• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Few Republicans mention LGBT community in Orlando reactions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-mention-lgbt-community-in-orlando-reactions/

"Jimmy LaSalvia, a longtime Republican strategist and founder of the defunct LGBT group GOProud, said that the reaction to Orlando reminded him of why he left the party.

"They ignore and reject the reality that LGBT are part of life in America today," LaSalvia said. "Remember the Charleston black church shooting? GOP politicians there fell all over themselves to take down the Confederate flag. I doubt anything like that will happen with the gay club shooting."

Obviously Trump is one exception to this as he hasn't spent years doing everything possible to oppress lgbt, so his credibility isn't completely shot like it would be from Cruz or Mcconnell

I don't know what to think honestly. I've been suspicious of posters here and politicians who were always anti gay, possibly feigning sympathy now as an excuse to bash muslims

But i also predicted the first day what LaSalvia said, that homophobia is more deeply rooted in america today than racism, so with the charleston massacre there was immediate response....Yet here they pretend the actual victims, their actual identity and the actual reason they were attacked doesn't exist. Even the freaking republican rep from orlando has not referred to the victims' identities. Much less will they address the discrimination in florida and 30 other states such as no hate crime, employment, or housing protection

Because it seems to me those politicians, the party they belong to, and their constituents in rural and southern districts share the same hatreds as the killer

I figured i would start an outcry to their denial that lgbt exist, the way they demonized Obama for not saying "radical islam"

Thoughts?

You mean that the Republicans are like a little over 40 percent of Germans according to a recent study ("Die enthemmte Mitte", University Leipzig) feel it is revolting to see men kissing men in public? Maybe that is true. Maybe it isn't. Do you have any research?
On the other hand, it seems that this shooting resembles the school shooting kind, where an individual went out and killed in an environment he knew and for reasons from a deranged fantasy world that have little to do with the psychology and sociology driving these events.

I personally think it revolting to see people jump on the tragedy and try too take possession of it for their pet political issues. This guy weeps "Gay!", that one "Down with guns!" and the one over there that the Republicans are horrible.

it was about the usage of cis and zir, he opens the thread by saying he will cuss the hell out of anyone using them, in fact the whole thread is just him saying how trans people annoy him, he even ends it with saying DP helps him "deal with it" since his barbers kid is trans

besides hes a regular gay basher

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls...e-targets-make-their-bathrooms-less-safe.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls...ers-leave-public-bathroom-while-they-use.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/253152-should-public-restrooms-still-segregated-gender.html

he's certainly troubled when it comes to trans issues

i still remember he used to threaten to stop giving a damn about gay rights even when he was aligning with the severely anti gay republican party. As you can see in this thread which he cares more about. Yes, that is the support we need all right

Fortunately it's 4 am so if you go to bed now like you promised, you won't **** up the thread too much by the time there's replies worth reading

Hard to imagine it falling too much farther from where it started, but you do have a point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-mention-lgbt-community-in-orlando-reactions/

"Jimmy LaSalvia, a longtime Republican strategist and founder of the defunct LGBT group GOProud, said that the reaction to Orlando reminded him of why he left the party.

"They ignore and reject the reality that LGBT are part of life in America today," LaSalvia said. "Remember the Charleston black church shooting? GOP politicians there fell all over themselves to take down the Confederate flag. I doubt anything like that will happen with the gay club shooting."

Obviously Trump is one exception to this as he hasn't spent years doing everything possible to oppress lgbt, so his credibility isn't completely shot like it would be from Cruz or Mcconnell

I don't know what to think honestly. I've been suspicious of posters here and politicians who were always anti gay, possibly feigning sympathy now as an excuse to bash muslims

But i also predicted the first day what LaSalvia said, that homophobia is more deeply rooted in america today than racism, so with the charleston massacre there was immediate response....Yet here they pretend the actual victims, their actual identity and the actual reason they were attacked doesn't exist. Even the freaking republican rep from orlando has not referred to the victims' identities. Much less will they address the discrimination in florida and 30 other states such as no hate crime, employment, or housing protection

Because it seems to me those politicians, the party they belong to, and their constituents in rural and southern districts share the same hatreds as the killer

I figured i would start an outcry to their denial that lgbt exist, the way they demonized Obama for not saying "radical islam"

Thoughts?

I do not like the gay lifestyle myself, but I do not dislike gay people, or would I tolerate anyone putting down any of my gay friends of the past or present.

There is a huge difference between homophobia, hating gays, or just a dislike of the gay lifestyle. The sooner you learn this, the better.

he's certainly troubled when it comes to trans issues

i still remember he used to threaten to stop giving a damn about gay rights even when he was aligning with the severely anti gay republican party. As you can see in this thread which he cares more about. Yes, that is the support we need all right

he doesn't give a damn about gay rights its like those people who used to say black people should not fight for de-segregation because it will just "upset people" even more and black people will be worse off....or people who criticize feminists by saying their "not doing things right" or say "modern feminists" are the problem or "1st world feminists". he disguises his bigotry under the false pretense of constructive criticism..... I bet if I search long enough I could find him saying BLM needs to be more like martin luther king :2razz:

I do not like the gay lifestyle myself, but I do not dislike gay people, or would I tolerate anyone putting down any of my gay friends of the past or present.

There is a huge difference between homophobia, hating gays, or just a dislike of the gay lifestyle. The sooner you learn this, the better.

oh yes, the kind of 'dislike of the gay lifestyle (lol)' that doesn't precipitate discriminatory laws, hate speech, and pretending the victims of a massacre at a gay club weren't gay at all

you must not tolerate republicans then, because with few exceptions, that's all they do when it comes to lgbt

oh yes, the kind of 'dislike of the gay lifestyle (lol)' that doesn't precipitate discriminatory laws, hate speech, and pretending the victims of a massacre at a gay club weren't gay at all

you must not tolerate republicans then, because with few exceptions, that's all they do when it comes to lgbt

Please do not tell me what I like or dislike, or what I agree with politically. We have never met over a beer or coffee......ok?

I am a fiscal & law and order conservative, but I lean a little bit liberal on a lot of societal issues ...............which includes healthcare, education, and gays.

Look it up yourself...

Urban Dictionary: gay lifestyle

It is a term widely used in the 70's 80's and 90's. Many older people still use the term.

so its a slur

from your source

a stereoytpe used by social/political conservatives to describe gay men being promiscuous, drinking, bar hopping, using drugs, cross-dressing and orgies. However, heterosexual men and women engage in these most of these behaviors as swingers, during beach week and spring break, in Las Vegas, on Miami's South Beach and at fraternity and sorority parties.'

"Gay lifestyle is used by conservative homophobes to vilify gay people. When people are asked what gay lifestyle means most of them will only mention things that elicit a negative response: Drinking, drugs, promiscuity, cross-dressing, bar hopping and orgies."

They seem to neglect the fact most of these things (with the possible exception of cross dressing) are parts of straight society as well." Sketchy Mess Jeoffery

Being gay isn't a "lifestyle", y'know.

Being gay isn't a "lifestyle", y'know.

I know this very well, and it's not a term or phrase that I would personally use. I know the difference, but it still has relevance to people who do not understand gays.

I still hear the term used from time to time, and it is from people around my age.....or a little older/younger.

I know this very well, and it's not a term or phrase that I would personally use. I know the difference, but it still has relevance to people who do not understand gays.

I still hear the term used from time to time, and it is from people around my age.....or a little older/younger.

OK, I gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :)

so its a slur

from your source

I used the term in my first post on the issue, and it just goes to show habits from the past. The term gay lifestyle wasn't necessarily meant as a slur back then by many of it's users. A lot of terms and phrases have changed meaning over the years and habits are hard to break.......even for me.

A lot of things have changed since the 70's - 80's.......my heydays.

I used the term in my first post on the issue, and it just goes to show habits from the past. The term gay lifestyle wasn't necessarily meant as a slur back then by many of it's users. A lot of terms and phrases have changed meaning over the years and habits are hard to break.......even for me.

A lot of things have changed since the 70's - 80's.......my heydays.

the word didn't change.... theres no such thing as a gay lifestyle, so when you said "there is a huge difference between being homophobic and disliking the gay lifestyle" you were wrong there is no difference

Its like if you said "i dont hate black people, i just hate the black lifestyle" its just bigoted nonsense

the word didn't change.... theres no such thing as a gay lifestyle, so when you said "there is a huge difference between being homophobic and disliking the gay lifestyle" you were wrong there is no difference

Its like if you said "i dont hate black people, i just hate the black lifestyle" its just bigoted nonsense

I have heard gay work mates using the very term many many times back then...... get over your self righteousness kick.

The term has changed.............do your own leg work.

I have heard gay work mates using the very term many many times back then...... get over your self righteousness kick.

The term has changed.............do your own leg work.

and im sure you could find chris rock or somebody using the term"black lifestyle" too doesn't mean you can use it seriously to make some kind of point about people "needing to know the difference" between racists and people who just hate the "black lifestyle"

and dont give me this im old and dont know any better excuse....there are gay people and more importantly gay rights activists a lot older than you

he doesn't give a damn about gay rights its like those people who used to say black people should not fight for de-segregation because it will just "upset people" even more and black people will be worse off....or people who criticize feminists by saying their "not doing things right" or say "modern feminists" are the problem or "1st world feminists". he disguises his bigotry under the false pretense of constructive criticism..... I bet if I search long enough I could find him saying BLM needs to be more like martin luther king :2razz:

Actually, if you ever attempted to prove up even one of your allegations against me, it would be a nice surprise. Well, it would be a surprise.

The republican led state of florida excludes lgbt from its hate crime protections. Hmmm, why is this if not certain groups are more deserving of crime?

Bigotry is all the same to me, you know this. Are you saying there's a reason the republicans have not mentioned who the victims were after this barbaric hate crime other than they hate lgbt? Is this much different from the silence due to contempt for the victims in 1972?

I accused some of them of taking advantage of an attack on a group they despise (lgbt) in order to attack another they despise (muslims). You reacted to this when mickeyw was doing it. You know what i mean.

IF these politicians wish to truly convince me they condemn the attack and mourn the victims, they can start by undoing the anti gay laws they have passed in state after state that only encourage discrimination and hate crimes, or hell, at least mentioning who the victims were! Kind of like how in south carolina they took down the flag after the attack on the black church. You know, take some responsibility for sustaining a culture of 2nd class citizens

And yet you're not disgusted by your bigotry of Southerners.
Contradictory if you ask me.

and im sure you could find chris rock or somebody using the term"black lifestyle" too doesn't mean you can use it seriously to make some kind of point about people "needing to know the difference" between racists and people who just hate the "black lifestyle"

and dont give me this im old and dont know any better excuse....there are gay people and more importantly gay rights activists a lot older than you

You don't know what you are talking about....do you!

Gay lifestyle was not a slur at one time. It became a slur as political correctness took over. In fact, there are places that still use the term without repercussions from touch feely people like yourself.

Prince William Is Gay Lifestyle Magazine’s New Cover Star

Winq

Home | Healthy Gay Lifestyles | Gay Magazine | GLBT | Gay Men | Gay Men's Health | Gay Relationships | Gay Fitness | Nutrition | Gay Mental Health | Gay Sexual Health | Gay Men's Sexual Health | Spiritual Health | HIV AIDS | Gay History | Gay Article

Do I need to paste a few more? Get over yourself....please.

because they were targeted for being gay..... did you know that or are you just confused? thats why he shot them..... if white chritsians were shot for being white and christian youd be screaming and whining about how oppressed you all are

And we wouldn't hear a bit of condemnation from you or the OP.

Back
Top Bottom