• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

FEMA Official Admits To Bad Response

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I can't believe that a gov't agency could be this careless! I mean, what in sam hell were they thinking? Most likely, they weren't thinking at all. How the hell is a dinner reservation more important than the lives of fellow Americans. Michael Brown will NEVER have a political career again. He's finished, and I'm glad that he is.

And I don't want anyone posting something like "Well, he's a republican. So wuddya expect?" cuz party affiliation has nothing to do with this. It has more to do with a man who failed to do the job that was given to him.

Don't expect too much debate here, cause I'd be real surprised if a Bush supporter could reason his/her way into making a case to support Brownie!

python416 said:
Don't expect too much debate here, cause I'd be real surprised if a Bush supporter could reason his/her way into making a case to support Brownie!

Yeah, it would be difficult to do so.

In my opinion....Brown was placed in a no win scenario, simply because he was not competent. Much of the failure of FEMA is hyped up beyond the reality, but, such finger pointing as there needs to be....should go where it belongs.

At the Man who put an unqualified individual in a position that had a direct influence on the Safety/Lives of American Citizens.

tecoyah said:
In my opinion....Brown was placed in a no win scenario, simply because he was not competent. Much of the failure of FEMA is hyped up beyond the reality, but, such finger pointing as there needs to be....should go where it belongs.

At the Man who put an unqualified individual in a position that had a direct influence on the Safety/Lives of American Citizens.

But were dinner reservations really more important than suffering ppl?

tecoyah said:

Well there are two people above him that have managed to deflect the responibility:

1) Chertoff (spelling?)
2) Bush

The DHS head was under fire in a Brownie like hearing yesterday, and it got pretty hot. But I think it will take a few more months before Katrina's crack in American public perception of the government starts to really roll.

If Bush can put the peices back together after all of the things that have gone wrong in the last 2 months, he deserves to be president just on his policital skills alone (of the skills of his staff).

But I think it will take something crazy like another terror attack to even have a chance at peicing this thing back together.

Brown wasn't even aware that the Superdome was used as a shelter! On Browns watch FEMA had sponsored a drill in N.O. involving a cat 5 hurricane and issued a report with this bit of info in it, but Brown even ignored that.

Bush simply chilled at the ranch and ignored the whole thing until it became too much of a PR disaster to ignore. Just another example of how this admin. doesn't take anything seriously.

Donkey1499 said:
I can't believe that a gov't agency could be this careless! I mean, what in sam hell were they thinking? Most likely, they weren't thinking at all. How the hell is a dinner reservation more important than the lives of fellow Americans. Michael Brown will NEVER have a political career again. He's finished, and I'm glad that he is.

And I don't want anyone posting something like "Well, he's a republican. So wuddya expect?" cuz party affiliation has nothing to do with this. It has more to do with a man who failed to do the job that was given to him.

The problem is the Bush Administration does not believe in government. If you don't believe in government, you cannot govern. If you don't support the fact that there is a role for government in a society other than just making war, then you cant get or maintain good people in government.

The Bush Administration is great at politics, but they are terrible at actually governing.

Its a sad thing that the people of New Orleans had to suffer because the US government is pathetic. And to tell you the truth, I don't think Gore would have been able to have done much better because the simple fact that Brown was incompetent to begin with. If there were white people at stake, I think the Bush administration would have been all over the situation bussing them out.

Well, Polish, Bush is the one who appointed Brown cause Brown payed him money for his campaign so I would hope that gore would have been smart enough to have appointed someone who actually knew what he was doing.

The appointment of Brown was a stupid one, to be sure. But, as I've read accounts, he was basically nonchalant because no 'cry for help' was made by the mayor of New Orleans or the governor of Louisiana. I may be wrong, but I don't recall FEMA ever going anywhere BEFORE disaster struck to take charge. Governors usually make the call to evacuate, etc.
Nagin allowed hundreds of schoolbuses to go underwater instead of utilizing them, knowing full well the level of lower-income neighborhoods that would be affected and those residents being basically stuck with no way out. Then after the skies cleared, he started saying everyone else was at fault...Neither he nor the governor ever made attempts with ample warning of the storm's severity being made before landfall, to ask for directives.
Brown's an idiot, not disputing...his handling as and after the storm struck was akin to a stupid kid stuck in the mud...but he's not the only one to blame here. Just reminds me of some cartoon where a valuable vase falls and all the kids in the room point fingers and say 'it's HIS fault!' instead of any of them taking charge and taking responsibility.

ngdawg said:
The appointment of Brown was a stupid one, to be sure. But, as I've read accounts, he was basically nonchalant because no 'cry for help' was made by the mayor of New Orleans or the governor of Louisiana. I may be wrong, but I don't recall FEMA ever going anywhere BEFORE disaster struck to take charge. Governors usually make the call to evacuate, etc.
Nagin allowed hundreds of schoolbuses to go underwater instead of utilizing them, knowing full well the level of lower-income neighborhoods that would be affected and those residents being basically stuck with no way out. Then after the skies cleared, he started saying everyone else was at fault...Neither he nor the governor ever made attempts with ample warning of the storm's severity being made before landfall, to ask for directives.
Brown's an idiot, not disputing...his handling as and after the storm struck was akin to a stupid kid stuck in the mud...but he's not the only one to blame here. Just reminds me of some cartoon where a valuable vase falls and all the kids in the room point fingers and say 'it's HIS fault!' instead of any of them taking charge and taking responsibility.

Thanks finn, I wasn't quite sure if it was an appointed position or not.

I also agree completely here. Nagin did a terrible job in trying to bail people out of his city, which is due to his incompetence as mayor, and knowing that the levees would have been threatened but such a strong hurricane.

But its all said and done, and now all we have to do is get rid of Nagin so this won't ever happen again.

Polish Rob said:
Thanks finn, I wasn't quite sure if it was an appointed position or not.

I also agree completely here. Nagin did a terrible job in trying to bail people out of his city, which is due to his incompetence as mayor, and knowing that the levees would have been threatened but such a strong hurricane.

But its all said and done, and now all we have to do is get rid of Nagin so this won't ever happen again.

We also have to get rid of the incompetent retards that Bush appointed.

scottyz said:
Brown wasn't even aware that the Superdome was used as a shelter! On Browns watch FEMA had sponsored a drill in N.O. involving a cat 5 hurricane and issued a report with this bit of info in it, but Brown even ignored that.

Bush simply chilled at the ranch and ignored the whole thing until it became too much of a PR disaster to ignore. Just another example of how this admin. doesn't take anything seriously.
Unfortunate, but true. They didn't act until they couldn't not act anymore. I remember the news report gauging the storm to be one of the worst in the area ever. Why couldn't they understand?

The entire gov't (well, most of it) is at fault for most of the stuff that went wrong in NO. From local to federal, most are to blame. From Nagin to Brown and Blanco to Bush. They all need to be held accountable.

Donkey1499 said:
The entire gov't (well, most of it) is at fault for most of the stuff that went wrong in NO. From local to federal, most are to blame. From Nagin to Brown and Blanco to Bush. They all need to be held accountable.
Again, I agree. Nobody did anything perfectly, including the local, state, and federal government. It's too bad there was so much finger pointing from every level instead of people actually admitting mistakes.

ShullsM said:
Again, I agree. Nobody did anything perfectly, including the local, state, and federal government. It's too bad there was so much finger pointing from every level instead of people actually admitting mistakes.

Exactly, if the gov't would just admit that they're wrong, then maybe more ppl would vote.

Back
Top Bottom