• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal government cuts fire prevention budget.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At a time when most of the Western USA is in the midst of a drought, and when 19 firefighters just lost their lives fighting a wildfire, the federal government, ever the champion of fiscal austerity and common sense, has decided to spend less on fire prevention.

Just thought you'd like to know where the spending priorities are .

[h=1]Federal Government Spends Less And Less On Fire Prevention Program As Wildfires Continue To Rage[/h]
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — As the West battles one catastrophic wildfire after another, the federal government is spending less and less on its main program for preventing blazes in the first place.
A combination of government austerity and the ballooning cost of battling the ruinous fires has taken a bite out of federal efforts to remove the dead trees and flammable underbrush that clog Western forests. The U.S. Forest Service says that next year it expects to treat 1 million fewer acres than it did last year.

and what is the justification for making these cuts?
I'm going to just guess it's related to the constant budget cuts that seem to allowed to bite into everything EXCEPT the MIC.

and what is the justification for making these cuts?

If they're going to cut the budget, then it has to be done in the most damaging way possible. That way, when there is a cry for more taxes, the voters will be able to see how devastating the cuts are, and are more likely to support them. Cut back on something no one cares about, and people are OK with it. Cut back on something that really matters, and people are hurt by it. That was the same strategy that was used for the so called "sequester." No Blue Angels or White House tours for you! Subsidies? fighter jets for Egypt? Why, sure, can't cut things like that.

If they're going to cut the budget, then it has to be done in the most damaging way possible. That way, when there is a cry for more taxes, the voters will be able to see how devastating the cuts are, and are more likely to support them. Cut back on something no one cares about, and people are OK with it. Cut back on something that really matters, and people are hurt by it. That was the same strategy that was used for the so called "sequester." No Blue Angels or White House tours for you! Subsidies? fighter jets for Egypt? Why, sure, can't cut things like that.
A very true statement my friend. This is exactly why our country is going down the drain. Everything is done for political expediency.

Fire prevention in the national forests, national parks, and BLM lands is a state matter? Why is that?

I guess what I meant is that fire prevention should be a state matter. Why couldn't the states take care of the national forests and parks? Why does everything have to be a federal matter? Seems we're inching closer and closer to that all-encompassing totalitarian type of rule. States are secondary entities now.

Here's my problem with federal encroachment... Name one thing that the federal government does efficiently. Just one. One thing that they do efficiently, that doesn't bloat into a massive money pit of disaster.

I guess what I meant is that fire prevention should be a state matter. Why couldn't the states take care of the national forests and parks? Why does everything have to be a federal matter? Seems we're inching closer and closer to that all-encompassing totalitarian type of rule. States are secondary entities now.

Here's my problem with federal encroachment... Name one thing that the federal government does efficiently. Just one. One thing that they do efficiently, that doesn't bloat into a massive money pit of disaster.

That's a kind of tough one.
But, any entity that gets really big, either private or public sector, tends to have the same problem with efficiency.
and the idea of giving federal lands away to the states is a tough sell, probably because it could potentially be a disaster.

The politicians are like fourth graders. Any decent manager would accept necessary cuts and plan out an implementation that would have the least effect. Naturally, the children of the political world do the opposite. We get what we vote for.

Back
Top Bottom