• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feds oppose Calif. Prop 19 to legalize marijuana

Feds oppose Calif. Prop 19 to legalize marijuana | TuscaloosaNews.com

This has me fuming. I really question just what kind of freedom we have if I can't even enjoy a harmless joint without facing prison time. Polls indicate that Prop. 19 may very well pass so it will be interesting to see how the DEA acts.

Hopefully Obama will tell them to back off like he did with medical Marijuana. If the DEA goes ape **** and wastes billions of tax payer dollars on fighting the inevitable then I am gonna be upset.

I can't stand Eric Holder; he is by far my least favorite member of Obama's cabinet. Is it too much to ask that JUST ONCE we get a competent attorney general? Janet Reno, John Ashcroft, Alberto Gonzales, and now Eric Holder have all been ****ing horrible. Of the recent attorneys general, only Michael Mukasey has been competent (if unimpressive)...and he wasn't there very long.

Obama should fire Holder after the midterms.

Who is going to pay for all the new junkies that are created?

You do not know what a junkie is. Please stop using the word. Now.

No need, Marijuana is non-addictive and does not create junkies.

Hey look, people posting inaccurate and incorrect information again. Yes, Marijuana very much can be addictive.

As to creating "junkies" this is a subjective term that can change from one to the other.

In regards to this, I hope the federal government backs off and lets California go...OR they try to stomp it out and that causes a national uprising for this on a federal level.

Who is going to pay for all the new junkies that are created?

Hey! Why do new junkies get all the attention? What about those of us who were weed junkies long before it became cool? Nobody paid for US before it was legalized, so why are you willing to give more to these newbie, fad following junkies, APDST?

The junkie BS comes from the uninformed who buy into the lies that have been told about pot since it was first made illegal back in the early 1900s.

It was outlawed because of racism. Here's a little history for those who didn't already know this. By the way there were once laws stating you had to grow marijuana.

I think it's best to deal in facts and these are a few facts an a link to more. Shock and amaze your friends with your knowledge that the Mormons use of the devil weed helped get it banned. Too much.

Why is Marijuana Illegal? - Drug WarRant

The United States Census of 1850 counted 8,327 hemp “plantations” (minimum 2,000-acre farm) growing cannabis hemp for cloth, canvas and even the cordage used for baling cotton.

In the early 1900s, the western states developed significant tensions regarding the influx of Mexican-Americans. The revolution in Mexico in 1910 spilled over the border, with General Pershing’s army clashing with bandit Pancho Villa. Later in that decade, bad feelings developed between the small farmer and the large farms that used cheaper Mexican labor. Then, the depression came and increased tensions, as jobs and welfare resources became scarce.

One of the “differences” seized upon during this time was the fact that many Mexicans smoked marijuana and had brought the plant with them, and it was through this that California apparently passed the first state marijuana law, outlawing “preparations of hemp, or loco weed.”

However, one of the first state laws outlawing marijuana may have been influenced, not just by Mexicans using the drug, but, oddly enough, because of Mormons using it. Mormons who traveled to Mexico in 1910 came back to Salt Lake City with marijuana. The church’s reaction to this may have contributed to the state’s marijuana law.

Other states quickly followed suit with marijuana prohibition laws, including Wyoming (1915), Texas (1919), Iowa (1923), Nevada (1923), Oregon (1923), Washington (1923), Arkansas (1923), and Nebraska (1927). These laws tended to be specifically targeted against the Mexican-American population.

When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator’s comment: “When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff… he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies.” In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: “All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy.”

Personally that's why I've never smoked weed. You have no way of knowing what is in it, plus I don't want some stupid drug charge on my record.

Bah, neither are a real concern. Try it out, way better than alcohol IMO.

I don't understand, still, how a state can legalize something when the feds have made it illegal.

Isn't there an issue of supremacy, here - and thus supremacy falls to the federal government?

Where does the Constitution give the federal government the right to carry on a war on drugs?

If it doesn't, why is it up to the feds to decide whether pot is legal or not?

I don't understand, still, how a state can legalize something when the feds have made it illegal.

Isn't there an issue of supremacy, here - and thus supremacy falls to the federal government?

Technically yes...but the states don't have to cooperate. If California legalizes it, the FBI and DEA will still be able to raid people and prosecute it in federal courts (if they really want to), but the state officials won't arrest anyone or cooperate with federal investigations.

Hey look, people posting inaccurate and incorrect information again. Yes, Marijuana very much can be addictive.

As to creating "junkies" this is a subjective term that can change from one to the other.

In regards to this, I hope the federal government backs off and lets California go...OR they try to stomp it out and that causes a national uprising for this on a federal level.

there are no chemicals within Marijuana that cause dependence which is why it is considered non-addictive. Sure you can become addicted but that's a pyshical addiction, much like how I enjoy too many reeses cups. There is nothing in the reeses cups that is making me uncomftorable and irratible while going some time without them, I just enjoy the taste. Same can be said for Marijuana. A chronic user can drop Marijuana suddenly and only experience very mild withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom