• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal employees turn to food banks to feed their families during shutdown

Just one more reason that Nancy should not go on an extended trip. She need to be here to
get the 5.5 billion for physical barriers on our Southern borders! Protect America and it's citizens.
Thanks Mr. President for canceling a wasteful trip.

How much did Melanias two AF One trips cost the tax payer since the shutdown ?

Shameful the first lady failed to use the Trump jet instead of goverment funded travel.

Pelosi has painted herself into a corner with her ridiculous assertion that physical barriers on the border are (now suddenly?) "immoral". Trump (and thus McConnell) will not accept added grass mowing, ring doorbell installation or aerial surveillance as a "high tech" substitute for placing additional physical barriers along (220 miles of?) the border. Adding $5B to the deficit is a small price to pay to keep the bloated federal government functioning but comes at the huge political cost (to demorats) of allowing Trump to claim that he has kept a major campaign promise.

You must have missed all those polls showing who America blames for this shutdown. Did you see the polls were Pelosis approval rating has climbed? Try to turn off Fake News, the Pres. said he would buy it, and boy the polls agree:2wave:

You must have missed all those polls showing who America blames for this shutdown. Did you see the polls were Pelosis approval rating has climbed? Try to turn off Fake News, the Pres. said he would buy it, and boy the polls agree:2wave:

Pelosi's approval rating makes no difference to me and neither does Trump's. I would never vote for either of them.

Excuses. A year is more than enough time. But people have priorities. Like a cell phone, and internet and cable and a car.

Besides he chose to join the CG. I seriously could not care less about what happens to those unconstitutional assholes. Sink every boat.

He has spent the past few months buying furniture, since he moved in with nothing.

This past weekend he was out on the water in the Gulf of Maine during the large storm that hit the Northeast.

Your empathy for him working without pay, serving the country, is noted.

Pelosi's approval rating makes no difference to me and neither does Trump's. I would never vote for either of them.

You missed the point, as long as Trump keeps buying the shutdown the onus is on him. He created the situation.

You missed the point, as long as Trump keeps buying the shutdown the onus is on him. He created the situation.

Fine, but so far he has not had to veto anything - sooner or later folks will wonder (and my figure out) why that is so.

Fine, but so far he has not had to veto anything - sooner or later folks will wonder (and my figure out) why that is so.

Because McConnell is protecting him is why.

True, yet they both won election in that state so the distinction is blurry, at best.

They are state Senators. McConnell's first responsibility is to the people of Kentucky who sent him to Washington decades ago.

McConnell was been a Kentucky state Senator since Trump first started visiting Russia in 1985.

They are state Senators. McConnell's first responsibility is to the people of Kentucky who sent him to Washington decades ago.

McConnell was been a Kentucky state Senator since Trump first started visiting Russia in 1985.

Even more indication that the folks in his state approved of his actions.

Even more indication that the folks in his state approved of his actions.

But he is only 1 of 50. Let everyone else also represent their constituents.

He was elected Senate majority leader - we do not have 50 of them.

Majority Leader is synonymous with Dictator? The Constitution says nothing about a quarantine on pending legislation.

This is precisely why the funding impasse has existed for over 32 days.

Some folks think it is okay that Congress is also held hostage to the whims of the Executive.

Majority Leader is synonymous with Dictator? The Constitution says nothing about a quarantine on pending legislation.

Exactly, but the Constitution does allow the Senate to make its own procedural rules (with a few notable exceptions).

Exactly, but the Constitution does allow the Senate to make its own procedural rules (with a few notable exceptions).

So, let me see if I understand this. You're okay with one man, McConnell, deciding on what gets voted on in the US Senate?

If McConnell doesn't like an infrastructure bill or the next farm bill, he alone can decide to deep-six such legislation. You're okay with that?

Federal employees turn to food banks to feed their families during shutdown

government-shutdown-food-banks-federal-employees-charity-missed-pay.jpg

Damned shame the extensive damage Donald Trump is doing to this great country.

Related: Government Shutdown: Unpaid Federal Workers Are Now Turning to Food Banks to Feed Families

This is utterly sad. Conservatives don't care though. They are incapable of it. They lack the empathy gene.

So, let me see if I understand this. You're okay with one man, McConnell, deciding on what gets voted on in the US Senate?

If McConnell doesn't like an infrastructure bill or the next farm bill, he alone can decide to deep-six such legislation. You're okay with that?

I don't find it to be a great political strategy (tactic?) but it has been used for many decades. When Pelosi blurted out that funding for physical barriers on the border had become "immoral", and declared that position to be non-negotiable even if the "shutdown" was ended, that sent a very clear message, to all concerned, that compromise was going to be very difficult - time to dig in and hold fast was virtually required at that point.

I don't find it to be a great political strategy (tactic?) but it has been used for many decades. When Pelosi blurted out that funding for physical barriers on the border had become "immoral", and declared that position to be non-negotiable even if the "shutdown" was ended, that sent a very clear message, to all concerned, that compromise was going to be very difficult - time to dig in and hold fast was virtually required at that point.

Pelosi has the polling numbers and has the upper hand. Whatever. Trump and McConnell own this shutdown.

Pelosi has the polling numbers and has the upper hand. Whatever. Trump and McConnell own this shutdown.

Whatever makes you happy is fine by me. So long as neither side of funding (part of) the Great Wall Of Trump feud will compromise then the shutdown is apt to continue.

Back
Top Bottom