• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuin

Re: Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Is

Well mr straw man just because I pointed out that Jesus's quote originated from God's word in the old testament does not mean I think the whole old testament should be taken in literal terms.

Look I get it, some catholic priest raped you were you were a boy that doesnt mean you need to hate all Christians.

That last remark was uncalled for. And, BTW, I'm not taking the bait.

Re: Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Is

Well mr straw man just because I pointed out that Jesus's quote originated from God's word in the old testament does not mean I think the whole old testament should be taken in literal terms.

Look I get it, some catholic priest raped you were you were a boy that doesnt mean you need to hate all Christians.

Watch your mouth.

Ah, but you forget; the gooberment represents the people. If a majority of the people prefer hate to love...the gooberment follows suit.

That's why Federal law says one thing, but States keep trying to say another in their laws.

Sad but true. :(

No. The federal government is usually liberal. States less so. However, the Constitution, which liberals hate, is intended to protect the minority from the majority and to protect all of us from the government.

It really doesn't matter how many people vote to make even pretending to have a gun illegal, it will still be legal until the vote is for a new amendment to the Constitution.

I see a big difference between someone who has a private business and wishes to live by the dictates of their religion and someone who wants to work for the government and abide by the dictates of their religion.

B&H Photo is owned and operated by orthodox Jews. So, they are closed on the Sabbath and the holy days. Their customers know that. If they don't like it, they go do business with someone else. If the business loses some customers, that's the choice they've made.

But with a government job it's different. If the County Clerk is to issue the marriage license it's not like the couple can go to Chuck's Marriage License Service down the street. If you call for a police officer on Sunday morning it's not acceptable that he's in church and can't come.

I'm an atheist but I'm also opposed to the government mandating to private businesses that they violate their religious beliefs. The government should not be allowed to tell Christians they have to provide abortions nor be allowed to tell Muslims they have to serve pork in their restaurant.

Last edited:

Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples - ABC News
Federal Judge Rules Mississippi Clerks Cannot Cite Religious Beliefs to Refuse Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

Judge Rules MS Clerks Cannot Cite Religion to Abstain From Issuing Marriage Licenses

A federal judge has ruled that Mississippi clerks cannot cite their own religious beliefs to recuse themselves from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves' ruling on Monday blocks the state from enforcing part of a religious objections bill that was supposed to become law Friday.

Reeves is extending his previous order that overturned Mississippi's ban on same-sex marriage. He says circuit clerks are required to provide equal treatment for all couples, gay or straight. Mississippi's religious objections measure, House Bill 1523, was filed in response to last summer's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage nationwide…………..

Every American citizen deserves to be treated with decency and respect no matter what………no matter who they or what they believe.....
So why do we need a court to say what we all know should be?

Good.

We are NOT a theocracy, and the people who have this job have a set job description. They either do their jobs per the description, or quit, or get fired.

Except Jesus was quoting God and God said marriage was between a man and a woman with no divorce context

image.jpg

yeah they're pulling the kim davis card even a year after she was held in contempt. What, did they expect a different outcome? It never ceases to amaze me how far mississippi will go to oppress its minorities

maybe their politicians could actually fix the problems that make their state dead last in just about everything, instead of contributing to them! But then, that's why they've got the "leaders" they do - 198 years of hate and counting

If I remember it took years to fully implement Brown v. Board of Ed. It's the way things go. Always gonna be holdouts.

In his dissenting opinion in Obergefell, the late Justice Scalia quoted Alexander Hamilton from The Federalist for the proposition that the Supreme Court has no power to enforce its decisions and must depend on the Executive Branch to do that. But in between the quotation marks, Scalia pointedly added that the Court must also depend on the states for that. Obergefell is an arbitrary, illegitimate diktat by five lawyers that is not grounded in the Constitution and therefore deserves the respect of no one. I hope other officials in other states will decline to enforce it.

If I remember it took years to fully implement Brown v. Board of Ed. It's the way things go. Always gonna be holdouts.

Sometimes there should be holdouts. I think Obergefell should be treated the same way Abraham Lincoln several times called for the decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford to be treated--as binding on the parties to the case only, and not as a general rule all states are obliged to follow.

considering Jesus said marriage was between a man and a woman, You are just twisting religion to fit your own views. Jesus might support gay civil unions however.

Who cares what Jesus said? This is a secular issue in a secular state and a secular society. Jesus is irrelevant to the discussion.

Personally, I think there was an Adam and Steve. But Adam was Republican so he married and had children with Eve to keep up appearances and secretly met up with Steve under the Tree of Knowledge to share in some forbidden fruit. ;)

First there was Adam and Lilith but then she got mouthy with Adam and God threw her out of the garden. He then made the more subservient Eve for Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are a government employee, you have to perform the actions that are assigned to you that within your job.

I still find it interesting how similar the fight for same sex marriage and the fights now after its legal are to interracial marriage becoming legal throughout the US. Very similar cases popped up in the 70s after the Loving decision. In fact several clerks then claimed religious freedom to try to excuse themselves from having to issue licenses to interracial couples.

That last remark was uncalled for. And, BTW, I'm not taking the bait.

people dont display that much hated for a religion unless that religion has done something to them, you dont have to get all butthurt about it (or maybe you do :wink:)

funny you mention that, i was reading about a small town in MS just last month that finally was forced to desegregate. They built a dilapidated school on the black side (separated by the rail tracks) of town after 'Brown v Board' and declared that a separate district. There was no defensible educational or population reason for this, and of course, black families in the area have no chance of moving to the white side of town. The fed just now ordered them to enroll all the kids in the entire town at the better school

Except Jesus was quoting God and God said marriage was between a man and a woman with no divorce context

Not to mention the fact that Jesus is God.

Not exactly clear how plaintiffs have standing, perhaps it has something to do with this not being a new lawsuit but "tacked on" to one decided a couple of years ago? Guessing this was a strategy used by plaintiffs to get the judge they wanted (one of only two democrat appointees in the entire state).

Expect this will be kicked up to the fifth circuit, which should be interesting.

Lol. Yes, because we can't quote God out of context. To my knowledge, nobody asked God about same-sex marriage either.

Beefheart: "Every American citizen deserves to be treated with decency and respect no matter what………no matter who they or what they believe.....
So why do we need a court to say what we all know should be?"

Nonsense. I do not treat neo-nazis with any more decency and respect than they show to Jews. I do not treat pedophiles arguing for a change in the laws so 80-year olds can legally have sex with 13-year olds with decency and respect. I do not treat people who fight against the Constitutional guarantees such as free speech, property rights, and a right to due process with decency and respect. I try to be courteous but citizenship does not automatically give you a right to decency and respect.

I still find it interesting how similar the fight for same sex marriage and the fights now after its legal are to interracial marriage becoming legal throughout the US. Very similar cases popped up in the 70s after the Loving decision. In fact several clerks then claimed religious freedom to try to excuse themselves from having to issue licenses to interracial couples.

That was different because:

- Christians decided it was
- Interracial marriage is only banned for some in the Bible!
- Black people are people, gay people are not.

Obviously, John Cena 5:5.

Back
Top Bottom