• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Few Republicans mention LGBT community in Orlando reactions

chromium

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-mention-lgbt-community-in-orlando-reactions/

"Jimmy LaSalvia, a longtime Republican strategist and founder of the defunct LGBT group GOProud, said that the reaction to Orlando reminded him of why he left the party.

"They ignore and reject the reality that LGBT are part of life in America today," LaSalvia said. "Remember the Charleston black church shooting? GOP politicians there fell all over themselves to take down the Confederate flag. I doubt anything like that will happen with the gay club shooting."

Obviously Trump is one exception to this as he hasn't spent years doing everything possible to oppress lgbt, so his credibility isn't completely shot like it would be from Cruz or Mcconnell

I don't know what to think honestly. I've been suspicious of posters here and politicians who were always anti gay, possibly feigning sympathy now as an excuse to bash muslims

But i also predicted the first day what LaSalvia said, that homophobia is more deeply rooted in america today than racism, so with the charleston massacre there was immediate response....Yet here they pretend the actual victims, their actual identity and the actual reason they were attacked doesn't exist. Even the freaking republican rep from orlando has not referred to the victims' identities. Much less will they address the discrimination in florida and 30 other states such as no hate crime, employment, or housing protection

Because it seems to me those politicians, the party they belong to, and their constituents in rural and southern districts share the same hatreds as the killer

I figured i would start an outcry to their denial that lgbt exist, the way they demonized Obama for not saying "radical islam"

Thoughts?

The massacre in Orlando is being used as a political football by both parties. Democrats trampled over the dead to scream that gun control is the savior, and some Republicans have used this issue as well, without acknowledging the victims.

You have to admit that Obama's angry refusal to even name the cause that motivated the attacker is very troubling. It would be like discussing David Koresh while refusing to call him a Branch Davidian, or discussing Hitler while refusing to call him a Nazi.

How can you solve a problem, while refusing to admit what the problem is?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-mention-lgbt-community-in-orlando-reactions/

"Jimmy LaSalvia, a longtime Republican strategist and founder of the defunct LGBT group GOProud, said that the reaction to Orlando reminded him of why he left the party.

"They ignore and reject the reality that LGBT are part of life in America today," LaSalvia said. "Remember the Charleston black church shooting? GOP politicians there fell all over themselves to take down the Confederate flag. I doubt anything like that will happen with the gay club shooting."

Obviously Trump is one exception to this as he hasn't spent years doing everything possible to oppress lgbt, so his credibility isn't completely shot like it would be from Cruz or Mcconnell

I don't know what to think honestly. I've been suspicious of posters here and politicians who were always anti gay, possibly feigning sympathy now as an excuse to bash muslims

But i also predicted the first day what LaSalvia said, that homophobia is more deeply rooted in america today than racism, so with the charleston massacre there was immediate response....Yet here they pretend the actual victims, their actual identity and the actual reason they were attacked doesn't exist. Even the freaking republican rep from orlando has not referred to the victims' identities. Much less will they address the discrimination in florida and 30 other states such as no hate crime, employment, or housing protection

Because it seems to me those politicians, the party they belong to, and their constituents in rural and southern districts share the same hatreds as the killer

Beyond ridiculous. How is anyone not already in your echo chamber supposed to take this seriously? The entire GOP party and everyone in the southern states (at least) are just the same as the killer.

I figured i would start an outcry to their denial that lgbt exist, the way they demonized Obama for not saying "radical islam"

Thoughts?

And if they did say something more specific, you'd resent that and accuse them of pandering.

Beyond ridiculous. How is anyone not already in your echo chamber supposed to take this seriously? The entire GOP party and everyone in the southern states (at least) are just the same as the killer.
he didn't say they are the same he said they share the same hatreds, which is 100% true

And if they did say something more specific, you'd resent that and accuse them of pandering.

The republican led state of florida excludes lgbt from its hate crime protections. Hmmm, why is this if not certain groups are more deserving of crime?

Bigotry is all the same to me, you know this. Are you saying there's a reason the republicans have not mentioned who the victims were after this barbaric hate crime other than they hate lgbt? Is this much different from the silence due to contempt for the victims in 1972?

I accused some of them of taking advantage of an attack on a group they despise (lgbt) in order to attack another they despise (muslims). You reacted to this when mickeyw was doing it. You know what i mean.

IF these politicians wish to truly convince me they condemn the attack and mourn the victims, they can start by undoing the anti gay laws they have passed in state after state that only encourage discrimination and hate crimes, or hell, at least mentioning who the victims were! Kind of like how in south carolina they took down the flag after the attack on the black church. You know, take some responsibility for sustaining a culture of 2nd class citizens

Why the anger at homophobia only when it comes from white Americans yet virtually nothing about the in being a problem in Islam? How did the shooting in Florida become the fault of Christians and Republicans?

he didn't say they are the same he said they share the same hatreds, which is 100% true

yes, thank you. He's so eager to jump on me, he inserted some language about ted cruz was the missing 2nd shooter or something

Why the anger at homophobia only when it comes from white Americans yet virtually nothing about the in being a problem in Islam? How did the shooting in Florida become the fault of Christians and Republicans?

because Christians and republicans are homophobic

first off, muslims are about 3% of the population in america, but yes, radical islam is a problem and i included it in my list of what i think were causes in the other thread. I could go on all day about the evils of ISIS but why bother, i think everyone agrees

however, i did not mention christianity, but whatever. Since you bring it up, what i can't stand is acting like - as many are doing - only muslims are a threat to lgbt and therefore christianity is superior. There are radical christians, radical mormons and amish and atheists

what i am calling out here is totalitarian hate speech such as "vote for me and i'll protect you by deporting/imprisoning all muslims" disguised as fake sympathy, by virtually an entire class of elected officials who despise and constantly attempt to oppress the minority group the victims belonged to

Last edited:
The republican led state of florida excludes lgbt from its hate crime protections. Hmmm, why is this if not certain groups are more deserving of crime?

Bigotry is all the same to me, you know this.

Why, on earth, would you think I know this? You're entirely one sided, don't give a damn what anyone thinks who doesn't agree with you and you'd rather justify your hate for Republicans by saying that Republicans are just the same as the killer than condemn the real cause of what happened here.

Oh, and hey, I'm not protected by any hate crime legislation either - must mean I'm more deserving of crime too.

Are you saying there's a reason the republicans have not mentioned who the victims were after this barbaric hate crime other than they hate lgbt? Is this much different from the silence due to contempt for the victims in 1972?

Nothing I say will make a bit of difference so, no, I'm not saying anything.

I accused some of them of taking advantage of an attack on a group they despise (lgbt) in order to attack another they despise (muslims). You reacted to this when mickeyw was doing it. You know what i mean.

Stop ****ing assuming anything about me. No, I disagree that every Republican in the south and the entire party itself is just the same as the killer. That clear enough for you? Now you don't have to assume any more.

IF these politicians wish to truly convince me they condemn the attack and mourn the victims, they can start by undoing the anti gay laws they have passed in state after state that only encourage discrimination and hate crimes, or hell, at least mentioning who the victims were! Kind of like how in south carolina they took down the flag after the attack on the black church. You know, take some responsibility for sustaining a culture of 2nd class citizens

:doh:

Well, I did ask how this became the fault of Repubs. Nobody should spend too much time trying to convince you of anything. It's pointless, in my experience.

Why, on earth, would you think I know this? You're entirely one sided, don't give a damn what anyone thinks who doesn't agree with you and you'd rather justify your hate for Republicans by saying that Republicans are just the same as the killer than condemn the real cause of what happened here.
so its fine too blame an entire religion for the shootings but not a political party? you do know you can stop being a republican anyday you want too right?

what would you be saying if the shooter was a Westboro baptist christian?

Sure, 100% true, 100% of the time, right?

yes all white southern rural Christian republicans are homophobic..... thats why they were okay with voting republican, otherwise they wouldn't have

Why do these murdered people NEED to be identified according to their sexual orientation at all times, per the desires of left wing ideologues? What is it that requires they be labeled this way at all times? Why are you so obsessed with making sure certain people are labeled, loud and clear at all times for everyone to be reminded at all times with what types of folks they desire sexually? Who ****ing cares, honestly? They were murdered in cold blood, senselessly. Why are you standing over them mandating everyone else make sure to at all times identify them as gay?

I've been suspicious of posters here and politicians who were always anti gay, possibly feigning sympathy now as an excuse to bash muslims

My god you are one confused individual. You're bleating about equality for gays, yet chastising conservatives for not broadcasting and labeling at all times who's gay, and then vehemently defending an ideology that is more bigoted toward gays than any other in all of hisory, all at the same time.

Thoughts?

Yeah, seek help.

Oh, and hey, I'm not protected by any hate crime legislation either - must mean I'm more deserving of crime too.

rofl your religion and race and gender are both protected under hate crime and employment and housing laws. They do NOT just protect the minority. My sexuality, however, is not, because republicans (and democrats in the recent past) hate it. And you'll never have to worry about discrimination anyway

Nothing I say will make a bit of difference so, no, I'm not saying anything.

that's a no. Anyway i don't need your opinion because i have all the evidence in the world that most republicans hate lgbt

Last edited:
what should they be identified as?

Dead victims of a mass shooting. We don't need to be brow-beaten by you left wing nutcases to preface every reference to them as "the LGBT community," any more than we need to identify the Sandy Hook or Columbine victims as "privileged white children."

Why are these labels so critical to you? Does the world not make sense to you unless people are appropriately labeled and categorized in the particular ways that make you feel comfortable and happy?

Why do these murdered people NEED to be identified according to their sexual orientation at all times, per the desires of left wing ideologues? What is it that requires they be labeled this way at all times? Why are you so obsessed with making sure certain people are labeled, loud and clear at all times for everyone to be reminded at all times with what types of folks they desire sexually? Who ****ing cares, honestly? They were murdered in cold blood, senselessly. Why are you standing over them mandating everyone else make sure to at all times identify them as gay?

My god you are one confused individual. You're bleating about equality for gays, yet chastising conservatives for not broadcasting and labeling at all times who's gay, and then vehemently defending an ideology that is more bigoted toward gays than any other in all of hisory, all at the same time.

Yeah, seek help.

you realize how ****ing bull**** it would've been received if the republicans in south carolina after the black church massacre just vomited "Oh we have sympathy for the victims," never mentioned the race of the victims and never did anything to address the racism they were inspiring - like taking down the damn confederate flag?

they would've never heard the end of it, at best

Dead victims of a mass shooting. We don't need to be brow-beaten by you left wing nutcases to preface every reference to them as "the LGBT community," any more than we need to identify the Sandy Hook or Columbine victims as "privileged white children."

Why are these labels so critical to you? Does the world not make sense to you unless people are appropriately labeled and categorized in the particular ways that make you feel comfortable and happy?

yeah i'm sure they would've refrained in your wildest imagination from referring to the sandy hook victims as "children" too

that would REALLY accomplish much to fix the problems with nonexistent security at elementary schools, for instance

shocking i know, but motive and risk assessment are critical to preventing future tragedies. It's just the republicans - and you it sounds like - wish the tragedy would get off the news so they can go back to their usual routine of openly gay bashing and passing "religious freedom" aka license to discriminate laws

you realize how ****ing bull**** it would've been received if the republicans in south carolina after the black church massacre just vomited "Oh we have sympathy for the victims," never mentioned the race of the victims and never did anything to address the racism they were inspiring - like taking down the damn confederate flag?

they would've never heard the end of it, at best

yeah i'm sure they would've refrained in your wildest imagination from referring to the sandy hook victims as "children" too

that would REALLY accomplish much to fix the problems with nonexistent security at elementary schools, for instance

shocking i know, but motive and risk assessment are critical to preventing future tragedies. It's just the republicans - and you it sounds like - wish the tragedy would get off the news so they can go back to their usual routine of openly gay bashing

What are you even talking about? Honestly. What do you even think you're trying to say or ask? You appear to just be ranting incoherently.

Why are you so obsessed with these labels?

because they were targeted for being gay..... did you know that or are you just confused? thats why he shot them..... if white chritsians were shot for being white and christian youd be screaming and whining about how oppressed you all are

shocking i know, but motive and risk assessment are critical to preventing future tragedies. It's just the republicans - and you it sounds like - wish the tragedy would get off the news so they can go back to their usual routine of openly gay bashing and passing "religious freedom" aka license to discriminate laws

what do you mean "get back to"? X factor started a thread bashing transsexuals the day of the massacre... before the bodies were even cold

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-a...they-guide-using-gender-neutral-pronouns.html

Back
Top Bottom