• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal government posts a $158 million surplus.

Juiposa

is totally not a robot.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Ottawa turns a $158M surplus in June, but cites timing - Business - CBC News

The federal government says it posted a small budgetary surplus of $158 million in June, a far stronger fiscal result than last June's $1 billion deficit.
But the Finance Department took care to caution Canadians that the rare black ink does not signal a major turning point in the government's struggle to eliminate the deficit.

Despite the warning not to get our hopes up, does this show that Flaherty might actually be able to keep his 'balanced by 2015' promise? If the Feds are posting surpluses, no matter how small or coincidental, I have hope for a balanced budget.

Thoughts?

PS Credit to Flaherty, he was always one of the few of Harper's cabinet I did not hate.

Good now all he has to do is disclose what he cut. I wonder how much more we could save it they didn't spend money advertising their not yet approved job training program or pay for the senate.

Good now all he has to do is disclose what he cut. I wonder how much more we could save it they didn't spend money advertising their not yet approved job training program or pay for the senate.

Obviously there are issues and items that need criticizing in our government(s), and I do so rather frequently with letters to them. What we say here may be of some minor interest but with no effect. I encourage discourse here, but, you would do well to write your governments.
I don't think the Senate pay is on Harpers head. I bless the day the Wallin-Duffy-et al fiasco started, brought the issue to the forefront.

Back
Top Bottom