• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Feingold/Censure thread(after merges)

Re: Bush spied, dems shied?

alphamale said:
Note how the dems are keeping away from Feingold's censure resolution? Why? They don't oppose the "spying" anymore? ;)
Not only that, but Feingold himself left the floor quickly before debate could start up.

[Moderator Mode]

Merged the three threads...

Feingold Abandoned by Dems!
C-mon dems rally around Feingold and, tell us
Bush spied, dems shied?

Couldn't decide on which title to keep(all partisan crap), so I gave it a generic one...

[/Moderator Mode]

alphamale said:
Note how the dems are keeping away from Feingold's censure resolution? Why? They don't oppose the "spying" anymore? ;)

Who's against "spying"? Just do it the right way. :cool:

BWG said:
Who's against "spying"? Just do it the right way. :cool:

He did.......Fiengolds statements are fallcious. If the truley believes Bush broke the law his recourse is to call for impeachment and removal not censure which the congress is impowered to do to it's own within it's own rules, not the executive branch.

Re: C-mon dems rally around Feingold and, tell us

KidRocks said:
Seems you dittoheads would love to see the democrats try to censure Bush but it ain't gonna happen, well just let Bush dangle in the wind for now......Make no mistake, if we democrats could sucessfully censure Bush with an up or down vote I'd be all for it but that ain't gonna happen so why even consider such a motion?

THIS post is hillarious!

Bush dangling in the wind? While the Dems continue to spit in the wind, you think Bush is losing any sleep since the program he is running has been deemed LEGAL? Sounds like the Dems trying to turn 'lemons into lemon-aide'!

If the Democrats COULD successfully Censure Bush... - THAT is the point! They CAN'T! The Last thing the Dems wanted was for one of their OWN to force them to put up or shut up! They like to try people in the media, and they were making the 'Impeachment/Censure talk in the media/public eye....then Feingold forced their hand. When it came time to put up or shut up, they folded and left Feingold 'hanging in the wind'!

Bottom Line, Feingold introduced legislation for Censuring a President for executing a LEGAL program! That's like me fining you $100 for posting on this site, even though it is LEGAL! :shock: How stupid can you be?! Throw that out there, and all of a sudden the American people are looking at you like an IDIOT for even suggesting it! THAT is why the Dems turned their backs on Feingold. The only thing serious said above was that this Censure idea 'Ain't Gonna Happen!'

hipsterdufus said:
Censuring Bush is the more appropriate action for what Bush has done.

Nope, if the Democrats and Fiengold believe he broke the law then the ONLY recourse is to impeach him. It not for the congress "to have some recourse". The constitution gives them a recourse and makes sure that unless it is a high crime or misdameanor, they have no constitutional authority to do anything. What does censure do? It's not even constitutional since it amounts to a bill of attainder. That's why it died when the Dems tried to use it to get out of thier cowandry with Clinton, they wanted to admit he did but didn't want to remove him.

Even if you could get enough Senators to vote for it do you really want to start the precident that congress censures presidents? What's the punishment that goes with it? How do you get past that constitutional hurdle?

It might be fun to impeach him right after the 08 elections just for the hell of it though

Fun? You think an impeachment for carrying out his duties to protect the US from foreign enemies would be fun? And what signal do you think it sends to our enemies, how do you think this makes us look to those we are trying to defeat? Does it make us look like we are serious about going after them, that we are a united front and committed to stopping them? Or does it give them hope that if they hold out long enough them might win as we back down?

disneydude said:
Maybe its because Bush and the right-wing republicans (notice I did NOT say all Republicans) are doing a good enough job themselves self destructing. You right wingers are fools - do you think that Democrats are really sitting around doing nothing? I hate to spoil the party.....but we are just watching you wallow in your culture of corruption and enjoying that the American public are beginning to see you in your true colors.

And are those the same colors as William Jefferson and Conyers? Do I think the Democrats are sitting around and doing nothing, well please tell me what are they doing and is constructive to our winning the war on terrorism?

"Winning" the war on terrorism is as much a fallacy as "Winning" the war of drugs. Remember that great Republican battle....."Just say no"......hmmm maybe that would work with terrorism as well......thats it!!!!!
"Just say no to terrorism". I like it!

disneydude said:
"Winning" the war on terrorism is as much a fallacy as "Winning" the war of drugs. Remember that great Republican battle....."Just say no"......hmmm maybe that would work with terrorism as well......thats it!!!!!
"Just say no to terrorism". I like it!

'Just say No' is about education. The Liberal approach to massive increases in teen pregnancy and STDs was to hand out condoms. Based on that, I am surprised the Libs have not demanded we hand out clean needles, elastics, bongs, etc in school in order to fight drugs in schools! :roll: :lol:

BWG said:
Who's against "spying"? Just do it the right way

Stinger said:
He did.......Fiengolds statements are fallcious. If the truley believes Bush broke the law his recourse is to call for impeachment and removal not censure which the congress is impowered to do to it's own within it's own rules, not the executive branch.

After a 'deal' was made. That's all that I and many others were asking for. OVERSIGHT

Moving to tamp down Democratic calls for an investigation of the administration's domestic eavesdropping program, Republicans on the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday that they had reached agreement with the White House on proposed bills to impose new oversight but allow wiretapping without warrants for up to 45 days.

"We are reasserting Congressional responsibility and oversight," Ms. Snowe said.

The proposed legislation would create a seven-member "terrorist surveillance subcommittee" and require the administration to give it full access to the details of the program's operations.

Source

easyt65 said:
'Just say No' is about education. The Liberal approach to massive increases in teen pregnancy and STDs was to hand out condoms. Based on that, I am surprised the Libs have not demanded we hand out clean needles, elastics, bongs, etc in school in order to fight drugs in schools!

..and just how is your 'War on Drugs' plan working out?

Condoms do help, they should be easier to get.

disclaimer--I am not advocating this little tirade of "demanded we hand out clean needles, elastics, bongs, etc in school in order to fight drugs in schools!" :roll:

The first poll is out as to whether Americans favor censuring Dubaia.
46% in favor 44% opposed - pretty interesting. I wonder what the numbers would be like if there was actually a hearing on the issue?

Do you favor or oppose the United States Senate passing a resolution censuring President George W. Bush for authorizing wiretaps of Americans within the United States without obtaining court orders?

3/15/06 Favor Oppose Undecided

All Adults 46% 44% 10%
Voters 48% 43% 9%
http://americanresearchgroup.com/

Hey hips your loving all these polls huh........I guess the republicans have no chance in November huh........

Don't count your chickens my friend.........

A third Senator has signed onto the censure measure - Tom Harkin.

Is censure going to happen? I dont think so. The Democrats are cowards. However, this is going to give them plenty of meat for the elections this fall. Republicans would do well to pay attention to this issue.

Here is Harkin's statement:
Tom Harkin: Why I Fully Support Bush Censure
We have a President who likes to break things. He has broken the federal budget, running up $3 trillion in new debt. He has broken the Geneva Conventions, giving the green light to torture. He has repeatedly broken promises – and broken faith – with the American people. And now, worst of all, he has broken the law.
In brazen violation of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), he ordered the National Security Agency to conduct warrantless wiretaps of American citizens. And, despite getting caught red-handed, he refuses to stop.
Let's be clear: No American – and that must include the President – is above the law. And if we fail to hold Bush to account, then he will be confirmed in his conviction that he can pick and choose among the laws he wants to obey. This is profoundly dangerous to our democracy.
So it is time for Congress to stand up and say enough! That's why, this week, Senator Russ Feingold proposed a resolution to censure George W. Bush for breaking the FISA law. And that's why I fully support this resolution of censure.
Nothing is more important to me than the security of our country. Of course, we need to be listening to the terrorists' conversations. And sometimes there is not time to get a warrant. That's why the FISA law allows the President, when necessary, to wiretap first, and obtain a warrant afterward. But that's not acceptable to this above-the-law President. He rejects the idea that he should have to obtain a warrant before or after wiretapping.
We have an out-of-control President whose arrogant and, now, illegal behavior is running our country into the ditch. It's time to rein him in. And a fine place to start is by passing this resolution of censure. I hope that Senator Feingold's measure will be brought to the floor. And when it is, I will proudly vote yes.
Statement is here.

danarhea said:
A third Senator has signed onto the censure measure - Tom Harkin.

Is censure going to happen? I dont think so. The Democrats are cowards. However, this is going to give them plenty of meat for the elections this fall. Republicans would do well to pay attention to this issue.

It is not a matter of being 'cowards', dan - it is about fact, evidence, and intelligence.

Feingold asked the Senate to Censure a President for using a (currently) completely LEGAL program to combat the terrorists who attacked us on9/11! That is INSANE! Iknow the Democrats believe in trying people in the Court of Public Opinion, but this is way over the top! That is why the Dem Leadership turned their backs on Feingold....

They also join me in agreeing with you about plenty of meat for the elections! The democrats know that if they tried to Impeach Bush for a LEGAL Program he has every right to use now the American People will see this as a sour-grapes Bush-Revenge political attack, especially after Feingold brought up Clinton inhis Censure legislation introduction! Feingold said what Bush is doing (his use of a LEGAL program) is worse than what Clinton did (his multiple FELONY CONVICTIONS of perjury and witness tampering, thereby betraying his oath of office to defend the Constitution of the U.S. and its people)!? :shock:

The Dems move on Bush after THAT, especially for using a LEGAL program, and the Dems can officially lay claim to the title of 3rd Party as the Liberterians/Green party shoots past them!

disneydude said:
KCC: your originality and wit never cease to amaze me.

:rofl

Happy weekend everyone.

Erin Go Braugh

Happy St. Patty's!

disneydude said:
KCC: your originality and wit never cease to amaze me.
I'd like to say the same, disney, but I just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG
Who's against "spying"? Just do it the right way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger

After a 'deal' was made. That's all that I and many others were asking for. OVERSIGHT

Nope it was right and legal before, the deal doesn't change that fact. That's why Feingold's censure resolution is out of ignorance or a pure political ploy meant to fool the voters. If he does think Bush broke the law then he should start get the House Dem's to start an impeachment. I just want to see them impeach a President for tapping the lines of our enemy's.

Back
Top Bottom