• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal judge rules Kim Davis violated rights when she refused to marry same-sex couples in 2015

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

I have mixed feelings about this.
Why? Government officials do not have the right to discriminate against gays/lesbians when legally allowed marriages are concerned.

IIRC, CNN has something materially wrong in their article when they state that the couples asked for her to perform the civil service. I don't believe that is correct, they were attempting to get a civil marriage licenses after the Obergafel SCOTUS case decision, after the Governor had sent a letter explaining the decision to the clerks, and after consulting with the county attorney (who said she couldn't deny licenses to same-sex couples). The couples made repeated attempts between July and September to obtain a license and were denied either in person by Ms. Davis or by her staff under the direct orders of Ms. Davis. If that is incorrect, someone can post an earlier court ruling that indicates that, I would appreciate it. But this ruling notes that it was about not issuing the licenses.

I don't have an issue with a religious accommodation such that she didn't have to be the one issuing the civil license or performing the civil service as long as other staff were available, and that is the case. Where she screwed the pooch is at the point she ordered her staff not to do their jobs because of her religious beliefs. It became not about her beliefs and actions and more about denying the two couples in question access to civil marriage licenses.

WW

IIRC, CNN has something materially wrong in their article when they state that the couples asked for her to perform the civil service. I don't believe that is correct, they were attempting to get a civil marriage licenses after the Obergafel SCOTUS case decision, after the Governor had sent a letter explaining the decision to the clerks, and after consulting with the county attorney (who said she couldn't deny licenses to same-sex couples). The couples made repeated attempts between July and September to obtain a license and were denied either in person by Ms. Davis or by her staff under the direct orders of Ms. Davis. If that is incorrect, someone can post an earlier court ruling that indicates that, I would appreciate it. But this ruling notes that it was about not issuing the licenses.
That's how I remember it.
I don't have an issue with a religious accommodation such that she didn't have to be the one issuing the civil license or performing the civil service as long as other staff were available, and that is the case. Where she screwed the pooch is at the point she ordered her staff not to do their jobs because of her religious beliefs. It became not about her beliefs and actions and more about denying the two couples in question access to civil marriage licenses.

WW
Agreed. It seems so simple.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I really do not.

Marriage is a legal process that creates a legal entity: a married couple.

I don't understand why a same gender couple should not be allowed to have the same legal advantages and responsibilities accorded mixed gender couples.

If an employer has legal and/or ethical policies that contradict your personal religious beliefs/ethics...you can choose not to work there. Pretty simple. I've turned down jobs where I felt I would be morally compromised, or that I would not be able to do the job under those policies so I quit.

Good call by the judge.

If she wants to be a religious bigot to her customers at work, she should find a job at a church.

The irony that a woman married 4 times gets to pass judgement on gay marriage, based on her religious beliefs.

If an employer has legal and/or ethical policies that contradict your personal religious beliefs/ethics...you can choose not to work there. Pretty simple. I've turned down jobs where I felt I would be morally compromised, or that I would not be able to do the job under those policies so I quit.

^^ This. That's what I've said from the beginning. If you have a job that contradicts your beliefs, walk away.

WW
Yep. If the government doesn't get to enforce a specific set of religious beliefs on the public, then why the hell would Davis be entitled to?

The irony that a woman married 4 times gets to pass judgement on gay marriage, based on her religious beliefs.
And that's too often the rule for these sorts, not the exception.

"My fourth husband and I stand for the sanctity of marriage!"

Back
Top Bottom