• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ferguson: Abramoff Cartoon Outdoes Washington Satire

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Andrew Ferguson is a columnist for Bloomberg; his topics are typically business-related. Today, though, he has a really good column on Abramoff. Here is the gist of it:

Abramoff Cartoon Outdoes Washington Satire: Andrew Ferguson

Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) -- I think it was the novelist Philip Roth who first noticed that real life in the U.S. is now beyond parody. It is, to coin a clumsy but necessary word, unsatirizable.

Yet nothing in the Abramoff affair is merely crass. The client has to go and do something beyond the imagination of even the most daring satirist -- such as claim victim status through the language of identity politics.

``Abramoff and his partner,'' one member of the tribal council told the Washington Post, ``are the contemporary faces of the exploitation of native peoples.''

Every successful satire is built on the exaggeration of essential truths. And so it is with the Abramoff affair. Indeed you can tell how revealing this scandal is of the way Washington works by the intensity with which Abramoff's fellow lobbyists insist that the scandal reveals nothing of the way Washington works.

``The Abramoff style is so far afield from the normal course of business as to be irrelevant to me and probably most people in my line of work,'' one Democratic lobbyist, Joel Johnson, told the Post.

A Republican lobbyist, Ed Rogers, was equally indignant. ``The whole Abramoff affair,'' he said, ``is not a lesson of how business is done in Washington.''

Finally, in the face of comments like these, the satirist must declare defeat. You can't make this stuff up. It is unsatirizable.

Source.

Ferguson is right: you can't make this stuff up. If it weren't such a sad commentary, it would be funny. But it is, so it ain't. Funny, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MOD MODE]
Please don't post entire articles
[/MOD MODE]

Simon,

Oops, sorry, apparently inadvertantly pasted the wrong version - had copied the article to Word, cut it down and then - I thought - pasted the 'gist' of the article. Guess not. :(

Back
Top Bottom