• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fellow republicans: explain why the shutdown and default is good fiscal policy.

We may disagree, but I'll at least give you a big thumbs up for actually owning it. God knows almost everyone I've seen on the other side that hears this starts stammering and pulling out the always so fun to hear "IT'S DIFFFFERENT!" whine.

It isn't different. Harming the country to get your pet issue passed is the wrong way to do it. It does not matter who is doing it. Too damn many people base their concept of government right or wrong on who is doing something, not on what is being done. I have a theory about it being in part because we think of politics as a sport, but I will save that for another place...

Oddly, and this is another of those interesting areas where we just have a different, if consistent, worldview, I thought those efforts where a bunch of **** too. You don't hurt the country in order to get legislation passed. If you don't have the votes, and cannot get the votes, then so be it.

You are exactly right, but in a way you will not like. The House is a third of the branches of government and I might add they were voted in to do a specific job. That job is to represent the Republican party who controls the House. Now who is hurting the country in order to keep legislation passed, like legislation is cast in stone, which it is not. Further this legislation is a complete failure, making for it to be stopped. Now if you don't have the votes to control the House and cannot get the votes, then so be it.

As a republican and a staunch conservative... I really would like those that support the shutdown and the debt limit fight to explain how doing such is in line with fiscal responsibility

If the alternative is to give Obama everything he wants, does that make it clearer to you?

If you're not worried about the negatives that have already happened when they're pointed out, it can be your position to charge one is a ......
Instead of living in the Present Moment, I see your discussion over what has happened in the past..
What do think 18 Repubs will be "conversing about in the Spite House tomorrow?
Thank you for your random "Propoganda for Hyper Partisan Liberals" Madlibs response, it was amazingly useful for anyone who refuses to actually review and discuss things as adults or isn't a raging political hack simply out to score points for their party.

As per the thread, CANTOR has admitted publicly that he already got everything he wants in this budget..Sound familiar..And people on here call that FACT a partisan rant.

IN a scathing review of the REAL culprit in this mess, IHO, carl Bernstein tore Eric Cantor up one end and down the other.
Any mention of specific quotes would draw phony outrage from those who throw pure hackery insults at the inconvenient truth.

It isn't different. Harming the country to get your pet issue passed is the wrong way to do it. It does not matter who is doing it...

Present Moment Awareness dictates folks focus on "WHO" is doing it and "WHEN".
When the KOCH brothers start slinging letters at Senate Repubs..
Think they want a filibuster on the debt??
'Got one already' in the House

With the CDC closed as part of the republican shutdown of of all the US government... people are getting sick from salmonella poisoning and there is no federal government there to track the strain of this new antibiotic resistant salmonella bacteria. The outbreak is said to continue as " ongoing and spreading".
If any republican asks you "How does the shutdown affect you?" Point them to this site;
There's a Major Foodborne Illness Outbreak and the Government's Shut Down - Wired Science
Without the authority of the CDC to order a recall of the poisoned chicken the distributor is not recalling their tainted product and has issued a press release that we just need to "cook it longer".
Good luck!:2wave:

Last edited:
You are exactly right, but in a way you will not like. The House is a third of the branches of government and I might add they were voted in to do a specific job. That job is to represent the Republican party who controls the House. Now who is hurting the country in order to keep legislation passed, like legislation is cast in stone, which it is not. Further this legislation is a complete failure, making for it to be stopped. Now if you don't have the votes to control the House and cannot get the votes, then so be it.

Wrong. The job of the house is not to represent republicans, but to represent their constituents.

Present Moment Awareness dictates folks focus on "WHO" is doing it and "WHEN".
When the KOCH brothers start slinging letters at Senate Repubs..
Think they want a filibuster on the debt??
'Got one already' in the House

The Koch brothers are entirely irrelevant to everything. Nice try however.

Well, not really, it in fact sucked.

Then you haven't read the KOCH brothers letter to Congress today.
Repubs are paying attention.
Everyone saw interest rates on T-bills double last night, already costing extra govt. spending.
Those are facts and a clear "discussion" of the mess.
The Koch brothers are entirely irrelevant to everything. Nice try however.

Well, not really, it in fact sucked.

Then you haven't read the KOCH brothers letter to Congress today.
Repubs are paying attention.
Everyone saw interest rates on T-bills double last night, already costing extra govt. spending.
Those are facts and a clear "discussion" of the mess.

No member of congress is in any way obligated to listen to the Koch brothers. The Koch brothers have every right to write to congressmen. Let's stick to real issues.

The real issue is the KOCH brothers helped elect these guys in 2010 and some Dems keep missing this point.
Now the KOCH brothers are showing remorse, which will force a debt agreement.
That is the REAL issue.
Dems have not been playing with a straight partner from the time of the 2008 election.
One way to wrap is 'we won't get fooled again" as in 2011.
No member of congress is in any way obligated to listen to the Koch brothers. The Koch brothers have every right to write to congressmen. Let's stick to real issues.

Let's stick to real issues.

Real issues--Treasury bills double in interest rates, costing extra govt. spending, the GOP opposes.
How is this good govt.?
Cantor has admitted he already has what he wants in the budget bill!!

Our leadership WALKED AWAY from that deal, because of a few nutjobs and insisted that not only we basically get everything we wanted on the budget but that we ALSO have to go after Obamacare by defunding it.

Now I ask you.. is it fiscally sound.. to throw our economy into a tizzy... and walk away from a chance to further lower the deficit... because of a bill that quite frankly ... YOU and a lot of my fellow republicans haven't read either. (my apologies if you have actually read the bill). I mean.. isn't it interesting that we republicans criticize the democrats for not reading the bill and not knowing whats in it.. while we demogague the bill and yet admit that we haven't read it either?

You don't reduce deficit long term by taking a hair cut on discretionary budget. The US's problem is in mandatory spending. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, Obamacare , and interest payments.

I back the republicans in the last debt ceiling debate because I believed they were trying to get the debt and spending under control. I don't have the foggiest idea what they are trying to accomplish this time around. Defund the ACA? I heard rumors that Boehner has dropped that. Lower spending, I heard other rumors that the Democrats dropped their bid to get an increase of 1.2 trillion and agreed to the Republican demand of 980 billion. So what am I missing here?

It needs to be about mandatory spending.. Obama punted on it the last go around. Fed lies about working on it.. and here we are.. mandatory spending is SOARING in costs.

If your cause is righteous, what's wrong with an honest answer?

Can I presume that you prefer the shutdown to allowing the House to vote on a "clean CR?"

Do you prefer a default?

Why do you support Democrats shutting down the government?

Why do you support default if Republicans will not agree to perpetually increasing the federal debt? Why do you so love increasing the national debt?

What exactly is "Clean CR" ?

That would be a CR with the negotiated spending @~975, and with no language delaying or defunding any aspect of Obamacare. Boehner says it wouldn't pass the House, but many disagree. I think they should be allowed to vote on it.

If your cause is righteous, what's wrong with an honest answer?

Can I presume that you prefer the shutdown to allowing the House to vote on a "clean CR?"

Do you prefer a default?

It would certainly be a wakening call and it looks as if out politicians might need one. It is really very sad, but we cannot go on as we have been going.

Why do you support Democrats shutting down the government?

Why do you support default if Republicans will not agree to perpetually increasing the federal debt? Why do you so love increasing the national debt?

What makes you think I do?

You're being very defensive. My questions aren't phrased in partisan language. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the GOP position.

Both houses of Congress failed to stop the shutdown. The path of least resistance to end the shutdown is to pass a clean CR in the House. Why is the shutdown preferable to that? The clean CR already represents a >20% cut from what was originally requested by Obama. Signs are it will pass both chambers, if the House will allow a vote on it.

It would certainly be a wakening call and it looks as if out politicians might need one. It is really very sad, but we cannot go on as we have been going.

There are many ways of addressing our nation's many serious problems that don't involve undermining our economy further.

Legislative add-ons and policy-riders = the House filibuster

Cantor is the slithering snake in high grass.
Poor Boehner is like a South Dakota prairie dog who pops his head out of the ground.

Wrong. The job of the house is not to represent republicans, but to represent their constituents.

Sort of like when dems were in control and passed ACA although the public was against it.

Is that also the role of the President and the Senate who are equally responsible.

Back
Top Bottom