• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fentanyl’s New Foe: A Quick Test Strip That Can Prevent Overdoses

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fentan...-strip-that-can-prevent-overdoses-11546252200

Heroin and cocaine users rely on the strip to see if their drugs have been contaminated with the synthetic opioid, but the practice has encountered opposition

There is a new tool to help battle the opioid epidemic that works like a pregnancy test to detect fentanyl, the potent substance behind the escalating number of deaths roiling communities around the country.

The test strip, originally designed for the medical profession to test urine, can also be used off-label by heroin and cocaine users who fear their drugs have been adulterated with the synthetic opioid fentanyl. The strips are dipped in water containing a minute amount of a drug and generally provide a result within a... [paywall]
===============================
On the bright side, this test strip could prevent a lot of overdose deaths.

I still can't figure out why drug producers/dealers would adulterate their products with lethal amounts of fentanyl.

I still can't figure out why drug producers/dealers would adulterate their products with lethal amounts of fentanyl.

I think it has a lot to do with tolerances. Some people can tolerate higher amounts. Simplistically (seriously simplistic), think about beer. If I give a coors light to someone who drinks a twelve pack of imperial IPAs everyday, their tolerance is a lot higher and they won't feel anything. If I give a coors light to someone who has never had alcohol, they will feel buzzed. I think what happens is they expect it to be used by someone who has a higher tolerance (ie. someone who uses everyday). Of course the bad side to this is it takes more and more of it to get the same high.

Just guessing, but that's the way I think it is happening and I could very well be wrong.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fentan...-strip-that-can-prevent-overdoses-11546252200

Heroin and cocaine users rely on the strip to see if their drugs have been contaminated with the synthetic opioid, but the practice has encountered opposition

There is a new tool to help battle the opioid epidemic that works like a pregnancy test to detect fentanyl, the potent substance behind the escalating number of deaths roiling communities around the country.

The test strip, originally designed for the medical profession to test urine, can also be used off-label by heroin and cocaine users who fear their drugs have been adulterated with the synthetic opioid fentanyl. The strips are dipped in water containing a minute amount of a drug and generally provide a result within a... [paywall]

I don’t think they want to, but I saw a documentary the other day and it showed the daily life of a drug dealer (I think heroine). And he said if he doesn’t add fentanyl his customers will go somewhere else. They have gotten to where they prefer it with fentanyl. So he gives it to them but it is WAY too easy to misdose.

I’m all for making testing strips like that readily available. It might save lives and result in fewer uses of our emergency services.

I think it has a lot to do with tolerances. Some people can tolerate higher amounts. Simplistically (seriously simplistic), think about beer. If I give a coors light to someone who drinks a twelve pack of imperial IPAs everyday, their tolerance is a lot higher and they won't feel anything. If I give a coors light to someone who has never had alcohol, they will feel buzzed. I think what happens is they expect it to be used by someone who has a higher tolerance (ie. someone who uses everyday). Of course the bad side to this is it takes more and more of it to get the same high.

Just guessing, but that's the way I think it is happening and I could very well be wrong.

My only experience with fentanyl was when I asked to be knocked out during 2 cataract surgeries some years ago. I was quickly out like a light. More recently I had an endoscopy where the nurse was pumping a mixture of fentanyl & Versed (midazolam) into my IV line. I was conscious throughout the entire procedure which was interesting. As I had the 'scope down my throat I was unable to speak. I know I have developed a tolerance to benzodiazepines so the lack of effect from the Versed is understandable. But the lack of effect from the fentanyl indicated that I had developed a tolerance to it after only 2 exposures. So drug addicts seeking it out is partly understandable but daily use of it would pretty quickly develop a tolerance. Using the old saying that if some is good, more will be better, using fentanyl at toxic levels will do nasty things like stopping you from breathing.

It's not the dealers really looking for a wide array of customers. They don't want their customers to die...they just don't care what they go through. Dead customers are police attention with less money.

I would hope that if there is this strip, we are not short-sighted enough to try to monitor who purchases it.

Back
Top Bottom