• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal ID Card

Even when such a federal ID card is a direct violation of the US Constitution? Why am I not surprised that this would be the answer from the left? :rolleyes:

In what way do you think a federal ID card violates the constitution?

What are your thoughts regarding a Federal ID card?

Bad idea. However there is a state ID equivalent that is accepted as such. Look up "Real ID". I have one.

Bad idea. However there is a state ID equivalent that is accepted as such. Look up "Real ID". I have one.
‘Real ID” is a federal program. Each state administrates it, but it’s federally mandated.

‘Real ID” is a federal program. Each state administrates it, but it’s federally mandated.
It's federally mandated, however it is a state by state program. And all the feds are mandating is that the states offer it. It's not a requirement that every US adult gets one. All it amounts to is extra requirments verifying that you are who you say you are. If verified, you get a gold or yellow star on your drivers license or state ID card that the feds accept as positive ID.

It's federally mandated, however it is a state by state program. And all the feds are mandating is that the states offer it. It's not a requirement that every US adult gets one. All it amounts to is extra requirments verifying that you are who you say you are. If verified, you get a gold or yellow star on your drivers license or state ID card that the feds accept as positive ID.
???

I said it’s federally mandated, the states run it, I have one. So I know all this.

Was that for me or you spring boarding for others that might not know already? (If the latter, OK).

Yeah, but they adhere to federal rules and are somewhat standardized. States may issue IDs and Drivers licenses, but under the same rules. Functionally it's the same thing.
They are not "somewhat standardized" they ARE standardized. That was the whole purpose behind Article IV, Section 1, Clause 1 of the US Constitution. It is still the State issuing the driver's licenses, not the federal government. The federal government is merely ensuring that every State meets the same criteria.

Actually, that isn’t quite true.

Any of the states that participate in the federal “Real ID” drivers license program, which is mandatory by May 2025, your SS# is part of that. BTW, all states require it on the form you fill out to get and renew your DL so its already cross indexed in the system. It’s just not on your DL where you can see it.
No they do not require it. I just renewed my REAL ID driver's license last October. No Social Security number has even been included, and none has ever been requested. You are flat-out lying, and that is just pathetic.

Good post.

At one point, a long time ago, in one state I lived in the DL # was my SSN.

Actually in 1996 at least 29 States had as person's SSN on their DL.

There was a provision of the 1996 Immigration Reform Act that was to require all DL's to have a persons SSN, visually readable, on them by the year 2000.

That didn't happen, and in 2004 President Bush and Congress, with passed legislation, that he signed into law, made it illegal to have one's SSN on their DL's.

Thank goodness for that.
I've had driver's licenses from California, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Alaska since 1970, and not one of them ever included a Social Security Number. Why would a State include a number to a federal program? It makes absolutely no sense.

In what way do you think a federal ID card violates the constitution?
As I already pointed out, the federal government is confined to only those powers specifically granted to them by the US Constitution. Since the US Constitution never granted the federal government with the authority to issue identification merely for the purpose of identifying an individual the Tenth Amendment prohibits them from exercising that power. Naturally, nobody on the left recognizes the Tenth Amendment or any limits on the federal government, but it exists nonetheless.

They are not "somewhat standardized" they ARE standardized. That was the whole purpose behind Article IV, Section 1, Clause 1 of the US Constitution. It is still the State issuing the driver's licenses, not the federal government. The federal government is merely ensuring that every State meets the same criteria.
Yeah, so functionally it's not any different than some federal ID.

No they do not require it. I just renewed my REAL ID driver's license last October. No Social Security number has even been included, and none has ever been requested. You are flat-out lying, and that is just pathetic.

I’m not perfect but I ain’t lying. I just renewed mine and was very much asked my SS #. It’s my understanding it’s required. You don’t have to show it as ID but the number is asked for on the form. In this state it’s asked for one’s registration as well .

I’m going to double check when I get a chance. If I’ve made a mistake I will admit it.

And I’d never call anyone “pathetic”. It’s rude. Your aren’t a rude person on, are you?

I’m not perfect but I ain’t lying. I just renewed mine and was very much asked my SS #. It’s my understanding it’s required. You don’t have to show it as ID but the number is asked for on the form. In this state it’s asked for one’s registration as well .

I’m going to double check when I get a chance. If I’ve made a mistake I will admit it.

And I’d never call anyone “pathetic”. It’s rude. Your aren’t a rude person on, are you?
Sorry, I'm not buying into your deliberate lies for a second. States do not require federal identification numbers anywhere on their State driver's licenses, and they never have. You just can't help but lie, can you? That is truly pathetic, but expected from your kind. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm not buying into your deliberate lies for a second. States do not require federal identification numbers anywhere on their State driver's licenses, and they never have. You just can't help but lie, can you? That is truly pathetic, but expected from your kind. :rolleyes:
“My kind”? You’ve never met me and all you know of me is a few lines on a web forum. That’s a tad small minded of you. Even with you behavior I’ve been witness to here I’d never presume to know you to where I could make a value judgement like that about you or assign you to “a kind”.

Wow. {LOL}

You have a great day now. :cool:

“My kind”? You’ve never met me and all you know of me is a few lines on a web forum. That’s a tad small minded of you. Even with you behavior I’ve been witness to here I’d never presume to know you to where I could make a value judgement like that about you or assign you to “a kind”.

Wow. {LOL}

You have a great day now. :cool:
Oh please, spare us your leftist hypocrisy. It is no secret that everyone on the left considers all those who disagree with them to be "racist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, misogynistic, white supremacist, semi-fascist, and basket of deplorables." The left are also notorious for being habitual liars, and I called you out on those deliberate lies. So don't try to pretend that you are offended for being called out for what you are, all you are doing is showing how big of a hypocrite you truly are. The left are defined by their hypocrisy, as you so amply demonstrate.

Oh please, spare us your leftist hypocrisy. It is no secret that everyone on the left considers all those who disagree with them to be "racist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, misogynistic, white supremacist, semi-fascist, and basket of deplorables." The left are also notorious for being habitual liars, and I called you out on those deliberate lies. So don't try to pretend that you are offended for being called out for what you are, all you are doing is showing how big of a hypocrite you truly are. The left are defined by their hypocrisy, as you so amply demonstrate.

I’m not offended. I was a NYC metro area police officer and detective for 25 years. New Yorkers, the best at it in the world, have tried to offend me. I’ve been spit on, had garbage thrown on me, called the most vulgar things, had vile remarks made of my parentage, etc., etc., etc. I am immune. No reaction. I won’t give the person attempting it the satisfaction. My skin is elephant hide thick.

I simply see attempts to belittle, not just me but anyone, as sad and a bit pathetic so it’s not about me. That behavior, it’s about them. They only offend themselves in the doing. So I have no reason to be offended.

For the record: I’m not a “lefty”. As a young man I was a professional campaign communications worker, later manager, for REPUBLICANS. I was a regular ‘Alex P. Keaton” back then. I helped more than a few get elected to local, county and even statewide office. When I got up a few ladder rungs and saw how corrupt it all is, I decided that if I was going to do public work for a living I’d be better off arresting criminals than helping them get elected. So I switched careers to law enforcement.

Now you know a little bit (a very little bit) about me. Fire at will. I promise, I won’t get offended. :cool:

I never said ON their drivers license. I said it was required, and recorded, to get one. I looked at drivers licenses from every state, and more than a few foreign countries, on my job for 25 years. I know what’s on them.

Now, giving you the benefit of the doubt here, I’m not going back looking but you’ll note many typos on my posts from having old, tired, hands typing on an iPhobe keyboard (on for in, if for of, or for of, stuff like that, so if that’s the issue the language around it should have been more than sufficient to get the actual meaning across.

I checked, like I said I would: https://mymvc.state.nj.us/license-renewal/

You will need the following items to start the License Renewal process:

• A valid Drivers License Number
  • A valid Social Security Number
  • Access to a printer (needed if you want to print an interim license and/or a receipt)
  • A valid email address
  • A valid credit card

There you will note it very clearly states that one of the things required is a valid Social Security number .

BTW, here is the link for Alaska form 478, drivers license renewal, where one can clearly see that a social security number is asked for, and recorded, in the renewal application.

I’ll accept your apology whenever you decide to give it (but I shan’t hold my breath waiting).

Last edited:
So again: As far as I know every state does, and one’s social security number is recorded when you get or renew your DL, and is this permanently linked to your drivers license in the system. Which was my initial point. Not however it got to being on drivers licenses. (Never what I said).

Sorry, I'm not buying into your deliberate lies for a second. States do not require federal identification numbers anywhere on their State driver's licenses, and they never have.
Ohio required them on DL's until January 31'st 2002

Actually, that isn’t quite true.

Any of the states that participate in the federal “Real ID” drivers license program, which is mandatory by May 2025, your SS# is part of that. BTW, all states require it on the form you fill out to get and renew your DL so its already cross indexed in the system. It’s just not on your DL where you can see it.

I'm a bit stubborn so, to prove my point that I ain't a liar I went back and checked. :D

That is what I said of drivers licenses, that it is part of the process, and it is. It is required in the state I am in (as I showed in the link to the form), it is required in Alaska, right there on form 478 that someone renewing their license in October would have had to fill out if that is the state they reside in [its the state given as their location right under their avatar ] but I am not going to call that person a liar. I just think they forgot and therefore mistaken.

I never claimed it was ON the driver's license, and I can't fathom how it was interpreted that I had. It is required to give ones Social Security number when filling out the info on the form to initiate or renew and permanently linked in the system to one's drivers license. Anyone with full access to that system can get your SS# by accessing your DL record. As far as I know it is the same in ALL states.

I hope that cleared that up. {sheesh} :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom