• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feds seek 8-year prison term for officer who stormed Capitol

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Federal prosecutors are recommending an eight-year prison sentence for an off-duty Virginia police officer who was convicted by a jury of storming the U.S. Capitol to obstruct Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory.

Former Rocky Mount Police Sgt. Thomas Robertson used his law enforcement training to block police officers who were trying to protect the Capitol from a mob’s attack on Jan. 6, 2021, prosecutors said in a court filing Thursday supporting their sentencing recommendation.

“Instead of using his training and power to promote the public good, he attempted to overthrow the government,” they wrote.

An eight-year prison sentence would be the longest among hundreds of Capitol riot cases. The lengthiest so far is seven years and three months for Guy Reffitt, a Texas man who attacked the Capitol while armed with a holstered handgun.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper is scheduled to sentence Robertson next Thursday. Prosecutors also asked the judge to sentence Robertson to three years of supervised release after any prison term.

Another scumbag off to a tiny grey room.

For a second I thought the title was for the cop whom let everyone in.

They're poppin them like popcorn over there! I'm eating this up until the very last little orange kernel!
Dig it. I know a lot of people who get nuts too watching Chicago banger types (you get the picture) getting sent off to the the big house. Every last kernel.

Another scumbag off to a tiny grey room.

"For how long?" is the question. Prosecutors have established a precedent of relatively short sentences that now makes it difficult to go for the throat, like they should have to begin with. That point was made by the judge in the Reffitt case when prosecutors tried to lengthen the sentence by adding a domestic terrorism charge and failed in that effort.

Dig it. I know a lot of people who get nuts too watching Chicago banger types (you get the picture) getting sent off to the the big house. Every last kernel.
Awww, did you feel left out of this conversation so you started your own?

Awww, did you feel left out of this conversation so you started your own?
Not at all. Just noting it’s not uncommon for Americans to ‘get off’ watching people go into lockup.

Not at all. Just noting it’s not uncommon for Americans to ‘get off’ watching people go into lockup.

If you don't like watching traitor scum hauled off to jail, then it's possible that you might not be one of the good guys.

You think we're 'getting off' now, wait until Trump is indicted.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for a cop who's fighting capitol police in order to steal an election for Trump? That SOB should go away for 15 years along with all the rest of them. But we will take what we can get.

Just noting it’s not uncommon for Americans to ‘get off’ watching people go into lockup.
'watching the enemy of the state go into lockup'. American justice at work can be somewhat exciting.

Back
Top Bottom