• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Federal decriminalization of marijuana bill

It has always been a question of WHEN conservatives would finally come around, not if.
And WHY...
Well the "WHY" has been answered.

Conservatives smell both public approval, and more important to them, MONEY...big money.

Decades and decades of drug prohibition is yet another solid argument as to why government is an unmitigated disaster. Now we're supposed to be grateful that these turds are "talking" about legalizing an innocuous plant. Of course any legalization scheme will include punitive taxes and a phone book full of regulations designed to crowd out small growers.

Naturally we also don't talk about the millions of lives ruined by the drug war over the last 50 years. Oh well, ain't democracy grand?

Well, short of removing weed from the list of scheduled drugs, this is something. However I don't trust McConnell, despite what he said.

Well, short of removing weed from the list of scheduled drugs, this is something. However I don't trust McConnell, despite what he said.
I don’t think they can decriminalize it without re classifying it. (Not 100% sure of that but I think federal drug sentencing is tied in part to what schedule the drug is on).

Interestingly the UN reclassified marijuana - at least for medical use - a couple days ago.

I don’t think they can decriminalize it without re classifying it. (Not 100% sure of that but I think federal drug sentencing is tied in part to what schedule the drug is on).

Interestingly the UN reclassified marijuana - at least for medical use - a couple days ago.

Oh that would be great then, if they have to reclassify. And yes the UN is slowly moving in the right direction. Ridiculous that its taken this long though.

Republicans will probably block it in the Senate. When it does eventually pass, it needs to include language that prevents backwards teabilly states from continuing to ban it.

Decades and decades of drug prohibition is yet another solid argument as to why government is an unmitigated disaster. Now we're supposed to be grateful that these turds are "talking" about legalizing an innocuous plant. Of course any legalization scheme will include punitive taxes and a phone book full of regulations designed to crowd out small growers.

Naturally we also don't talk about the millions of lives ruined by the drug war over the last 50 years. Oh well, ain't democracy grand?
Some good points.

Would a government-free "America" be your solution?

It has always been a question of WHEN conservatives would finally come around, not if.
And WHY...

Conservatives smell both public approval, and more important to them, MONEY...big money.
Oh, there's tons of money to be had. I'm sure some of their buddies will turn out well from something like this.

Republicans will probably block it in the Senate. When it does eventually pass, it needs to include language that prevents backwards teabilly states from continuing to ban it.
I think the States can make up their own mind on this issue. If a State wants to keep marijuana banned, they can. But there's lots of tax dollars to be had from it.

Not sure how they could do that unless they incorporate some of their legislative “jazz hands” language like they did with the 55 mph speed limit back in the day. Several states have legalized it already without the federal government trying to stop it. It needs to be decriminalized at the federal level so the state pot business can have access to the banking system

I think the States can make up their own mind on this issue. If a State wants to keep marijuana banned, they can. But there's lots of tax dollars to be had from it.

I support forcing the backwards states to legalize. The war on pot needs to be over. We can't wait fifty or sixty years for some states to catch up.

And there would be even more if the local businesses could access the banking system which won’t happen until Congress decriminalizes it. It will make it easier for new business start ups then.

And WHY...

Yup. About time.

And you’re correct about motivation:

“John Boehner has been known to enjoy the occasional adult beverage. He famously nicknamed his negotiations over raising the nation's debt ceiling in 2011 the "Nicorettes and Merlot sessions." Nicorette because that's what President Obama would chew during the talks. Merlot because that was the drink of choice for the former speaker of the House.

These days, the Ohio Republican has expanded his view of what should and should not count as a socially acceptable vice. He's no longer just a wine enthusiast. Rather, he's emerged as one of the most vocal advocates in the GOP for marijuana legalization.”

I would rather keep reefer decriminalized over legalized ............

And there would be even more if the local businesses could access the banking system which won’t happen until Congress decriminalizes it. It will make it easier for new business start ups then.
Indeed. I think that this should be decriminalized at the federal level and then the States can determine for themselves if they wish to legalize it or not.

Indeed. I think that this should be decriminalized at the federal level and then the States can determine for themselves if they wish to legalize it or not.
I agree.

But this is about decriminalizing it at the federal level.
Sure, of course Utah could ban all alcoholic beverages right now if they wanted.
Seeing as how LDS is pretty much the "official state religion" it would be a well received idea among the church elders, who function almost as a kind of Iran Supreme Assembly of Experts, only in Utah...no candidate who gets the kibosh from LDS elders has a ghost of a chance in winning in Utah politics.

So yeah, Utah's a state where booze, tobacco, pot and even caffeinated beverages could be criminalized tomorrow.
But the DEA would no longer be at their beck and call to help out.
And that's when it would start to become very expensive for the State of Utah, with very little return on investment other than a few more cushy police jobs.

But this is about decriminalizing it at the federal level.
Sure, of course Utah could ban all alcoholic beverages right now if they wanted.
Seeing as how LDS is pretty much the "official state religion" it would be a well received idea among the church elders, who function almost as a kind of Iran Supreme Assembly of Experts, only in Utah...no candidate who gets the kibosh from LDS elders has a ghost of a chance in winning in Utah politics.

So yeah, Utah's a state where booze, tobacco, pot and even caffeinated beverages could be criminalized tomorrow.
But the DEA would no longer be at their beck and call to help out.
And that's when it would start to become very expensive for the State of Utah, with very little return on investment other than a few more cushy police jobs.
Yeah, I understand, I was responding to a point being made that there needs to be language to force States to legalize. I don't think that should exist. I 100% endorse the legalization at the federal level and then to leave the decision to the States. Several states already have legal weed, and if the federal government legalized it I think you'd see many more States quickly adopt legalized weed. There's just too much tax dollars on the table to leave it. But perhaps not every State will, and that's up to them.

I would rather keep reefer decriminalized over legalized ............

Decriminalize reefer then open it up to allow people to grow their own .............

Decriminalize reefer then open it up to allow people to grow their own .............
In at least WA St, people can grow a certain number of plants for their own use.

Similar I guess to people being able to brew their own beer, for example.

Back
Top Bottom