• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal decriminalization of marijuana bill

Decades and decades of drug prohibition is yet another solid argument as to why government is an unmitigated disaster. Now we're supposed to be grateful that these turds are "talking" about legalizing an innocuous plant. Of course any legalization scheme will include punitive taxes and a phone book full of regulations designed to crowd out small growers.

Naturally we also don't talk about the millions of lives ruined by the drug war over the last 50 years. Oh well, ain't democracy grand?

I totally agree with you here. I wish they would just legalize all drugs and focus on treatment and prevention.

In at least WA St, people can grow a certain number of plants for their own use.

Similar I guess to people being able to brew their own beer, for example.

Same in Colorado. I think most legal states have that option, but I think Nevada's was weird - you had to live a certain number of miles away from a dispensary in order to be able to grown your own. That may have changed.

Marijuana should probably be decriminalized, but I'm not a user anymore. It makes me too stupid and lazy.

Decades and decades of drug prohibition is yet another solid argument as to why government is an unmitigated disaster. Now we're supposed to be grateful that these turds are "talking" about legalizing an innocuous plant. Of course any legalization scheme will include punitive taxes and a phone book full of regulations designed to crowd out small growers.

Naturally we also don't talk about the millions of lives ruined by the drug war over the last 50 years. Oh well, ain't democracy grand?
I would not call it an "innocuous plant." Smoking pot caused a psychotic break in a good friend's son. As legalization is spreading, so are these cases.

All of the pot smokers in the whole country are so happy today because of what the Congress did, sad that they don't realize that the Senate will never pass it.

This is going in a good direction and I wish it the best of luck.

But dont loose sight that employers will still be able to set policies on screening and banning the use of legal substances like they currently do for tobacco.

It may be legal but if you want a certian type of job no tokey tokey for you.

I would not call it an "innocuous plant." Smoking pot caused a psychotic break in a good friend's son. As legalization is spreading, so are these cases.

How old is their son? I don't thing anyone believes that kids should have access to weed, regardless of how innocuous we find it for adults. That article seemed to suggest that psychosis is already there, just exacerbated by the weed and brought out sooner?

And this - Cannabis exposure may be a “component cause” which interacts with other factors that may be a possible cause of schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders, but is neither necessary nor sufficient to do so alone. is from this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927252/

How old is their son? I don't thing anyone believes that kids should have access to weed, regardless of how innocuous we find it for adults. That article seemed to suggest that psychosis is already there, just exacerbated by the weed and brought out sooner?
17. They think it is probably a trigger. And it happens much more often with boys. The cops have literally had to be called out to the house twice now and he was involuntarily committed. After he was released the first time he stopped taking his prescribed meds and started smoking again to self medicate. Horrible situation.

17. They think it is probably a trigger. And it happens much more often with boys. The cops have literally had to be called out to the house twice now and he was involuntarily committed. After he was released the first time he stopped taking his prescribed meds and started smoking again to self medicate. Horrible situation.

That is horrible, and I hope he gets better. And I have to ask......couldn't going off his medication have been a trigger as well?

Last edited:
That's a great step in the right direction but IMO there's little chance the Senate will follow suit.
Tell the GOP in the Senate how much moolah there is in taxing the dog out of marijuana sales (and possibly growers), and they'd probably change their minds.

I read somewhere that Illinois could see $1 Billion from Mary J sales this year.

That is horrible, and I hope he gets better.
He's been OK for two years now. Thank goodness. We've had two other people we know with bipolar boys. The real tricky part is getting the medications right. With their body chemistry changing virtually on a daily basis, that is really hard to do.

Tell the GOP in the Senate how much moolah there is in taxing the dog out of marijuana sales (and possibly growers), and they'd probably change their minds.

I read somewhere that Illinois could see $1 Billion from Mary J sales this year.

Colorado had just over a billion from taxes last year, and we don't have nearly the population of IL.

He's been OK for two years now. Thank goodness. We've had two other people we know with bipolar boys. The real tricky part is getting the medications right. With their body chemistry changing virtually on a daily basis, that is really hard to do.

Glad to hear he's doing better. Odd that it seems to happen more with boys.

Republicans will probably block it in the Senate. When it does eventually pass, it needs to include language that prevents backwards teabilly states from continuing to ban it.
i am an - almost lifetime - proponent of decriminalization of cannabis
but the states should still be able to oppose it
much like some counties in my state - which is one of the 14 with rigid weed prohibitions - still outlaw the sale of alcohol
now, they tend to be the counties without much development or future prospects, but they should be able to prevent the sale of those items they find to be unsafe for local consumption; the exception being firearms - because of 2a

Colorado had just over a billion from taxes last year, and we don't have nearly the population of IL.
Coloradoans want to live the real Rocky Mountain High :p

All they have to do is look at the revenue in WA St and CO. They're smart enough to do that, right? (I'm really not sure anymore)

Geez, now we're gonna have marijuana junkies overdosing on bong injections all over the nation.

i am an - almost lifetime - proponent of decriminalization of cannabis
but the states should still be able to oppose it
much like some counties in my state - which is one of the 14 with rigid weed prohibitions - still outlaw the sale of alcohol
now, they tend to be the counties without much development or future prospects, but they should be able to prevent the sale of those items they find to be unsafe for local consumption; the exception being firearms - because of 2a

i don't trust tea party state governments to make the right call. the decision needs to be removed from their hands. zero people should be prosecuted for pot possession nationwide.

It has always been a question of WHEN conservatives would finally come around, not if.
And WHY...
Well the "WHY" has been answered.

Conservatives smell both public approval, and more important to them, MONEY...big money.
It's always about money. Things that don't smell like money doesn't go anywhere. Especially money going directly into the pockets of Congressmen.

Back
Top Bottom