• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FIFA World Cup Qatar

Boy.. Denmark might be disappointing, but at least we were not favourites to win the group.. Belgium did not qualify either, lost to Morocco and could not beat Croatia who are basically old men...
De Bruyne should apply for Dutch citizenship and leave that group of hasbeens behind. I do feel for Lukaku: he has bad luck, a shit agent, and a bad sense of timing.

This is the craziest World Cup ever. For 5 minutes both Spain and Germany were out and Japan and Cosat Rica were through. In the end it looks that only Germany is going out with Costa Rica....

All the people who are complaining about Qatar should just shut up. Nobody, including the athletes or any of the people watching inperson or on TV has to do so. If you really are upset about the location you could have and should have stood up and stood your ground to prevent it. Now that it's there, you choice is to not go, not participate, not watch. This is when yo find out how much conviction they really have or is it just mouthing off.
You seem upset.

This is the craziest World Cup ever. For 5 minutes both Spain and Germany were out and Japan and Cosat Rica were through. In the end it looks that only Germany is going out with Costa Rica....
I'm watching both matches. CRC and GER what a shootout!

By all counts Germany screwed itself up already in the first game against Japan.

Now it's 2018 revisited and serves them right too.

Not a tournament team anymore by a long shot.

Germans discovered their rythmn too late.

If its any solace to them, they're ending on a better note this time around.

There should be a beer ban at every games. We don't want a repeat of the Euros do we now..
Well, that was probably as much cocaine-fuelled as by pints of Stella. E.g. the WC Belgium v Morocco afters in Antwerp, cocaine capital of Europe.

I guess what I also meant is that the lack of footballing historicity in Qatar is doing a favour to underdogs who are prepared to give it a go.

Spain are probably thinking they're happy to have swerved Croatia, but it's easy to see how their Moroccan neighbours can channel their inner Braveheart for that.

De Bruyne should apply for Dutch citizenship and leave that group of hasbeens behind. I do feel for Lukaku: he has bad luck, a shit agent, and a bad sense of timing.
From the outside it looks like ye olde Flemish/Francophone divide has reared its ugly head in the squad, pretty much the same as the Real Madrid/Barça split that traditionally held the Spanish team back.

But I don't see any self-respecting Belgian applying for Dutch citizenship in a hurry. The time I was in a band with a bunch of Amsterdammers and we played a festival in a somewhat overlooked Belgian town sweetly called Aarschot. Even the most ignorant English person on first arriving in Scotland would not be so stupid, condescending and offensive. And that was even before we got there.

Well, that was probably as much cocaine-fuelled as by pints of Stella. E.g. the WC Belgium v Morocco afters in Antwerp, cocaine capital of Europe.
Reports are that it was the Belgian fans that started it and the local police escalated the troubles by going after the Moroccan fans.

There were similar scenes last night when Morocco went through, and they were all peaceful except where the police supposedly heavy handedly went against the celebrating fans.

Now I am not saying there are not boneheaded drunk coked up Moroccan fans looking for a fight..all countries have such morons...I am saying that the police in certain areas tend to hit first and ask questions later because of the ethnicity and skin colour of the fans.

I guess what I also meant is that the lack of footballing historicity in Qatar is doing a favour to underdogs who are prepared to give it a go.
Frankly I don't think it is that. I think it is European football arrogance that has called teams like Japan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica as "underdogs" or not worthy of being there, when in fact many of their players (not the Saudis) play in top leagues. They are good teams, not filled with superstars, but good teams.

Spain are probably thinking they're happy to have swerved Croatia, but it's easy to see how their Moroccan neighbours can channel their inner Braveheart for that.
Morocco will be easier than the alternative, but won't be a pushover by any means. Especially considering almost all teams have weaknesses that you can exploit. Spain's is that they dominate possession, but the opposition are defensively a unit. It was amazing to see Japan defend yesterday..was like a defensive dance that was controlled by one mind. Very hard to break that down for any team.

Are you kidding me! Equal pay? You should be paid what you are worth. Do the women bring as much value as the men? What a joke.

Are you kidding me! Equal pay? You should be paid what you are worth. Do the women bring as much value as the men? What a joke.

Judged merely on wins, and let's throw in titles and medals, and growing the sport, the mens team needs to fork over 5/6 of their earnings to the women.

Judged merely on wins, and let's throw in titles and medals, and growing the sport, the mens team needs to fork over 5/6 of their earnings to the women.
Well, I guess that when misogyny is one of the issues in this WC, it was bound to come into this thread sooner or later.:rolleyes:

I haven't seen any of the matches but just heard of some of the bad performances of the "guys", so, other than with this one, I'll certainly be watching the women's WC next year..

Alone on the enjoyment that the European Cup gave, Rapinoe and the girl gang should give that extra incentive for watching the more international event.

It’s not judged on wins, titles, and medals. It’s judged on the ability to generate money. Who generates the money these women want equal rights too? The men have already generated more money this year than the last two World Cup wins for the women. Metals and “outreach“ aren’t worth anything compared to actual profit generation. Why aren’t women‘s leagues watched as much as mens leagues. It’s because there is a significant difference in talent favoring the men. People don’t pay to watch women play soccer.

Well, I guess that when misogyny is one of the issues in this WC, it was bound to come into this thread sooner or later.:rolleyes:

I haven't seen any of the matches but just heard of some of the bad performances of the "guys", so, other than with this one, I'll certainly be watching the women's WC next year..

Alone on the enjoyment that the European Cup gave, Rapinoe and the girl gang should give that extra incentive for watching the more international event.
It’s about calling things out as they are instead of be guided by emotion. It’s telling that the “bad performance” of the guy’s is generating significantly more income than the girls.

”Rapinoe and the gang”? What? They’re an unlikable bunch.

Uruguay needs one goal and they are through, else South Korea are through... Craziest World Cup ever.

South Korea through... Uruguay almost assaulting the ref after the game....

Regardless of what personal dislike anyone wants to voice on here over the US's women's football team, in the period of 2015 - 2018 they were nearly on par with the men's team when it comes to generated revenue.

In some calculations, higher.

So much for BS opinions presented without substantiation.

It’s not judged on wins, titles, and medals. It’s judged on the ability to generate money. Who generates the money these women want equal rights too? The men have already generated more money this year than the last two World Cup wins for the women. Metals and “outreach“ aren’t worth anything compared to actual profit generation. Why aren’t women‘s leagues watched as much as mens leagues. It’s because there is a significant difference in talent favoring the men. People don’t pay to watch women play soccer.
Women. In the US, women. It's like you maybe didn't read the post you were quoting.

It’s about calling things out as they are instead of be guided by emotion. It’s telling that the “bad performance” of the guy’s is generating significantly more income than the girls.

”Rapinoe and the gang”? What? They’re an unlikable bunch.
What emotion? Pulisic had to break himself in half to live up to media pressure. The women? They are favorites any time they take the pitch. Hope Solo was a better midfielder than half the guys on the men's team, right now. Those Bert will even let play. If you anything about futbol, you'll get the reference.

What emotion? Pulisic had to break himself in half to live up to media pressure. The women? They are favorites any time they take the pitch. Hope Solo was a better midfielder than half the guys on the men's team, right now. Those Bert will even let play. If you anything about futbol, you'll get the reference.
Hope solo was a goalkeeper.

South Korea beats Portugal. Japan beats Spain. Uruguay and Germany going home. Who could have imagined? What exciting times in football.
And no one won their group with maximum points... For the first time.

I'm happy for Korea. I wrote somewhere else I wouldn't mind losing this game if it meant they qualified.

Enjoyed watching Vitinha, Pepe and Dalot. Everyone else was trash to be honest.

Ronaldo particularly annoying and wasteful. Having a moan when he came off too, like a proper captain...

His first half was similar to Lukaku's performance last night, except he moves and finishes even worse.

That's not our only problem though. Plenty of out of form players. Neves is a joke of his former self. Leão's attitude is weird, doesn't seem to play for the team, so I can see why he doesn't start games. Isn't he supposed to be Serie A's best player?

Back to Ronaldo though, he was bearable when he scored 50 goals a season, now all we're left with are his pathetic antics.

Bernardo and Bruno Fernandes for instance are both 28. It's sad that they'll be 32 come next world cup, probably having accomplished nothing for the national team, and possibly retiring from the national team shortly after Ronaldo. I don't even have a problem with 'old' players at all, specially when they're not a liability, like Pepe, who is easily still our best center back.

We seem to be wasting a good generation of players in the hands of a very questionable manager who seems to bow down to one player.

I find it hard to get behind this team these days.

Back
Top Bottom