• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fifty Shades Of Grey Is Unreadable Crap

Pinkie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
HITH did this novel get published, nevermind make the NYT best seller list?

1342094778121.cached.jpg

WHY do we accept such crap in the erotica genre'?

Author E L James has quickly become a household name, she is known as the woman that brought the world "Fifty Shades of Grey." She is credited with helping to boost book sales for major stores and even assisted a small paper mill that was failing. James has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight with two of her books still holding spots in the top five on theNew York Times Bestseller List. On top of her monetary success James has also become respected in the world of women's equality. E L James, along with many other influential women, was honored at the Woman of the Year Awards and Lunch, hosted by Sandi Toksvig. The event took place on October 22 at the InterContinental London Park Lane Hotel.

'Fifty Shades of Grey' author E L James honored at 'Women of the Year' event - National Fifty Shades of Grey | Examiner.com

I wrote better erotica than this when I was 17! Are we so sexually repressed here in the US that we'll celebrate any novel with a BDSM theme, even if it is written by a hack?

What say you? Did you think this book was worthy of the praise it has received?

Don't be judgmental. For many this is the first entry into "that world" and really it is just a simplistic relationship story that takes the reader into the subject slowly.

If it brings a bit of excitement into people's lives, is that such a bad thing?

Also, you will have to post some of your works so we can judge.

It is undeniably the absolute worst, most idiotic, most asinine book I have ever read in my entire life. The writing is so incredibly amateurish and repetitive… I mean really, how many times can Anastasia blush, for ****’s sake? Does this sound like a woman that enjoys being beaten? Jeepers, she needs to get in touch with her inner goddess more. Oh wait…. LOL. Seriously, the characters are retarded, unlikeable and dull. Hands down the worst book ever written.

Don't be judgmental. For many this is the first entry into "that world" and really it is just a simplistic relationship story that takes the reader into the subject slowly.

If it brings a bit of excitement into people's lives, is that such a bad thing?

Also, you will have to post some of your works so we can judge.

It's not the S&M that is bothersome. Did you even attempt to read it????

I read all three books just to see what the hype was all about. Anastasia drove me nuts. Grey had the potential to be a really complex character, but they kind of washed it out with all of the nonsense drama that was used to build climax.

That said: I'll still watch the movies if they cast Alexander Skarsgard as Grey

It's not the S&M that is bothersome. Did you even attempt to read it????

I read it. I know exactly to what you are referring. It definitely wasn't that great but it found an audience. The worst book I ever read? No, I've read plenty worse.

I read it. I know exactly to what you are referring. It definitely wasn't that great but it found an audience. The worst book I ever read? No, I've read plenty worse.

I'd say Twilight was worse, but they both had the same problems.

Sorry, man, James could not write her way out of a 1st grade essay contest.

I wish we had somewhere on DP that I could post one of my stories. Holy ****, if this broad is a "writer", I'm a goddamned Pulitzer prize winner.

Names, Ali. I need titles and authors here, because off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I've ever read that was worse.

I didn't even get through the first chapter.

I wish we had somewhere on DP that I could post one of my stories. Holy ****, if this broad is a "writer", I'm a goddamned Pulitzer prize winner.

It's extraordinarily narcissistic of you to claim your writing is better than that of a woman who has sold 40 million books. Clearly her writing is more in line with what people like than yours is, or you would be similarly successful would you not?

Names, Ali. I need titles and authors here, because off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I've ever read that was worse.

Wait, you're calling it the worst book you've ever read and you didn't even finish a single chapter of it?

It's extraordinarily narcissistic of you to claim your writing is better than that of a woman who has sold 40 million books. Clearly her writing is more in line with what people like than yours is, or you would be similarly successful would you not?

I like my stuff better. It never seemed to me like it was good enough to publish, but if this dreck is making the NYT's Bestseller List, mayhaps I will rethink that.

Meanwhile, what I may or may not have been able to produce doesn't dim my powers of observation: this book was 10xs worse than any Harlequin Romance ever written.

The worst series I ever read were the Chronicles of Thomas Covanent by Stephen Donaldson. At the time there were 6 books, but now I see he added 3 more. When the "hero" has leprosy in the real world, you know you are reading a very different set of books.

Worst book was the Silmarrilian, I guess by Tolkien.

So, we strongly agree and that makes me want to ask you for a few of the BEST books you read. Prefer modern authors and "speculative" fiction. Please?

The worst series I ever read were the Chronicles of Thomas Covanent by Stephen Donaldson. At the time there were 6 books, but now I see he added 3 more. When the "hero" has leprosy in the real world, you know you are reading a very different set of books.

And you did, because she asked?

That's the most charming "good hubs" story I have heard in ages, Ali. Good on you!

Yeah, I guess. From what I've heard, most wives want their husbands to read the book.

Can't you put your writing in a blog? Just asking, IDK.

I only ever read Tolkien's "Rings" triology, but it's hard to imagine him as a bad writer. OTOH, I think some Stephen King is world-class and he has certainly laid some eggs.

Can't you put your writing in a blog? Just asking, IDK.

IDK, either. My stuff is not obscene, but it's also not child-friendly. I haven't really thought about it.

If you want to read one, say so and I'll PM a link to you.

No idea, I've never read it, but I think it's silly to say that a book you've read less than a chapter of is the worst book ever written.

I'm old. I don't have weeks to give an author I would have rejected in the 3rd grade.

Sure. Please do.

IDK, either. My stuff is not obscene, but it's also not child-friendly. I haven't really thought about it.

If you want to read one, say so and I'll PM a link to you.

Back
Top Bottom