• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Female Sportscasters On TV News Channels

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Pardon me for being a complete douche here, but I truly find it annoying to watch most female sportscasters on local news programs.

It comes across as nothing more than the station trying to appear to not be sexist in any way.

I don't like watching a woman report on and even try to analyse football, baseball, the coming ice-hockey season, and all the local sports when it's painfully obvious she's never played any of those sports.

I find most female sports reporters lack any shred of credibility beyond just being a "pretty face" planted in a non-traditional role for the sake of being "modern".

Example: Erin Andrews. Gorgeous? Yes. Credible??????

Does anyone else get that feeling?

(and yes - I expect some barbs for being a bit male-chauvinist-pig here)

Doesn't annoy me anymore than an overweight guy expert or a moronic ex player. Just because you play a sport doesn't mean you will be good at reporting it.

I can at least buy that the "fat dude", or the ex-jock is at least a true sports fanatic who knows a great deal about what he's talking about.

The pretty little tart, with perky breasts and nice legs just always comes off as little more than that.

The guys always seem more credible for being an enthusiast sports fan.
The girls come off as a planted piece of eye candy who wouldn't know a baseball bat from a football if their life depended on it.

Britain has at least one football team manager, and several female sports reporters/presenters, who are not bad looking as well as skilled in sports and presenting. We even have a famous lesbian daughter of a racehorse trainer who branched out from horseracing into multiple sports at the Olympics, and onto general TV work s well.

Clare Balding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no reason why women can't do the job as well as men.

There's no reason why women can't do the job as well as men.

while this is true...all too often the women they choose can't. but this goes for men as well. it irks me to see someone, male or female, trying to report on sports when it is painfully obvious they have no clue about the sport.

I find all sports analyses dry and boring, so I guess I agree with you.

Mary Jo Fernandez and Lindsay Davenport (Olympic Gold Medalist and US Open Champion respectively) are great tennis commentators

Its fun watching some of the ESPN pairs of commentators. They have some guy in a suit and they post his resume that looks like this

3 time all pro with the Jets, 2 Time All American at Notre Dame

for the girl-she looks great in a short skirt and heels-

Pardon me for being a complete douche here, but I truly find it annoying to watch most female sportscasters on local news programs.

It comes across as nothing more than the station trying to appear to not be sexist in any way.

I don't like watching a woman report on and even try to analyse football, baseball, the coming ice-hockey season, and all the local sports when it's painfully obvious she's never played any of those sports.

I find most female sports reporters lack any shred of credibility beyond just being a "pretty face" planted in a non-traditional role for the sake of being "modern".

Why do you think newscasters have to have a penis to read a teleprompter?

I never said such a thing.

I'm specifically talking sportscasters.

I think a sportscaster should have a background in sports to be credible when reporting on it.
Most of the females I've seen filling that role lack that credibility from my perspective.

Considering there's so many male personalities in sports media who are so completely full of **** - and get paid well for being completely full of **** - the fact that we have females in the sports journalism is WAAAAY down on the bottom of my "things that bother me" list.

And as far as the women I'm familiar with both on a local and national level most of them know what they're doing/saying.

They don't...but we all know the reason why they hire women. It's the same reason why WWE has a "divas" division - appear equal and cater to the more base desires of men.

You ignore the fact that it's third rate competition and focus on the fact that it's gorgeous, scantily-clad women having a chickfight. If The Rock wins a match, he does it by doing a "Rock Bottom" with a "People's Elbow". Same with other wrestlers - Pedigree, RKO, Stone Cold Stunner, whatever. In diva fights, the match ends when one of them kicks the other one in the head and pins them for the 3 count.

On ESPN, they just hire a few pretty faces with a journalism degree to avoid discrimination lawsuits and give the men something to stare at. When Erin Andrews got old, they got Samantha Ponder. When she gets some wrinkles, they'll find the next 22 year old blonde who can read.

Actually, I'm more referring to local news channels and their sportscasters.

I live outside of Philadelphia.

Our "local" news on TV comes from Philly.

How could anyone doubt or deny this raw talent?

You tell it, darlin'! I agree 1000%. :rock

It doesn't sound like he thinks that at all.

It sounds like his complaint is their qualifications seem to be just having perky tits.

How could anyone doubt or deny this raw talent?

Hey, she let Glen Rice go balls-deep on her, so she knows greatness when she sees it.

Where did Glen Rice play college ball again when he had a national championship with arguably the best overall tournament performance ever? Refresh my memory.

Hey, she let Glen Rice go balls-deep on her, so she knows greatness when she sees it.

Where did Glen Rice play college ball again when he had a national championship with arguably the best overall tournament performance ever? Refresh my memory.

no one cares.

football > basketball

but even there you probably whine about how the ACC is not the powerhouse everyone says they are blah blah blah...

They don't...but we all know the reason why they hire women. It's the same reason why WWE has a "divas" division - appear equal and cater to the more base desires of men.

You ignore the fact that it's third rate competition and focus on the fact that it's gorgeous, scantily-clad women having a chickfight. If The Rock wins a match, he does it by doing a "Rock Bottom" with a "People's Elbow". Same with other wrestlers - Pedigree, RKO, Stone Cold Stunner, whatever. In diva fights, the match ends when one of them kicks the other one in the head and pins them for the 3 count.

On ESPN, they just hire a few pretty faces with a journalism degree to avoid discrimination lawsuits and give the men something to stare at. When Erin Andrews got old, they got Samantha Ponder. When she gets some wrinkles, they'll find the next 22 year old blonde who can read.

Erin Andrews is still pretty hot.

Back
Top Bottom