• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fewer than half of Americans oppose gay marriage, poll finds

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(CNN) -- Fewer than half of Americans oppose legalized same-sex marriage, according to a new poll on the issue released Wednesday, with significant shifts in public opinion on the issue just since last year.

More Americans continue to oppose gay marriage than support it, according to the poll, which was released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center. But for the first time since Pew starting asking about same sex marriage 15 years ago, fewer than half of those polled said they oppose legalizing the institution.

The poll revealed other firsts. For the first time since Pew began asking about the issue, more white mainline Protestants and white Catholics favor gay marriage than oppose it.

"The shift in opinion on same-sex marriage has been broad-based, occurring across many demographic, political and religious groups," Pew's polling analysis said.

Fewer than half of Americans oppose gay marriage, poll finds - CNN.com

Personally I don't understand why anyone would oppose it. 2 folks, just wanting to be as miserable as the rest of us :2razz:

Who cares if its two dudes? Doesn't effect you. So relax.

There is really no logical reason to oppose SSM. And it seems like the majority of the 30 under crowd is in favor of legalizing it.(Would love to see a poll on that) It'll happen sooner or later, I just hope it's sooner.

Im trying to figure out how gay marriage actually affects other couples. The reasons Ive gotten have been that Im a communist, Obamabot, illegal. Personally the government should get out of marriage and piss everyone off.

The reasons Ive gotten have been that Im a communist, Obamabot, illegal.

Or unholy. :roll: Now there's the richest [read: stupidest] reason - wanting to see legalizing SSM makes you bad because you believe in separation of church and state. :roll: What will the WBC a-holes think of next?

separation of church and state? then the govt shouldn't be in the marriage business. if a couple of pillow biters can find a church willing to perform the ceremony then good for them.

the govt should issue "civil unions" to anyone stupid enough to want to get married, as long as both partners are human.

Who cares if its two dudes? Doesn't effect you. So relax.

I would care if your son wanted to marry mine. We wouldn't want this. No no no... I'm sure this is one [probably the only] thing we would agree on... not a good match! :lamo No other unions between families either... deal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom