• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal workers should enroll in Obamacare: Rand Paul

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - With some in Congress arguing lawmakers and their staff should not get subsidies to cover their health insurance as health-care reform goes into effect, the Republican senator from Kentucky told reporters that he's going to start pushing a constitutional amendment that goes even further.

The proposal will outlaw any special exemptions for government employees. This means all federal workers would have to purchase health insurance on the new Obamacare exchanges instead of getting taxpayer-funded subsidies. Critics have long maintained that those subsidies amount to special treatment. The Obamacare health insurance exchange opens October 1.

http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=52486

Good. I personally think that either everyone should be able to opt out, or that nobody will get exemptions. Obama pushed this piece of crap into being, and some of his best buds are skating out of it. Pisses me off to no end.

If he pulls that off, he gets my vote when it's time for him to run for president.

Good. I personally think that either everyone should be able to opt out, or that nobody will get exemptions. Obama pushed this piece of crap into being, and some of his best buds are skating out of it. Pisses me off to no end.
The very fact that some are allowed to be exempt from the law means the law itself is illegitimate. I agree - this piece of crap needs to go. It's absolutely infuriating the arrogance this administration is displaying - and their utter disrespect for the American people and their laws.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - With some in Congress arguing lawmakers and their staff should not get subsidies to cover their health insurance as health-care reform goes into effect, the Republican senator from Kentucky told reporters that he's going to start pushing a constitutional amendment that goes even further.

The proposal will outlaw any special exemptions for government employees. This means all federal workers would have to purchase health insurance on the new Obamacare exchanges instead of getting taxpayer-funded subsidies. Critics have long maintained that those subsidies amount to special treatment. The Obamacare health insurance exchange opens October 1.

Federal workers should enroll in Obamacare, Rand Paul says - Politics & Policy - Catholic Online

Is there something in that monstrous law that allows the president to grant exemptions as he sees fit? Or to delay parts of the law? Because, otherwise, I don't see any presidential power that allows him to parse out laws or exempt people from laws that others have to follow.

Is there something in that monstrous law that allows the president to grant exemptions as he sees fit? Or to delay parts of the law? Because, otherwise, I don't see any presidential power that allows him to parse out laws or exempt people from laws that others have to follow.

Well, he's been doing it for years now, and nobody has put a stop to it, so it's either allowable, or nobody has the balls to do anything about it. Neither would surprise me.

Since when has he demonstrated a rat's patoot for what he's allowed to do or not allowed to do? He just freeking does whatever he pleases.

Well, he's been doing it for years now, and nobody has put a stop to it, so it's either allowable, or nobody has the balls to do anything about it. Neither would surprise me.

Our government has been getting away with things for a long time now, nothing new. But like you said, no balls.

maybe I am confused. Didn't Obama say that if you like your plan you get to keep it?

While it is not mandatory many federal employees signed up for the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. Employees get to select from a bunch of plans and chooses one that fits their needs on a yearly basis. The employee pays a portion and the federal agency pays a portion.

Are you suggestion federal employees loose this option?. Seems the program the way OPM runs it is much like the healthcare market place being suggested under Affordable Health Care Act.

maybe I am confused. Didn't Obama say that if you like your plan you get to keep it?

While it is not mandatory many federal employees signed up for the Federal Employees Health Benefits program. Employees get to select from a bunch of plans and chooses one that fits their needs on a yearly basis. The employee pays a portion and the federal agency pays a portion.

Are you suggestion federal employees loose this option?. Seems the program the way OPM runs it is much like the healthcare market place being suggested under Affordable Health Care Act.

To the bolded: I don't believe what he says anyway, so I would never have taken his promises seriously. ;)

What I am suggesting is consistency with regard to how the law and regulations are applied. Either we all have the option to opt out, or nobody does. Federal employees seem to get exempted from a lot of things, as do many union members. I favor equality under the law, and not special favors to pets.

To the bolded: I don't believe what he says anyway, so I would never have taken his promises seriously. ;)

What I am suggesting is consistency with regard to how the law and regulations are applied. Either we all have the option to opt out, or nobody does. Federal employees seem to get exempted from a lot of things, as do many union members. I favor equality under the law, and not special favors to pets.

do you favor changing.breaking of retirement plans? What about those already retired and have a health plan? Why force us to change?

do you favor changing.breaking of retirement plans? What about those already retired and have a health plan? Why force us to change?

I don't want to force anyone to change. I want consistency in the law.

