• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal Gov't Halts Sand Berm Dredging

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
NEW ORLEANS -- The federal government is shutting down the dredging that was being done to create protective sand berms in the Gulf of Mexico.
The berms are meant to protect the Louisiana coastline from oil. But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department has concerns about where the dredging is being done.
Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser, who was one of the most vocal advocates of the dredging plan, has sent a letter to President Barack Obama, pleading for the work to continue.
Nungesser said the government has asked crews to move the dredging site two more miles farther off the coastline.
"Once again, our government resource agencies, which are intended to protect us, are now leaving us vulnerable to the destruction of our coastline and marshes by the impending oil," Nungesser wrote to Obama. "Furthermore, with the threat of hurricanes or tropical storms, we are being put at an increased risk for devastation to our area from the intrusion of oil.
Nungesser has asked for the dredging to continue for the next seven days, the amount of time it would take to move the dredging operations two miles and out resume work.

Federal Gov't Halts Sand Berm Dredging - New Orleans News Story - WDSU New Orleans

Enviro-wackos strike again.

Mega-thanks to megaprogman

Wait... no, the title didn't change??

Last edited:
You can fix your title by going advanced when you edit it.

Just tried it. I did this:

1. Posted a thread titles test
2. Clicked on Edit Post
3. Clicked on Go Advanced
4. Changed title to test 1 2 3. (The title field is above the post textbox and below the reason for editing textbox)

It worked for me.

Last edited:
I think it's time Jindal over rides the Federal Government and does what is necessary for his state. This is one of those times when a governor should have the balls to tell the Fed to go pound sand, and do what's necessary. Let them sue him or bring charges after the berms are in place.

Just tried it. I did this:

1. Posted a thread titles test
2. Clicked on Edit Post
3. Clicked on Go Advanced
4. Changed title to test 1 2 3. (The title field is above the post textbox and below the reason for editing textbox)

It worked for me.
Well... I couldn't find success, thank you for trying though. Now ON WITH THE TOPIC!

I think it's time Jindal over rides the Federal Government and does what is necessary for his state. This is one of those times when a governor should have the balls to tell the Fed to go pound sand, and do what's necessary. Let them sue him or bring charges after the berms are in place.

Actually... shouldn't he tell the Fed's LA. is going to poind sand no matter what they say?

Actually... shouldn't he tell the Fed's LA. is going to poind sand no matter what they say?

Good point.

Jindal: We're going to continue the berms.
Fed: Ok
Jindal: Oppressive bastards! Eff you!
Fed: Yes it is! HAHA!

Everyone wins!

I believe it significant that the Governor of every southern state that may or will be impacted by this Oil spil, was elected as a Republican Governor.
In my opinion Obama is playing Politics which considering the enormous impact this spill will have on, not only the US, but also other Nations bordering the Gulf, is disgusting.
Every time someone comes up with an idea to mitigate the damage, up pops some person from within the Federal Administration to put a clamp on the idea.

I believe it significant that the Governor of every southern state that may or will be impacted by this Oil spil, was elected as a Republican Governor.
In my opinion Obama is playing Politics which considering the enormous impact this spill will have on, not only the US, but also other Nations bordering the Gulf, is disgusting.
Every time someone comes up with an idea to mitigate the damage, up pops some person from within the Federal Administration to put a clamp on the idea.

Never let a crisis go to waste..... Hmmmmmmm, who said that?

Anyway, just pass cap and trade…… then Barry will fix the oil spill.

The governors should tell the Fed to **** off, and send down the Army if they think they can stop it. Dredge, baby, dredge!!!!

You guys do understand the potential dangers of the dredging and sand berms could outweigh the dangers of the oil getting to shore, right?

You guys do understand the potential dangers of the dredging and sand berms could outweigh the dangers of the oil getting to shore, right?

No..... care to point out those dangers?

More snail darters in the way again? :lamo

Obviously you should straightaway write to Gov. Jindel and warn him of these dangers!

No..... care to point out those dangers?

More snail darters in the way again? :lamo

Aside from the massive cost, the question of whether or not it would even WORK, if they could even be done in time (oil is already hitting the coasts and the project would take 6 months or more), the potential for erosion in merely a couple of months, and the question of where the hell they're going to get 56 million cubic yards of high quality sand withOUT deepening waterways that would increase hurricane intensity and without destroying entire habitats of bottom dwelling creatures necessary to sustain countless other wildlife.... one must also consider that the sand berms will disrupt the tidal flow necessary to sustain the very wildlife and habitats they are trying to save. Not to mention the possibility that narrowing those tidal channels could cause the oil to shoot further inland than it would if the berms were not built and then possibly trap the oil there. When you restrict the area in which water is flowing, you increase the force of the flow.

There's just more to consider than sand and oil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom