• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FIBA men's world championships

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Of course, the U.S. will be a heavy favorite, but will be interesting to see how the strategy of one center will go. The U.S. definately has pace to its game. It will be interesting to see if any of the European teams or Argentina can even try to match it.

In the first warm-up game, the U.S. thrashed China 98-51. Upcoming warm-ups, against the likes of France, Spain, Greece and Lithuania should provide a sterner test, but they look pretty solid so far.

I would say Argentina are favourites followed by the US and defending champions Spain. The US has not won the World Championship for 16 years. While Spain is lacking its top star (Paul Gasol) there is some very young talent (including Paul Gasol's younger brother). The US after all dont show up with their overpaid egotistical stars unless it is the Olympics.

I would say Argentina are favourites followed by the US and defending champions Spain. The US has not won the World Championship for 16 years. While Spain is lacking its top star (Paul Gasol) there is some very young talent (including Paul Gasol's younger brother). The US after all dont show up with their overpaid egotistical stars unless it is the Olympics.

Do you know anything about this US team? If you did, you would not be saying the Argentines, good as they are, are the favorites...

Do you know anything about this US team? If you did, you would not be saying the Argentines, good as they are, are the favorites...

I do, and it is hardly full of mega stars. And it is not me that is saying the Argentines are favourites, it is the rankings that say that. Argentina are nr 1 followed by the US and then Spain.

But I do find it sad that not the best players are playing in the world cup, not even from Spain. Representing your country against other countries must be the pinnacle of your sport.. unless of course it is an American sport it seems :(

The US is the most talented team playing in the worlds; and by leaps and bounds. The top international players are not present (Nowitzki, Gordon, Noah, Yao, Gasol)

Starts this coming weekend... and the US barely beat Spain in a warm up match the other day.. if it had not been for a massive block in the dying seconds then the US would have lost.

Starts this coming weekend... and the US barely beat Spain in a warm up match the other day.. if it had not been for a massive block in the dying seconds then the US would have lost.

But then comes back and crushes Greece. of course, anti-US Pete ignores that fact... The US won each and every one of its prep games... US is the favorite...

But then comes back and crushes Greece. of course, anti-US Pete ignores that fact... The US won each and every one of its prep games... US is the favorite...

anti-US my ass... sorry if the rankings are not to your liking, but the fact is the Argentina are favourites followed by the US, and then Spain. As for crushing Greece.. that you did. Lets see if you can repeat that when it actually matters :)

anti-US my ass... sorry if the rankings are not to your liking, but the fact is the Argentina are favourites followed by the US, and then Spain. As for crushing Greece.. that you did. Lets see if you can repeat that when it actually matters :)

who really cares about the rankings when in most tournaments, the USA's NBA players don't even play....

The US is taking this tournament hands down.

..but the fact is the Argentina are favourites followed by the US, and then Spain.

Every betting line I've seen has the US as the favorite by a LOT, followed by Spain. Argentina is actually like 4th or 5th from all of the lines I've seen.

Final would be Turkey vs. USA.
US takes IMO, would be a hard match though.

Final would be Turkey vs. USA.
US takes IMO, would be a hard match though.

Turkey is a surprise no doubt about that.. but home court advantage... never count it out, although the US should take it. All the other top teams under preformed this world championship.. then again, not the best players in the world were there so...

Turkey is a surprise no doubt about that.. but home court advantage... never count it out, although the US should take it. All the other top teams under preformed this world championship.. then again, not the best players in the world were there so...

So, you finally changed your tune on the US team... only one game has really been close so far...

Well it's over, just as I said before the championship has started, the US has taken it hands down.
Congratz to America.

Pete is simply not an objective evaluator of basketball talent. BTW, what was the average age of team USA?

Back
Top Bottom