• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feds Now Have Evidence Trump Broke the Law to Become President. Will Whitaker Bury It?

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Feds Now Have Evidence Trump Broke the Law to Become President. Will Whitaker Bury It?

stormy-daniels-trump-mcdougal-480x270.jpg

Stormy Daniels, Donald Trump (a/k/a David Dennison), Karen McDougal

11/10/18
Friday’s in-depth Wall Street Journal report suggests the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York and the FBI appear to possess evidence of Donald Trump’s involvement in a criminal scheme that helped get him elected president. This raises serious questions about what comes next, particularly in light of Trump’s appointment of Matthew Whitaker, a political loyalist, as acting attorney general. Trump played a central role in hush-money payments made to Karen McDougal and Stephanie Clifford during the 2016 presidential campaign, the Journal reports, adding more detail to the case of Michael Cohen, Trump’s former fixer-lawyer who pled guilty to federal campaign finance violations in the Southern District in August. In addition, we now know that the evidence of Trump’s involvement in this criminal scheme is not limited to Cohen. Even accounting for the likelihood that the piece relies in some part on information provided by Cohen himself, there are plenty of other sources weighing in; the reporters note they obtained information from “interviews with three dozen people who have direct knowledge of the events or who have been briefed on them, as well as court papers, corporate records and other documents.” All of this, taken together, indicates that evidence of Trump’s involvement in the hush-money scheme would be a combination of witnesses and other evidence not limited to Cohen, which makes it much more difficult for Trump to brush this off as lies concocted by Cohen to save himself, which Trump’s team have already begun arguing.

So, can President Trump be charged by the SDNY with a crime of violating the federal campaign finance laws? Probably not. First, even assuming that the quality of the evidence is to the level that prosecutors demand, it is currently DOJ policy not to indict a sitting president, and SDNY, fiercely independent as it is, is still part of DOJ. If the feds have evidence of criminality but do not believe they can indict, then what becomes of the information? If the SDNY charges other people or entities involved in the campaign finance scheme, Trump’s involvement as an unindicted co-conspirator could be laid out in those documents for the public to see. Short of that, it will be challenging for the SDNY to share its evidence and information with other authorities. Rule 6e of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure strictly governs disclosure of grand jury materials. We do not know how much, if any, of the SDNY’s evidence falls into this category. Further complicating matters is the DOJ’s new boss, who has taken the view that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Trump’s finances would cross a “red line.” But, given Whitaker’s unusually partisan past and his statements hostile to any criminal investigation of Trump, the American public and Congress need to ensure that any evidence that the SDNY possesses of Trump’s participation in an illegal campaign finance scheme to help get him elected does not get buried by political forces looking to protect him.

Basically, if Trump had lost the 2016 election, he would soon be an indicted co-conspirator for violating campaign finance laws. However, Trump did win the 2016 election and the question of indicting a sitting president is unsettled. Trump is protected due to; 1) there is no legal precedent for indicting a sitting president, 2) Trump just appointed a clearly pro-Trump and Mueller-biased DoJ official as USAG, 3) the Trump enabling GOP Senate would most likely not convict no matter what any Articles of Impeachment evidence demonstrated, and 4) SCOTUS is majority politically conservative and newly confirmed Justice Kavanaugh is very much indebted to Donald Trump and the GOP.

Without a resignation, the United States may very well have a [legally/politically protected] criminal in the Oval Office for the next two years. I believe it is absolutely imperative to make certain that Donald Trump is not re-elected in 2020. Do not allow the Mueller Report to be quashed. Federal/SDNY grand juries should indict Donald Trump and if at all possible, publish relevant felony indictments. If the indictments are ordered sealed and placed in abatement, the House of Representatives should bring Articles of Impeachment with open televised hearings. It is critical that the American people have all of the relevant information available to make an informed decision in regards to re-electing Donald Trump (and sympathetic GOP Senators) in 2020.

Basically, if Trump had lost the 2016 election, he would soon be an indicted co-conspirator for violating campaign finance laws. However, Trump did win the 2016 election and the question of indicting a sitting president is unsettled. Trump is protected due to; 1) there is no legal precedent for indicting a sitting president, 2) Trump just appointed a clearly pro-Trump and Mueller-biased DoJ official as USAG, 3) the Trump enabling GOP Senate would most likely not convict no matter what any Articles of Impeachment evidence demonstrated, and 4) SCOTUS is majority politically conservative and newly confirmed Justice Kavanaugh is very much indebted to Donald Trump and the GOP.

Without a resignation, the United States may very well have a [legally/politically protected] criminal in the Oval Office for the next two years. I believe it is absolutely imperative to make certain that Donald Trump is not re-elected in 2020. Do not allow the Mueller Report to be quashed. Federal/SDNY grand juries should indict Donald Trump and if at all possible, publish relevant felony indictments. If the indictments are ordered sealed and placed in abatement, the House of Representatives should bring Articles of Impeachment with open televised hearings. It is critical that the American people have all of the relevant information available to make an informed decision in regards to re-electing Donald Trump (and sympathetic GOP Senators) in 2020.

This is so much hyperbole and conjecture. Fake thread! Put it in the CT forum.

The Gig is up. I have seen the lazy ass lackluster way that the MAGA Cult have tried to defend Trump today. They can't either b/c they don't want to or they don't know what's going on. They don't take a second to read through threads, posts, or articles. It's just headline gotcha clickbait. I think a lot of them know that Trump not going to visit the troops is bad. They just don't admit it and try to brush it under the rug. Yet we also have the fires that Trump isn't doing anything about and Whitaker. Well the right is also trying to scare the old people that mobs of democrats are stealing votes in Florida, without any evidence. Fox News was not happy with Trump using their employees during his rallies and have not tweeted for more than 24 hours. (They say it's a silent treatment over twitter policies and tucker carlson, but why silent?)

They want to defend Trump, but they just can't. Not with these scandals and seemingly no defense from their right wing cable news pundits. I believe someone on the other thread asked us what evidence they have that Trump broke the law. Here it is. Plain as day. He broke federal campaign finance laws.

The Midterms were a disaster for him. They yielded the largest house gains since Nixon. Everyone knows he didn't vet Whitaker. That it's unconstitutional and may be part of Mueller's plan. The FBI and even some of the media have figured out his games. The world hates him and ridicules him. Europe hates him. His first love, Macron owned him this weekend. The Saudis relationship is now very very tainted as his ties to them have been exposed. The Chinese laugh at him and his association w/Putin is questionable at this point.

The walls are closing in. His son is fearing for his life. He sits alone today in his hotel room "having meetings w/world leaders" watching cable news unable to find the honor to visit the troops. People see Trump as one of the greatest threats to national security. He searches high and low for friends and crowds even if he is forced to side with the likes of unsavory F-list characters like Kanye West, Nazis, and Alex Jones. Trump's legacy is ruined and he will never be able to go back to his old lifestyle ever again. He'll be lucky to escape prison.

BTW, for those wondering most of these scandals bubbled up this week!!!!! Trump has scandals equivalent to a lifetime career politician in a week.

Last edited:
Please give it a rest! Over and over the same garbage.

Just one more nothing all dressed up for the shock value.

Please give it a rest! Over and over the same garbage.
Just one more nothing all dressed up for the shock value.

If we had to sit through 8 years of Benghazi hearings you can sit through 2 years of investigations for actual crimes that harmed our democracy.

The less the left has, the more they will claim to have something.

Sounds like regardless of what happens, President Trump will not be going anywhere unless he loses in 2020.

LOL, Daily Bull****, . . .er Beast. Meh.

While this certainly looks like he broke the law, I personally can’t get upset about this. There is so much LEGAL stuff he does that bothers me more. If he had stole campaign money to pay them that would be a different story. But saying it is illegal to pay his girlfriends off to keep the affair a secret because the word getting out might have hurt is chances of being elected, is too long of a technicality rope for me to walk. It is like with Clinton, yes he technically broke the law in lying under oath but he was lying about getting a BJ. The secrets they were hiding weren’t crimes. They are crimes of technicality to hide embarrassment, not to hide other crimes.

I said it was stupid when it happened to Clinton and if this happens it will be stupid too.

While this certainly looks like he broke the law, I personally can’t get upset about this. There is so much LEGAL stuff he does that bothers me more. If he had stole campaign money to pay them that would be a different story. But saying it is illegal to pay his girlfriends off to keep the affair a secret because the word getting out might have hurt is chances of being elected, is too long of a technicality rope for me to walk. It is like with Clinton, yes he technically broke the law in lying under oath but he was lying about getting a BJ. The secrets they were hiding weren’t crimes. They are crimes of technicality to hide embarrassment, not to hide other crimes.

I said it was stupid when it happened to Clinton and if this happens it will be stupid too.
Whether a president broke a law and whether he deserves to be removed from office for it, are two entirely different conversations.

Democrats can win the former, but not the latter with this alone.

If we had to sit through 8 years of Benghazi hearings you can sit through 2 years of investigations for actual crimes that harmed our democracy.

Oh my gosh is that it? Nothing more? There is no actual crime that is the problem.

Without a resignation, the United States may very well have a [legally/politically protected] criminal in the Oval Office for the next two years.

Goodness. We haven't had a President who violated Campaign Finance Law since.... well, the last one. Well do I remember how you and other Liberals insisted that it was terrible, just terrible... :roll:

I didn’t want to see Clinton impeached for his liaison with an intern, I wanted him impeached for wagging his finger (literally) at the American people and lying about it.
At 1:18
https://youtu.be/luLpdr4n8m4
And I couldn’t care less who Trump plants his little mushroom in either, but deliberately breaking the law in order to cover up the event and lying to us repeatedly about it? Yeah, I hope he is prosecuted even if it has to wait until he’s out of office.

I didn’t want to see Clinton impeached for his liaison with an intern, I wanted him impeached for wagging his finger (literally) at the American people and lying about it.
At 1:18
https://youtu.be/luLpdr4n8m4
And I couldn’t care less who Trump plants his little mushroom in either, but deliberately breaking the law in order to cover up the event and lying to us repeatedly about it? Yeah, I hope he is prosecuted even if it has to wait until he’s out of office.

We have different standards but I respect your consistency.

I agree but these “lock her up” people can’t play by two different set of rules. I guarantee you that if Obama had secretly paid off his girlfriends he would be impeached just as Bill Clinton was.

Hillary’s email issue was also no big deal but they wanted to throw her in prison for mismanaging emails.

Trump needs to be put through the same grinder they put Hillary through.

Time to subpoena Trump’s emails and dig through them looking for new crimes like they did to Hillary.

How can we have one team playing by a completely different set of rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Friday’s in-depth Wall Street Journal report suggests the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York and the FBI appear to possess evidence"

Please try to make you title reflect the body of your OP.

Thanks

I agree but these “lock her up” people can’t play by two different set of rules. I guarantee you that if Obama had secretly paid off his girlfriends he would be impeached just as Bill Clinton was.

Hillary’s email issue was also no big deal but they wanted to throw her in prison for mismanaging emails.

Trump needs to be put through the same grinder they put Hillary through.

Time to subpoena Trump’s emails and dig through them looking for new crimes like they did to Hillary.

How can we have one team playing by a completely different set of rules?

Trump doesn't email. But a number of tweets should be looked into.

While this certainly looks like he broke the law, I personally can’t get upset about this.

If you can't get upset by this, then you're pretty hopeless. Trump would most likely not be president today if he did not break campaign finance laws just prior to the election.

If you can't get upset by this, then you're pretty hopeless. Trump would most likely not be president today if he did not break campaign finance laws just prior to the election.

I don’t see how it would have changed things. Everyone knew Trump was a womanizer and his voters didn’t care. His deplorable character wasn’t a secret.

Whether or not the president can be indicted has not been settled in law

The Ben Ghazi hearings did NOT go on for 8 years, or anywhere close to that. It lasted maybe a year. The benghzi attack occurred 6 years ago, and Obama has been out of office nearly 2 years! The Ben Ghazi hearings were designed to expose how the Obama admin tried to cover up and lie about the motivation behind the attacks, claiming for well over a week that IT WAS NOT A TERRORIST ATTACK. That, despite the fact that they knew the truth the same day. Hillary, Susan Rice, Obama and others LIED about the attacks, knowing that his re-election was less than 2 months away, and polls showed that democrats had been viewed as weak on terror! So they claimed it WASNT terror! The whole point was to undermine the democratic process, by deceiving 330 million Americans! Unlike the laughable Russia collusion nonsense, there IS proof of the Benghazi cover up right here: https://youtu.be/uFf0dUH3OtU

So, the Benghazi hearings were OK in your mind?

Even if he broke the law, how do these alleged rise to the level of impeachable crimes?

A nothing-burger thread that should be put into the CT forum.

Back
Top Bottom