I would be annoyed not being able to continue the same insurance program that I have been using, but I'd support Paul's efforts. If the government is pushing a healthcare program, then the federal government should be using that as the foundation upon which it offers health insurance to its employees

I would be annoyed not being able to continue the same insurance program that I have been using, but I'd support Paul's efforts. If the government is pushing a healthcare program, then the federal government should be using that as the foundation upon which it offers health insurance to its employees

it basically is. The Federal Employee Health Benefit program is pretty much like an health care exchange. You pick and choose from a group of plans. Employees pay a part/agency pays a part.
Don't confuse the FEHB program from what Congress does for themselves.
My daughter at her work at a private company had a choice of different hc plans to choose from.

Didn't his dad voluntarily do something to that effect himself when a congressmen, or maybe it was government retirement, or maybe not.

Funny how that lie he told didn't end up as law.

This all seems to have some fishy aspects and maybe it is because of all the misinformation going around about the ACA.

Let us start with the first thing. What is the difference between the subsidies given to federal employees and the ones being given to regular people to afford the new health care? Are they getting a different level of subsidies, or is this pretty much them getting the same thing we do if they make in the same area as someone who would regularly get it?

Then I have to ask the question of are they actually getting different health plans, or is the exchange just a different name and done on a federal level and not on a state level because they arfe federal employees?

Then I have to ask the question of what is the problem with the government actually helping to pay for health insurance as part of their employment package a year earlier than other businesses who also have the option of actually contributing to employee healthcare plans instead of dropping them for a year until their mandate comes around? There is nothing in the law that says a business has to force it's people to get their own health insurance, they could continue to provide it to their employees without a mandate.

I guess really what I am asking is whether or not this is an issue or just made up outrage? Are they really getting better plans and more money, or is that just the claim the right is making to make another issue? If I can get the same subsidies and have the same health plans the only real complaint i might have is that it might be cheaper to go through a federal exchange that covers the entire country with competition over the state exchange which might work on geographical price gouging. Yeah, it would suck if i had to pay more simply because I had to go through my state rather than federally, but we do not have to throw out Obamacare to fix that, we just have to make a single exchange and say screw you to state legislature endorsed price gouging for their insurance company masters.

Here is hoping for an intelligent response that explains it over the knee jerk complaints that do not actually tell me anything but the spin the right likes to put on things. Sorry guys, I need a little more than a republican battle cry because I trust them about as much as i trust a politician.

Um, there is no special exemption for government employees regarding Obamacare. Shouldn't Rand Paul be aware of this?

His efforts are based on a flawed understanding of how the health care bill affects government employees. His proposal literally is not applicable to reality.

Federal workers should enroll in Obamacare, Rand Paul says - Politics & Policy - Catholic Online

That would be something I could agree with it, However, I think his motives are purely political asking for this. I don't see him asking that federal workers be moved to SS or any other public program. So I'm inclined to believe this is just a political ploy to help get rid of ACA.

Federal workers should ALL be moved to public programs they continually vote for and steal money from.

Why is it necessary to constantly correct the Left on their false claims when the facts that prove otherwise are readily available? And it doesn't seem to matter which topic is being discussed, either. Do they hope that nobody knows the difference, and they can :bs: their way through things? Strange, indeed! :wow:
I don't know. I suppose if no one says anything different, they believe that what they say will be made into truth somehow. It's a complicated issue, so there's ample opportunity to cloud it. There are also those who maintain that the ACA is really a right wing idea - a product of conservative thought. There are examples of such a thing, but I don't see a conservative national program in law on the federal books anywhere. It isn't there, and the PPACA received no conservative or even republican votes at all. I can understand why the left might want some to think that, though.

he is going for a Constitutional Amendment- yeah THAT ain't political grandstanding! What is with these TP wingnuts???

If they couldn't get a CA for 'defense of marriage' what in the Sam Hill makes 'em believe they can get one for this??? CONs in the Senate balked at defunding ACA, no way Jose this CA flies!

Oh the Kaiser Family Foundation has the ACA calculator out to determine your ACA premium costs. I used it and found my premium cost stayed the same 343 vs 344 ACA Silver Plan, but the total out of pocket per year is capped well below what I have now. No AFLAC style riders but the deductible is half what I have now. I can see why the CONs are pushing so hard for defunding, once the regular folks start seeing what is available and start deciding what they will do, the heat will go out of the CON fires.

Now the attack on 'government workers' that is roughly 8% of the workforce and that includes the military (BLS). Ya'll wanting to end the Military Healthcare system as well????

According to Gallup if you include ALL government workers- that means state and local- the average is 12%

Back
Top Bottom