• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fighting tax evasion with computers

middleagedgamer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Computers are wonder machines. A computer can singlehandedly and accurately examine thousands of sheets of paper a minute, and identify the slightest error amongst a million pages.

I say, we can better fight tax evasion if we turn all our 1040s into scantrons (at least, the portion that you're supposed to fill out). Remember scantrons? I've spent a few years serving as a substitute teacher, so I'm familiar with scantrons. They're mostly used to grade tests, but they're capable of so much more. For example, they're capable of taking opinion polls, as long as the poll questions are multiple choice.

We can also use them for taxes. Granted, we'll have to turn the single pages into entire booklets in order to accommodate all these bubbles, and only a few of them would be filled in, but that's a small price to pay.

Not only that, but the computer can keep a record of who is supposed to be filing tax returns, and the computer will send out a red flag to the IRS agent, after April 15, giving out a list of those who have yet to turn in their taxes for that year, altogether.

Employers will withhold their employees' taxes using the same technology. The W-2's that employees receive each year will have the W-2 information, in plain English, but, instead of having to include a copy of your W-2 with your taxes, you simply fill in the bubbles for the serial number for that W-2. The IRS computer will then match up 1) the tax-filer information on your 1040, 2) the W-2 serial number, and 3) the employee information on their corresponding W-2. Only if there is an inconsistency would the IRS even have a need to investigate.

"But, Middleagedgamer, what if my employer spells my name wrong?"

Then, whoever is at fault for the needless IRS audit will pay the IRS the cost of their investigations, and you can't discriminate against anyone because you were found to be at fault for a needless IRS audit. To do so would be just as illegal as discriminating because you're black.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

You are already supporting the IRS through taxes to conduct the audit.

A better idea would be reduce the overall tax rate and remove all of the deductions.

I was trying to find out how many IRS agents we have. If there is talk of hiring 16,000 more to enforce the new healthcare laws, it must be a lot.

You are already supporting the IRS through taxes to conduct the audit.
How am I doing that?

A better idea would be reduce the overall tax rate and remove all of the deductions.
What the hell does that have to do with catching tax evaders?

I was trying to find out how many IRS agents we have. If there is talk of hiring 16,000 more to enforce the new healthcare laws, it must be a lot.
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

How am I doing that?
If you pay taxes, then you are giving the government money. About 11 percent of your income tax goes to funding the "general government". The IRS is apart of that group.

What the hell does that have to do with catching tax evaders?
Hey chief, tone it down a notch or two. If you remove the "loop-holes", then there would be no tax evaders! The only way to evade taxes without having fake deductions would be not claim an income. If you are already in a position to avoid claiming income, then you're outside the system you want to set up anyway. Most people are paid by check with a reporting system tied to a bank.

If I can claim thousands of dollars of deductions example my mortgage interest, 2 children, miles driven for work, cell phone that I am required to have, uniform, donations, professional journals... and lets say that adds up to 5% of my income. Why not just reduce the tax rate by 5% and get rid of all the mindless deductions. This would stream line the IRS system needing fewer workers cost less to you and me.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

I can only assume that his/her opinion of your idea would require increasing the size of the IRS hence it would cost more.

If you pay taxes, then you are giving the government money. About 11 percent of your income tax goes to funding the "general government". The IRS is apart of that group.
Ok, so I realize and accept that taxes are a necessary evil.

Do you have a point?

Hey chief, tone it down a notch or two. If you remove the "loop-holes", then there would be no tax evaders! The only way to evade taxes without having fake deductions would be not claim an income. If you are already in a position to avoid claiming income, then you're outside the system you want to set up anyway. Most people are paid by check with a reporting system tied to a bank.
I think you're confusing tax evasion with tax avoidance.

Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I can claim thousands of dollars of deductions example my mortgage interest, 2 children, miles driven for work, cell phone that I am required to have, uniform, donations, professional journals... and lets say that adds up to 5% of my income. Why not just reduce the tax rate by 5% and get rid of all the mindless deductions. This would stream line the IRS system needing fewer workers cost less to you and me.
That is a different thread for a different day.

"Tax relief" and "fighting tax evasion" are two completely different things.

I can only assume that his/her opinion of your idea would require increasing the size of the IRS hence it would cost more.
Actually, this will reduce the size of the IRS, all else being equal, because one employee can singlehandedly evaluate a thousand tax returns a minute, due to the fact that he's using computers.

It's called "automation." Look it up. It's been around for over a hundred years.

I think you're confusing tax evasion with tax avoidance.
You tell me then, how does a scantron and a computer stop me from trafficing drugs, selling illegal art, or selling my body for sex? How does your computer collect tax from the above transactions? How does your computer make a bartender claim all his/her tips? It doesn't.

Instead of being a whiny little jobless teenager who's mad because mommy won't let him take the car out to the movies tonight because it's a school night... Discuss the point I made: If you remove the "loop-holes", then there would be no tax evaders[yes it is illegal to make fake claims]! The only way to evade taxes without having fake deductions would be not claim an income. If you are already in a position to avoid claiming income, then you're outside the system you want to set up anyway....

The system you want to set up to get me to pay taxes on my Fantasy Football winnings would be a waste of resources. Instead reform the system to remove ALL deductions and loopholes. Make it a mildly tiered tax based on reported income, period.

You tell me then, how does a scantron and a computer stop me from trafficing drugs, selling illegal art, or selling my body for sex?
Those are all different crimes.

How does your computer collect tax from the above transactions?
When you've failed to pay a tax, altogether, the computer will beep that you have not yet filed your tax return.

How does your computer make a bartender claim all his/her tips? It doesn't.
I never said the system was perfect. However, it's better than what we have, today.

If you remove the "loop-holes", then there would be no tax evaders
Yes, there would be.

There would be tax resisters and tax protesters.

The only way to evade taxes without having fake deductions would be not claim an income.
No, it's not.

If you are already in a position to avoid claiming income, then you're outside the system you want to set up anyway....
You're completely strawmanning.

The system you want to set up to get me to pay taxes on my Fantasy Football winnings would be a waste of resources. Instead reform the system to remove ALL deductions and loopholes. Make it a mildly tiered tax based on reported income, period.
I agree with a simpler tax system, but some people just don't want to pay taxes, altogether.

Ironic that you are the one ranting and yelling asking what the hell does that have to do... Your location is "inside my mother" And my calling you a child gets me flagged. Yet that post I was flagged for is the one you responded to in most mild manner yet in this thread... Liberals.
Those are all different crimes.
No, the IRS does not see "crimes". For the sake of this thread and what you are attempting to accomplish, they are cash businesses. How does your plan force those people to pay taxes?
When you've failed to pay a tax, altogether, the computer will beep that you have not yet filed your tax return.
What happens now if you decide to not file this year?

Yes, there would be.
Please explain your position. I know you feel strongly about your point, but you are not going to change my opinion with 4 words. Does this work for you, "No there won't be." Adults don't typically respond well to "because I said so."

My point is this: If you remove all the tax deductions and make set tax rate the required amount to be paid, then the only way to evade taxes is to not claim income. Explain why my thought process is wrong.

You're completely strawmanning.
Why is it a strawman to point out that the people you wish to catch are outside the system you want to set up? I am pointing out a critical flaw in your theory. How does your system catch people who deal in cash businesses? Again, if you remove tax deductions out of the equation, how else can one evade taxes? Maybe you can sting a few sentences together on this one as I am very interested in learning more on your opinion on this point.

I agree with a simpler tax system, but some people just don't want to pay taxes, altogether.
How does your system make the people who refuse to pay taxes, actually pay the taxes? How does it differ from the current system?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom