• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feds Shut Down Calif. Debt Collectors......

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Whaddya know.....the feds went after some debt colletors. I don't think many across the country would be shedding any tears. Hope none of our California peeps got calls from these people. They kept switching names and had like 7 companies. They are also going after them for trying to allude law enforcement.

Federal officials shut down California debt collectors for alleged extortion, false threats.....

A group of California debt collectors have been shut down after being accused of extortion; humiliating debtors by calling their friends, employers and families; and making false threats of lawsuits, the Federal Trade Commission said Thursday.

A temporary restraining order was used to halt four people accused of operating an elaborate debt collection scheme under seven different company names from boiler room locations in Orange and Riverside counties, the agency said.

In a complaint that alleges false and misleading claims, Thai Han, Jim Tran Phelps, Keith Hua and James Novella are accused of frequently changing company names to avoid law enforcement. Some of the names include Western Capital Group, Credit MP and Crown Funding Co.

Using a court order, the FTC has frozen their assets and has appointed a temporary receiver to handle the defendants' business while they proceed with the case.....snip~

Feds shut down Calif. debt collectors

From the article:

The four are accused of posing as process servers or law office employees seeking to deliver legal papers for a lawsuit when they contact debtors.

The debtor or a family member would often be told that if they don't return a call within two or three hours, they will be served to appear in court.

In reality, the debt collectors were just that — not process servers or legal workers — and there was no lawsuit at play.

I bet that a bunch of calls I've been getting must have something to do with these cretins.

I'd been getting occasional messages on my answering machine, saying that they were for someone named “Navindra Singh”; very menacing in general tone, and making vague threats of terrible, unspecified consequences if the call was not returned within a few hours. Last time such a call came in, I picked up and informed the cretin—with as much rudeness as I could muster—that I do not know anyone by that name, am not a party to any dispute they might have with anyone by that name, and that I will see to it that terrible things happen to them if I ever hear from them again.

The caller ID on that call, by the way, identified the calling number as 830-612-1047, and the number that the cretin gave to call back was 855-420-2433.

From the article:

The four are accused of posing as process servers or law office employees seeking to deliver legal papers for a lawsuit when they contact debtors.

The debtor or a family member would often be told that if they don't return a call within two or three hours, they will be served to appear in court.

In reality, the debt collectors were just that — not process servers or legal workers — and there was no lawsuit at play.

I bet that a bunch of calls I've been getting must have something to do with these cretins.

I'd been getting occasional messages on my answering machine, saying that they were for someone named “Navindra Singh”; very menacing in general tone, and making vague threats of terrible, unspecified consequences if the call was not returned within a few hours. Last time such a call came in, I picked up and informed the cretin—with as much rudeness as I could muster—that I do not know anyone by that name, am not a party to any dispute they might have with anyone by that name, and that I will see to it that terrible things happen to them if I ever hear from them again.

The caller ID on that call, by the way, identified the calling number as 830-612-1047, and the number that the cretin gave to call back was 855-420-2433.

Mornin BB. :2wave: Yeah I have got a few calls like that too. Its like they don't want to believe somebody, that the person they are looking for. Doesn't even live there or has no association to anyone.

My issue with these types, is.....they know that Law Enforcement is looking for them. Hence them constantly changing their name.

One reason for getting rid of the landline at my house was continual creditor calls for people who didn't live there, no matter how many times we told them that, they continued to call.

One time one was screaming into the phone that we were trash, scum who didn't pay our bills..... that one got reported to the BBB with the phone number and their (I'm sure false) name.

Don't know if they were part of this group or not, but any crack down on collectors of these types is welcome....

One reason for getting rid of the landline at my house was continual creditor calls for people who didn't live there, no matter how many times we told them that, they continued to call.

One time one was screaming into the phone that we were trash, scum who didn't pay our bills..... that one got reported to the BBB with the phone number and their (I'm sure false) name.

Don't know if they were part of this group or not, but any crack down on collectors of these types is welcome....

Heya GG. :2wave: Yeah.....I went with that list one can get put on. But they still get thru as do some Robo-calls. What I don't like is they will be in some other state. Which will show on the ID. But one can't call back to that Number.

The ones that live around the area here have a whole different way of acting. Wonder why? :lol:

Heya GG. :2wave: Yeah.....I went with that list one can get put on. But they still get thru as do some Robo-calls. What I don't like is they will be in some other state. Which will show on the ID. But one can't call back to that Number.

The ones that live around the area here have a whole different way of acting. Wonder why? :lol:

Boiler-room tactics, call everybody with the same last name and see if one sticks.... one was for a delinquent mortgage in Nevada, and the phone number they were calling is just a wee bit east of there....

Locals, well, you never know if it's someone you'll have to face the next day, eh? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom