• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feds Raid Pot Dispensaries in Washington, Where the Drug is Legal

I don't care if it's medicine or not. People should have the sovereign right to put whatever they want into their bodies, and to alter their own consciousness as they please.

The FDA has caused too many crimes against humanity to slip by. The War on Drugs is an abysmal failure.

The same people who say "federal law trumps state law" are the same people who cry about States rights when it's something they support.

The people of WA have spoken, the Fed needs to GTFO.

"One of the dispensaries was the Bayside Collective in Olympia, the state capital, where seven government vehicles converged Wednesday morning. Agents with guns drawn seized business records and about $2,500 worth of marijuana intended for cancer patients"

I'd make some snarky comment, but I'm not in the mood. I'm just too disgusted.

The Federal government is not taking too kindly to this because how dare anyone question their authority? If the owners of such places weren't such the hippy-dippy types; they would have been well within their rights to open fire.

"One of the dispensaries was the Bayside Collective in Olympia, the state capital, where seven government vehicles converged Wednesday morning. Agents with guns drawn seized business records and about $2,500 worth of marijuana intended for cancer patients"

Its a shame Washington's laws are not similar to the states that are proposing pro-2nd amendment laws where feds can be arrested.

When someone ignores vast evidence of a law being unjust and deleterious to society, merely because they want to uphold the Rule of Law...people are disinclined to give their opinion more weight than a puff of smoke.

The persistence of prohibition results in government agents being harder pressed to receive any sort of respect that doesn't come from the threat of masked goons kicking down doors and shooting family pets.

To quote a significant portion of the population disaffected by these obdurate policies, "**** the police."

So you don't believe that human beings should have a basic inalienable right to medicine?

Marijuana is not a medicine. At best, it's a pain remedy. Medicine requires a large set criteria: dosage, timing, among others. None of which really exist for marijuana. Please, don't try to make this conversation on the basis of "medicinal" marijuana. It doesn't exist. Marijuana as a pain reliever? Sure. However, there are quite a few things which do that without being considered medicine. A massage is not medicine. Ice on a sore knee is not medicine.

Last edited:
Marijuana is not a medicine. At best, it's a pain remedy. Medicine requires a large set criteria: dosage, timing, among others. None of which really exist for marijuana. Please, don't try to make this conversation on the basis of "medicinal" marijuana. It doesn't exist. Marijuana as a pain reliever? Sure. However, there are quite a few things which do that without being considered medicine. A massage is not medicine. Ice on a sore knee is not medicine.
I think it's hilarious that you claim that there is not such thing as medicinal marijuana while ignoring the fact that it's technically illegal to do research into it's medicinal uses. Despite the technically illegal nature of the research there is still evidence that marijuana has health benefits.

I think it's hilarious that you claim that there is not such thing as medicinal marijuana while ignoring the fact that it's technically illegal to do research into it's medicinal uses

Why are you making up things which are easily debunked? There are literally HUNDREDS of books on the studies on marijuana. Both done abroad and the US. Seriously, this isn't something you can just bull**** your way around and not expect to be called on.

Marijuana and Health Hazards: Methodological Issues in Issues in Current ... - Google Books

Cannabis Use and Dependence: Public Health and Public Policy - Wayne Hall, Rosalie Liccardo Pacula - Google Books

Cannabis and Cannabinoids: Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutic Potential - Ethan B Russo - Google Books

Marijuana As Medicine?: The Science Beyond the Controversy - Alison Mack, Janet Joy - Google Books

Those are 4 books with literally hundreds of citations for their claims. So where did they get their research from? Look, I know it's cool to try and bull**** people because you just started smoking weed last week. However, don't try and just make ridiculous claims up. Marijuana research has been going on for the better part of the last 50 years. Even as those PSAs on "Reefer Madness" were going on, there were entire departments dedicated to studying its effects. So no, it's not illegal to study marijuana; not even technically.

As a matter of fact; some of the longest careers in pharmacological studies belong to guys who study marijuana. Most of them before I was even born:

Marijuana and Pregnancy on MedicineNet.com

Grinspoon has been studying the effects of marijuana for more than 30 years, beginning when his son used it to ease nausea caused by chemotherapy treatments. He says many studies regarding cannabis and childbirth fail to take into account socioeconomic factors, degree of prenatal care, or behaviors like smoking tobacco.

So please, please tell me all about how it's "technically" illegal to study marijuana? Where? Not in the US. You sure about your claims, buddy?

Last edited:
Why are you making up things which are easily debunked? There are literally HUNDREDS of books on the studies on marijuana. Both done abroad and the US. Seriously, this isn't something you can just bull**** your way around and not expect to be called on.

Marijuana and Health Hazards: Methodological Issues in Issues in Current ... - Google Books

Cannabis Use and Dependence: Public Health and Public Policy - Wayne Hall, Rosalie Liccardo Pacula - Google Books

Cannabis and Cannabinoids: Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutic Potential - Ethan B Russo - Google Books

Marijuana As Medicine?: The Science Beyond the Controversy - Alison Mack, Janet Joy - Google Books

Those are 4 books with literally hundreds of citations for their claims. So where did they get their research from? Look, I know it's cool to try and bull**** people because you just started smoking weed last week. However, don't try and just make ridiculous claims up. Marijuana research has been going on for the better part of the last 50 years. Even as those PSAs on "Reefer Madness" were going on, there were entire departments dedicated to studying its effects. So no, it's not illegal to study marijuana; not even technically.
So your argument is that because research gets done and gets done often means that it should be legal? Great because that's pretty much the same argument that people who just want to get high use. I'm glad to hear that you are now an advocate for full legalization of marijuana.
per wikipedia...
[h=3]Constraints on open research[/h]Cannabis research is challenging since the plant is illegal in most countries. Research-grade samples of the drug are difficult to obtain for research purposes, unless granted under authority of national governments.
So just because research was done doesn't mean it was done legally. And the research that does get done has huge government restrictions.

So your argument is that because research gets done and gets done often means that it should be legal?

No, that is the strawman you made up to make your incredibly wrong claim on the illegality of marijuana research sound less ridiculous.

So just because research was done doesn't mean it was done legally. And the research that does get done has huge government restrictions.

Hahaha, what? So now you're downgrading it to "huge government restrictions". Well, I guess that's a step down from "technically illegal". Look buddy, here's the myth:

"Marijuana research is technically illegal".

Here is fact #1:

Marijuana research is not technically illegal in the US.

Welcome to CMCR

Welcome to the University of California's Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR). The purpose of the Center is to coordinate rigorous scientific studies to assess the safety and efficacy of cannabis and cannabis compounds for treating medical conditions. The funding of the CMCR is the result of SB 847 (Vasconcellos), passed by the State Legislature and signed into law by Governor Gray Davis. The legislation calls for a three year program overseeing objective, high quality medical research that will "enhance understanding of the efficacy and adverse effects of marijuana as a pharmacological agent," stressing that the project "should not be construed as encouraging or sanctioning the social or recreational use of marijuana" (SB 847).
Read More

That begs the question: Where is it illegal? Afghanistan? Fiji? Cayman Islands? Where are these pharmacological powerhouses where marijuana research is technically illegal? It's certainly not Europe or the US.

Here is fact #2:

Marijuana is the subject of a large amount of scientific research:

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10...source=og&sa=N&tab=wp&ei=jkbyUdIwgdb1BNi4gbgB

Which also puts a dent in your "there isn't enough research" and "it's technically illegal" argument.

Here is fact #3:

Medicinal marijuana is largely a myth:

http://www.maps.org/media/vaporizer_epub.pdf

Although cannabis may have potential therapeutic value, inhalation of a combustion product is an undesirable delivery
system. The aim of the study was to investigate vaporization using the Volcano device as an alternative means of delivery of inhaled Cannabis sativa.
------------

Now, if you want to sit around here and pretend you have a case for why marijuana should be used as a pain reliever? Sure. Go for it. But it doesn't fit the criteria of a medicine to begin with. It's not a medicine but that's not because it's not made available to the small island nation of Fiji for studying. It's not a medicine but that's not because there isn't research on it; that's proven blatantly false. It's simply doesn't fit the description of a medicine even by layman standards.

As a matter of fact; marijuana if anything has been discredited for being crude and ineffective in its most basic form of consumption. Even if it were to be legalized, it has already been shown many a time that simply smoking it won't bring you the cancer curing miracle you're hoping for.

This is something I've done a lot of research on. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty well known in this forum for my support of legalizing it. However, basing your argument for legalization on it being a medicine is simply bunk science. It's a pain reliever. That's more than enough to make it legal.

Last edited:
But NONE of that matters here. It IS medicine because the state classes it as medicine and allows medicinal use with a prescription. This is just another example of federal overreach and none of the problems, real or imaged, that the feds say they need to take the power away from the state in order to solve are being solved, or even made better by the federal power grab.

Here's the deal. You know when I said nothing would convince me? Well, something convinced me. OMFG. I agree with YOU. That was absurd. I really had no idea.

Before I go on, see the quote I picked up here from the NCI shown as Spoiler? Why doesn't it show up in your original post? That's just plain weird. Did you edit it or something?

Anyway, thanks to your frownie face, I Googled and found the exact same thing. We probably Googled the same.

I am wrong. (I'm glad I'm wrong. Really glad.) Isn't the NCI "the government"? What? Are they nuckin' futz? Or just related to me? ;)

Thank you, Human Being. I've learned something extremely important tonight.

I wish I could like your post ten or a hundred times.

You are an awesome DP poster. Thanks you for restoring my hope in humanity.

That is so sweet, Federalist!! Thank you!

Not sweet. Truthful.

I think you are the ONLY person in a political forum that I've EVER seen admit they were wrong. It takes a certain kind of character to have the stones to do that, when you know everyone is going to slam you for "backpedaling" or whatever.

Oh, and kudos to HumanBeing for being gracious and civilized in response.

I was disgusted about personal stuff tonight, and you guys really brought a smile to my face.

As I left Colorado today, the Denver Post had a state map showing which Counties were yes, which were no and which can'tor figure it out. County rights. What's next?

Yeah, but they all have side effects, while marijuana really doesn't have any side effects. Why shouldn't they be able to use it for their chemo related pain?

Pot has no side effects?

Use of marijuana can cause dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, dry or red eyes, heart and blood pressure problems, lung problems, impaired mental functioning, headache, dizziness, numbness, panic reactions, hallucinations, flashbacks, depression, and sexual problems.

Lung diseases: Long-term use of marijuana can make lung problems worse. Regular, long-term marijuana use has been associated with several cases of an unusual type of emphysema, a lung disease.

For some reason the side effects page does not appear when clicking the link. Click on the side effects tab above Marijuana Overview Information near the top of the page.

MARIJUANA: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Last edited:
So why let people vote on making it legal if it's still going to be illegal either way? And don't you think cancer patients have an inalienable right to the only natural medicine known and proven to have the ability to damage and kill cancer cells? I mean, why spend all these billions of dollars on finding a cure for cancer if it's just going to be made illegal anyway?

That dang-gone overreaching Federal government!

They've been doing this in California for years, despite medical marijuana dispensaries being perfectly legal with a physician prescription. States' rights my ass. :2mad:

They've been doing this in California for years, despite medical marijuana dispensaries being perfectly legal with a physician prescription. States' rights my ass. :2mad:

I'm growing 2 plants in my green house at the house I'm building in Washington. This makes me nervous.

It really doesn't matter whether pot is or is not medicinal.

What matters is that passing laws against it and throwing people in jail for violating those laws doesn't work, and, in fact, only makes matters worse.
Whiskey isn't really medicinal, either, but we learned that outlawing it doesn't work and makes matters worse way back in the 1930s. What is taking so long for t he same realization with pot?

What matters is that passing laws against it and throwing people in jail for violating those laws doesn't work, and, in fact, only makes matters worse.
Whiskey isn't really medicinal, either, but we learned that outlawing it doesn't work and makes matters worse way back in the 1930s. What is taking so long for t he same realization with pot?

Quite simple really, alcohol is a recreational drug favored by many more voters, once marijuana attains that status it will become legal as well. The good (or is it bad?) news is that no constitutional action is required to lift the federal ban on marijuana, as none was needed to ban it nationwide initially (for some unknown reason).

I quite agree. Some seem to just feel the need to exaggerate its medical potential.

BTW, I spend last week in Olmpia Wa. While we laughed at the fellow on 4th ave. asking for spare pot, the bus rides around the city were at more entertaining. More than a few people got on asking what day it was, and were surprised what day it actually was. Ten they would sit and laugh for a few stops, rather Inappropriately. I enjoyed the show.

Quite simple really, alcohol is a recreational drug favored by many more voters, once marijuana attains that status it will become legal as well. The good (or is it bad?) news is that no constitutional action is required to lift the federal ban on marijuana, as none was needed to ban it nationwide initially (for some unknown reason).

Could the reason be the government's habit of ignoring the Constitution whenever it gets in the way of what they want to do?

The federal government strikes yet another blow towards protecting us from ourselves and making sure that we continue to have a quarter of the world's prisoners right here in the bastion of liberty.

Does anyone in Washington understand that the war on drugs isn't working? Does anyone care?

The "war on drugs" is a very profitable affair; if you get caught with (enough) bad stuff then the gov't can simply take all of your good stuff and keep it. They call it the asset forfeiture program.

Asset Forfeiture Abuse | American Civil Liberties Union

Back
Top Bottom