• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuin

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples - ABC News
Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

Judge Rules MS Clerks Cannot Cite Religion to Abstain From Issuing Marriage Licenses

A federal judge has ruled that Mississippi clerks cannot cite their own religious beliefs to recuse themselves from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves' ruling on Monday blocks the state from enforcing part of a religious objections bill that was supposed to become law Friday.

Reeves is extending his previous order that overturned Mississippi's ban on same-sex marriage. He says circuit clerks are required to provide equal treatment for all couples, gay or straight. Mississippi's religious objections measure, House Bill 1523, was filed in response to last summer's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage nationwide…………..

Every American citizen deserves to be treated with decency and respect no matter what………no matter who they or what they believe.....
So why do we need a court to say what we all know should be?

Re: Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Is

All those sinners out there getting married, why does there have to be a ruling about SSM and not for people that have been married multiple times? Or lived together for many years (in sin as they say), or...well you get it. The only sinners they seem concerned about is SS. Why is that?

Re: Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Is

yeah they're pulling the kim davis card even a year after she was held in contempt. What, did they expect a different outcome? It never ceases to amaze me how far mississippi will go to oppress its minorities

maybe their politicians could actually fix the problems that make their state dead last in just about everything, instead of contributing to them! But then, that's why they've got the "leaders" they do - 198 years of hate and counting

Manufactured controversy. This is the last gasp of the anti marriage equality movement. Suddenly every government employees has a religous right to discriminate and somehow empowering state officials with the subjective ability to declare who they will and will not serve is a conservative principle. There are probably fewer than 100 clerks in all of Mississippi and fewer still that care one way or the other about same-sex marriage and yet this is suppose to be indicative of some grand destruction of religous liberty across the nation. That folks is what we call grasping at straws.

All those sinners out there getting married, why does there have to be a ruling about SSM and not for people that have been married multiple times? Or lived together for many years (in sin as they say), or...well you get it. The only sinners they seem concerned about is SS. Why is that?

Well, you know...the Bible talks about Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve. :roll:

Then there is all that Old Testament law. Throw in all those letters from Paul of Tarsus and there you go. :shrug:

I agree with you. There is a lot of selective reading and outright hypocrisy when it comes to finger pointing at "unacceptable" sin.

IMO I believe Jesus accepts love in any form between two adults, and would condone same-sex marriage. But then I guess I am a liberal (or false depending on who you ask) Christian when it comes to such things. :coffeepap:

Last edited:

Then there is all that Old Testament law. Throw in all those letters from Paul of Tarsus and there you go.

I agree with you. There is a lot of selective reading and outright hypocrisy when it comes to finger pointing at "unacceptable" sin.

IMO I believe Jesus accepts love in any form between two adults, and would condone same-sex marriage. But then I guess I am a liberal Christian when it comes to such things. :coffeepap:

In my opinion the law of the land shouldn't give too hoots what Jesus thought. It's all about should the government remove freedom from citizens, and why.

Well, you know...the Bible talks about Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve.

Then there is all that Old Testament law. Throw in Paul of Tarsus and there you go.

I agree with you. There is a lit of selective reading and outright hypocrisy when it comes to finger pointing at sin.

I personally believe Jesus accepts love in any form between two adults.

Personally, I think there was an Adam and Steve. But Adam was Republican so he married and had children with Eve to keep up appearances and secretly met up with Steve under the Tree of Knowledge to share in some forbidden fruit. ;)

In my opinion the law of the land shouldn't give too hoots what Jesus thought. It's all about should the government remove freedom from citizens, and why.

Ah, but you forget; the gooberment represents the people. If a majority of the people prefer hate to love...the gooberment follows suit.

That's why Federal law says one thing, but States keep trying to say another in their laws.

Sad but true. :(

Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples - ABC News
Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

Judge Rules MS Clerks Cannot Cite Religion to Abstain From Issuing Marriage Licenses

A federal judge has ruled that Mississippi clerks cannot cite their own religious beliefs to recuse themselves from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves' ruling on Monday blocks the state from enforcing part of a religious objections bill that was supposed to become law Friday.

Reeves is extending his previous order that overturned Mississippi's ban on same-sex marriage. He says circuit clerks are required to provide equal treatment for all couples, gay or straight. Mississippi's religious objections measure, House Bill 1523, was filed in response to last summer's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage nationwide…………..

Every American citizen deserves to be treated with decency and respect no matter what………no matter who they or what they believe.....
So why do we need a court to say what we all know should be?

A statement you clearly dont believe, seeing as the way you talk to those with opposing political viewpoints.

Ah, but you forget; the gooberment represents the people. If a majority of the people prefer hate to love...the gooberment follows suit.

That's why Federal law says one thing, but States keep trying to say another in their laws.

Sad but true. :(

I thought that was because of the 10th amendment, although it seems the federal govt has done all they can to nullify it.

Then there is all that Old Testament law. Throw in all those letters from Paul of Tarsus and there you go. :shrug:

IMO I believe Jesus accepts love in any form between two adults, and would condone same-sex marriage. But then I guess I am a liberal (or false depending on who you ask) Christian when it comes to such things. :coffeepap:

considering Jesus said marriage was between a man and a woman, You are just twisting religion to fit your own views. Jesus might support gay civil unions however.

considering Jesus said marriage was between a man and a woman, You are just twisting religion to fit your own views. Jesus might support gay civil unions however.

Actually, Jesus never spoke on same sex marriage and the text they usually use to refer to him saying marriage is between a man and a woman is an out of context segment from a conversation he was having about divorce. So...twisting religion to fit views...

A statement you clearly dont believe, seeing as the way you talk to those with opposing political viewpoints.

You know said what you have is condescending and out of bounds.......

You have no right to say I am a liar as you have......

Or think you have the audacity to think you know who I am and what I believe......

Didn't your mama teach you anything?

Actually, Jesus never spoke on same sex marriage and the text they usually use to refer to him saying marriage is between a man and a woman is an out of context segment from a conversation he was having about divorce. So...twisting religion to fit views...

Except Jesus was quoting God and God said marriage was between a man and a woman with no divorce context

Umm...that is not factually correct.

The reference used is always Matthew 19:3-7:

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
https://www.bible.com/bible/1/mat.19.kjv#!

The issue was only one of divorce from an existing marriage, the question being may a man put aside his wife.

Jesus was explaining that divorce was not acceptable, marriage is for life. How people have twisted this to mean marriage is ONLY between a man and a women...is a curious interpretation as far as I am concerned.

Where is the passage that He states same sex marriage is forbidden?

The issue was only one of divorce from an existing marriage, the question being may a man put aside his wife.

Jesus was explaining that divorce was not acceptable, marriage is for life. How people have twisted this to mean marriage is ONLY between a man and a women...is a curious interpretation as far as I am concerned.

If you were actually a Christian or had ever read the Bible you would know Jesus was quoting God from Genesis where there was no divorce context.

I never claimed that Jesus said it was forbidden

The leap in logic comes from when Jesus says:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

Which I don't put much stock in being his actual quote. More so it was a bit of clever writing on the part of the Clergy, So they can justify populace control laws and brutality meant to intimidate the masses who outnumbered them greatly. Promise Hell and all that.

They take it to mean the crap in Leviticus must be obeyed, which Leviticus, well I probably don't have to tell anyone about Leviticus. But I might add if you follow the logic that Jesus wants all Laws and Prophets obeyed, you have to consider Muhammed, an Abrahamic Prophet. And you can't cherry pick Leviticus. Well, most people can, I just think its hypocritical to do so.

That's why I follow his philosophy, rather than archaic laws that contradict that philosophy. The fact that I am an atheist, actually makes it easier to stick to it. Let's me ignore the parts I don't like, and not be afraid of burning for eternity. And for the Atheist friendly philosophy of Jesus, look here.

Of course having said this, I am going to be called out like 6 times to prove all of this. Which I will merely say, here is where I picked this bit of reasoning up. And all of this is wild speculation at every level, so its impossible to prove either way. It really really is.

And it is all moot, separation of Church and State, and No taxation without representation. The moment gays can't get civilly married, I will start a petition to start taking taxes. Oh so many taxes.

Keep your church off my government, and I'll keep the government out of your church.

[ThaTE=imyoda;1066013292]Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples - ABC News

So why do we need a court to say what we all know should be?[/QUOTE]

I guess we will just have to learn to live with a fluid Constitution and reliable protection of the citizens against the fickle whim of ****storm majorities.

Nota bene: it seems odd to see a mainstream word like ****storm edited as though it were an expletive like ****storm. It is especially humorous in a post commenting on the fleeting nature of sociopolitical mechanics.

Last edited:

I guess we will just have to learn to live with a fluid Constitution and reliable protection of the citizens against the fickle whim of ****storm majorities.

If that's the way you see it........I guess so

Here we go with this **** again.

Who gives a **** which god damned WORD is being used???? Can you explain to me the significance of this most sacred of words "marriage" and why it is worth the millions upon millions that have been spent trying to "defend" it?

Is your holy "Marriage" also between a previously married woman and a new man? Is your most highly sacred and annointed word "Marriage" permitted between people who "take many wives" as spoken of in the most sacred of all holy roller scripts "Da Holy Bible"??

I thought that was because of the 10th amendment, although it seems the federal govt has done all they can to nullify it.

The 10th doesn't say state law trumps federal law. Nor does it say the states can ignore the federal constitution. Further it doesn't permit states to lie about the reasons they create laws to restrict recognized protected actions.

Back dooring the law of our Republic- that's so gay... ;)

If you were actually a Christian or had ever read the Bible you would know Jesus was quoting God from Genesis where there was no divorce context.

Ah yes, we need to make an America based on the Old Testament, so why not just go all the way? Let's not just outlaw the gays. Let's kill the gays, and while we are at it, let's kill children who talk back to their elders, stone adulterous women to death, and force a woman to marry her rapist too.

Sheesh, such cherry picking. If we are going to embrace the Old Testament in our political arguments, then we need to embrace ALL of the Old Testament, not just those passages we pick out for the sake of convenience. After all, we don't want to fry forever in hell fire, do we? :mrgreen:

Ah yes, we need to make an America based on the Old Testament, so why not just go all the way? Let's not just outlaw the gays. Let's kill the gays, and while we are at it, let's kill children who talk back to their elders, stone adulterous women to death, and force a woman to marry her rapist too.
You forgot the commandment that you cant trim your beard and you have to break a pot before you go to the bathroom. ;)

Sheesh, such cherry picking. If we are going to embrace the Old Testament in our political arguments, then we need to embrace ALL of the Old Testament, not just those passages we pick out for the sake of convenience. After all, we don't want to fry forever in hell fire, do we? :mrgreen:

Well mr straw man just because I pointed out that Jesus's quote originated from God's word in the old testament does not mean I think the whole old testament should be taken in literal terms.

Look I get it, some catholic priest raped you were you were a boy that doesnt mean you need to hate all Christians.

There it is. If you were actually a Christian... :roll:

Funny how among Christians there are so many sects and denominations, each one claiming to know the truth, most established by "creative reading" of the Bible.

I consider myself a Christian, and I have read the Bible numerous times over the course of my lifetime. I've noted all the many conflicting points within it, and find it funny how so many Christians condemn other people for "cherry-picking" while doing the same thing themselves.

No. What you said was "considering Jesus said marriage was between a man and a woman, You are just twisting religion to fit your own views."

Essentially that marriage is forbidden to couples who do not fit this definition. Adding a caveat "he might accept civil unions" is disingenuous.

Back
Top Bottom