• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal employees turn to food banks to feed their families during shutdown

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Federal employees turn to food banks to feed their families during shutdown

government-shutdown-food-banks-federal-employees-charity-missed-pay.jpg

1/17/19
Adrienne Walker, a TSA employee in Atlanta, said her pantry is stocked, even though she has been working without pay during the partial government shutdown. But she knows her colleagues with children need groceries more than she does. Walker hoped the box of produce, canned goods and other groceries she left a Georgia food pantry with on Wednesday would help fellow employees at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Walker, a board member of the union representing Georgia's TSA employees, said she was willing to give employees rides to the food pantry in Conyers. With the shutdown in its fourth week, furloughed federal employees struggling to cope with life without a paycheck are turning to food banks and food pantries to feed their families, according to several organizations across the country. Calls from anxious workers have poured into agencies, and some of them are bracing for what they expect will be an increased demand for food at a time when donations are typically low. Some organizations are already seeing a spike. Over the past two weeks, more than 280 federal employees have used a food bank that Catholic Community Services of Northern Utah operates, which is a 50% increase over the 566 regular clients who used services during that time, according to the organization's director, Maresha Bosgieter.

From large to small efforts, others have also stepped up to feed employees affected by the shutdown. Restaurants across the country fed government employees last week. This week, renowned chef José Andrés opened a pop-up kitchen in the nation's capitol to feed federal employees and contractors, CNN affiliate WJLA reported. Andrés and his nonprofit served millions of free meals after natural disasters, including Hurricane Maria and the California wildfires. The Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, which distributes millions of food and groceries every year to more than 900 soup kitchens, shelters and food pantries, started a federal shutdown food assistance program to serve 25,000 federal employees, according to Feeding America, a hunger relief organization. Kraft said it planned to open a pop-up grocery store in Washington DC on Wednesday to support a program aimed at helping federal workers during the shutdown.
At some food pantries, furloughed workers have left with more than just food, but direction and peace.

Damned shame the extensive damage Donald Trump is doing to this great country.

Related: Government Shutdown: Unpaid Federal Workers Are Now Turning to Food Banks to Feed Families

Just one more reason that Nancy should not go on an extended trip. She need to be here to
get the 5.5 billion for physical barriers on our Southern borders! Protect America and it's citizens.
Thanks Mr. President for canceling a wasteful trip.

Trump is at fault for this. He has no right to let these people / american citizens loose their homes or not eat because he wants to force the united states to pay for a wall he said mexico would pay for hundreds of times in his speeches. Why did he get it built after having complete control with the republican senate/house and white house for 2 years. why he wait until the dems got control of the house. The dems are not the blame for this shutdown those are the facts ... i know you people think trump is a king or a god but that does not make him right!!!

Really!!! Trump said mexico would pay for it what changed!!! i think we should pay 5.5 billion for prescription drug addiction over 200 white people dying every day ...You know Dead is Dead no matter how it happened!!! // aint nothing happening or people getting killed at the border like that boss!!!

Trump is at fault for this. He has no right to let these people / american citizens loose their homes or not eat because he wants to force the united states to pay for a wall he said mexico would pay for hundreds of times in his speeches. Why did he get it built after having complete control with the republican senate/house and white house for 2 years. why he wait until the dems got control of the house. The dems are not the blame for this shutdown those are the facts ... i know you people think trump is a king or a god but that does not make him right!!!

Tell me one person, just one person who has lost their home because of the shut down

Just 1.

Last edited:
Nancy doesn't care. She's just pissed she can't get the taxpayers to pay for her 7-day international vacation.
The more they dig in the more its gonna sting

The caravans are coming

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just one more reason that Nancy should not go on an extended trip. She need to be here to
get the 5.5 billion for physical barriers on our Southern borders! Protect America and it's citizens.
Thanks Mr. President for canceling a wasteful trip.
I'm amazed at how blind the Democrats are to the blood bath that's coming

You people weren't this hyped up when Obama shut down drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. None of you gave a **** that those folks couldn't pay their bills.

What'd Bill Mahr say? "**** your jobs"?

Nancy doesn't care. She's just pissed she can't get the taxpayers to pay for her 7-day international vacation.

Just so Americans don't forget who owns this shutdown.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

Maybe Pelosi should just end it then

Isn't her shutdown. Donnie took ownership in front of the cameras.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

She can't end anything when McConnell won't allow a Senate vote.

Nonsense. McConnell will put a bill from her on the floor if it is something the president will sign. If Pelosi and Trump sat in a room together and came up with a compromise they could both live with, McConnell would hold a vote. Pelosi can end this tomorrow. She doesnt want to.

The President said that he would be glad to own the shut down.

Why are people working really hard to take the blame that he wanted away from him?

Nonsense. McConnell will put a bill from her on the floor if it is something the president will sign.

McConnell (and Trump) are afraid the Senate will vote to reopen government.

That's why he won't allow a vote on any funding bills.

Without McConnell's open duplicity in protecting Trump, 800,000+ government worker-hostages go back to work.

McConnell (and Trump) are afraid the Senate will vote to reopen government.

That's why he won't allow a vote on any funding bills.

Without McConnell's open duplicity in protecting Trump, 800,000+ government worker-hostages go back to work.

That doesnt alter the fact that Pelosi can end this tomorrow if she wanted.

That doesnt alter the fact that Pelosi can end this tomorrow if she wanted.

That 2018 House Blue Wave was not elected to cave into Trumps demand for his vanity wall. Let Trump collect his $5.6 billion from Mexico City.

Hey, elections have consequences. That's what you Trumpers have told me for two years.

I'm amazed at how blind the Democrats are to the blood bath that's coming

Yep. The democrats vastly overplayed their hand regarding the Kavanaugh nomination and likely failed to gain control of the US Senate because of that. They are now vastly overplaying their hand in regards to the shutdown over border wall funding. Their problem is that they are so used to republicans caving on any and every issue in fear if democrats even utter the words: "government shutdown". They did not exepct a fight.

You people weren't this hyped up when Obama shut down drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. None of you gave a **** that those folks couldn't pay their bills.

What'd Bill Mahr say? "**** your jobs"?

They were also okay with Hillary's talk of putting coal miners out of business.

Back
Top Bottom