• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fidel Castro's statements on Israel called anti-Semitic

I don't think I would support legislation to jail someone for anti-semetic speech unless it's intent was to incite violence. However, I support the EUMC's position on defining anti-semetism and on it's position on bias towards Israel. It makes no sense to hold Israel to a higher standard than anyone else, and I see that a lot at DP.

As far as how we moderate hate speech, not something that is appropriate, here.

That's fine, its your opinion.

Idiotic, inaccurate, and inflammatory, yes. Anti-semetic? It is according to EUMC, which through recommendations of RAXEN and the OSCE, defined it as such:

Here's a link to this information: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/102301.pdf
Go to page 6.

So yes, it IS anti-semetism.
That's just lame.
Comparing the policies of the US to Nazis is just hyperbolic rhetoric. But if the US is replaced with Israel, then it's a racial hatred thing?

So Castro believes that Israel's defense of its citizens' lives from the attempts to take them by Islamic terrorists equals to the Nazis' systematical extermination of millions of Jews.
Do people really need to argue about whether it's anti-Semitic or not to see how ridiculously and insanely immoral such statement is?
It degrades the inhumanity of the Nazis' actions and is sort of a denial of history.

That's just lame.
Comparing the policies of the US to Nazis is just hyperbolic rhetoric. But if the US is replaced with Israel, then it's a racial hatred thing?

Absolutely... because of historical context. Big difference in relating the US to Nazism verse relating Israel to Nazism. It amazes me that folks don't see this.

So Castro believes that Israel's defense of its citizens' lives from the attempts to take them by Islamic terrorists equals to the Nazis' systematical extermination of millions of Jews.
Do people really need to argue about whether it's anti-Semitic or not to see how ridiculously and insanely immoral such statement is?
It degrades the inhumanity of the Nazis' actions and is sort of a denial of history.

This is certainly a subset of the idiocy of Castro's statement, but you bring another point to light that further demonstrates it's anti-semitism. By making such an idiotic comparison, it demeans and degrades the holocaust itself.

Castro is pretty irrelevant. He has one foot in the grave and said something on par with Pat Robertson or some other aging ideologue with creeping senility. He probably wears adult diapers, for Christ's sake!

Who gives a crap?

Probably the families of Cuban immigrants and the Cuban people under the thumb of the despot. :shrug:

There is nothing anti-Semitic about what Castro said or comparing actions of the Israeli government to those of the Nazis. I could care less what the EU thinks, considering many of the major member states ban genocide denial, as defined by the State, and hate speech, as defined by the State. Criticizing Israel by likening their actions to those of the Nazis is not anti-Semitic and the notion that someone can say something that is anti-Semitic and not actually be anti-Semitic is ridiculous on its face.

Antisemitism as a word is rapidly losing meaning as its definition is broadened. Soon it'll be only almost as meaningful as the word nazi. But I am sort of a grammar and language nazi... I am not much of a soup nazi though.

More important question:
Who cares what Castro thinks?

Castro is a cruel tyrant who has enslaved the Cuban people for 51 years, dilapidate the island resources, banned dialogue and peaceful protest, and doesn’t tolerate dissent of any kind. This is the guy who lash out against the State of Israel, an amoral and compulsory liar, a machiavelic character.

Exactly.
So for him to say something anti-semitic is really no big shocker - thus - it's not even news or debat worthy.

Of course Castro is a full-fledged anti-Semite. Of the 15,000 Jews living in the island in 1959, only 1,500 remain. 90% left after the regime took away their business and properties, and banned all religions.

Cubans never were anti-Semitic people, but the regime published a great amount of anti-Israel propaganda (it control all the media), even calling the Holocaust Zionist propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom