my favorite non-traditional cut.

It ain’t ugly, it’s my dinner - Inside Tucson Business: News

This particular cut is perfect for grilling and comes out fork tender without the massive fat content of most ribeyes.

I've eaten at Peter Luger's at least a half a dozen times. Their steaks are outstanding but they break pretty much all the rules of steak making.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Prime first choice but I wouldn't say no to a filet either

baked potato, a lot of green salad with a simple oil and vinegar dressing and could you bring me either some stuffed mushroom caps first or throw about half a plate of mushrooms on the side with either

also bring a bottle of good red

Prime rib being a roast? Got my vote. I'll take a rare prime rib with medium horseradish and Yorkshire and mashed over any steak I've ever met.

LOL going to PL for salmon is like ordering chicken at Pizza Hut. When I go to PL I only order the steaks. Sometimes the bacon as an appetizer but steaks is what theyre known for.

tU6CuAT.jpg

Prime rib, especially when it's been marinaded for a long time and just falls off the bone, rare to medium rare. Yeah it's messier to eat but it's worth it. My carnivorous side really goes to town on that... om nom nom!

Ribeye is definitely the correct answer.

Filet mignon is a good cut obviously, but really...its just overpriced ribeye. Prime rib...Ive never really understood the accolades. Any meat you have to serve with au jus and horseradish probably cant stand on its own.

My sister, who can flat cook, used to make Yorkshire pudding with prime rib. If you're lucky, you get one of the browned-down slices off the outside and combine it with a rare slice from the center. Add some creamed spinach, maybe some Lyonnaise potatoes, a big red wine--addictive.

Neither, I look for something interesting the chef can make, If I want either of those I make them at home. Much better.

That was my first instinct too but if I were in a steak house and I had to have steak I'd go for the T-bone hoping it would be half as good as my mother used to cook for us in Zambia when I was a kid.

Once on holiday in the Canary Islands a couple of French visitors were eating 3 tables away from me (I refused to eat in the British restaurants there) and they had huge T-bone steaks on their plates, no vegetables or anything else to spoil the flavour. Man I wished that was the night I had money to burn in my pocket as per the OP.

Exactly!!! Filet is just plain bland. Yes, it's super tender, but it's also so lean and tasteless that it's just not that great a cut of meat. A lot of that has to do with the way that filet is normally cooked, with low seared to non-seared ration (where a LOT of the flavor comes from). The reason they wrap filets in bacon is to add flavor and fat to it, since it lacks both. Now a GOOD rib-eye on the other hand has great flavor with a nice balance of fat to lean. When cooked properly, it has a great seared to non-seared ratio. It also has texture, a "chew" if you like. Filet, just kind of mushes in your mouth, while a rib-eye is something you bite into and chew, enjoying it's texture and flavor.

BTW - The best way to cook a rib-eye is to pan fry it in lard (yes, the stuff in the Mexican food section in the green box), with salt and pepper, then about 2 minutes before it's done, top it with a mixture of butter and smoked blue cheese...

That's why you wrap them in bacon. :2razz:

fm148.jpg

That being said you won't find a better steak than a sirloin at Lindy's Steakhouse.

ls.jpg

348s.jpg

Of all the cuts of meat, I almost never hear o people bringing up tritip. It was big in cali and nearly non existent outside the state, It is basically bottom sirloin, or the bottom sirloin portion on the cow, and often used to make sirloin burgers everwhere else. We used to bbq them, they were tender and flavorfull, and surprisingly cheap, which is probably why they are used in sirloin burgers for restaraunts rather than sold as a whole cut of meat.

Brisket in texas is a staple, and nearly everyone here would take brisket over a top name steak. Ofcourse it is a leftover cut that used to be thrown out a long time ago, but leave it to texas ranchers who sold all their good cuts to pay the bills to turn the crappy cuts they had left into awesomeness.

Seriously though for me bbq or slow smoked tritip or brisket beats the pants off any steak, and if it does not, you did not do it right.

You're in a nice restaurant for a nice dinner on a special occasion. You don't mind spending the extra money to get what you really want.

Which cut of meat do you chose? Why?
Of the two: prime rib. Filet is overpriced for not enough meat.

But... porterhouse or rib eye are better than both... though sometimes I am in the mood for prime rib specifically.

I'll take a one inch thick rib eye cooked medium rare.

Prime Rib is just too darn fatty. At least with properly done Texas Brisket, they burn the fat away.

I think someone needs to say it, so I will.

This is so cool to be talking about food, delicious food.

I get enough politics in my life, too much really, the great fun of eating I refuse to pollute.

Of all the cuts of meat, I almost never hear o people bringing up tritip. It was big in cali and nearly non existent outside the state, It is basically bottom sirloin, or the bottom sirloin portion on the cow, and often used to make sirloin burgers everwhere else. We used to bbq them, they were tender and flavorfull, and surprisingly cheap, which is probably why they are used in sirloin burgers for restaraunts rather than sold as a whole cut of meat.

Brisket in texas is a staple, and nearly everyone here would take brisket over a top name steak. Ofcourse it is a leftover cut that used to be thrown out a long time ago, but leave it to texas ranchers who sold all their good cuts to pay the bills to turn the crappy cuts they had left into awesomeness.

Seriously though for me bbq or slow smoked tritip or brisket beats the pants off any steak, and if it does not, you did not do it right.
I grew up, and lived most of my life, in California and we used to eat tri-tip all the time. And you're right, it was awesome. Very tasty. I never hear of it now that I live elsewhere.

I grew up, and lived most of my life, in California and we used to eat tri-tip all the time. And you're right, it was awesome. Very tasty. I never hear of it now that I live elsewhere.

It has to be cooked right. It is forgiving to a point, then it is leather.

Back
Top Bottom