• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fear and gun ownership.

No, the underlying motivation for the 2A was the maintenance of a militia.

No mention of self-defense is to be found in the Constitution.

Actually, depending on your interpretation of the phrase "a free State" in the 2nd.

A state of individual liberty does rely (entirely) on the individual remaining alive.

The poster on here denies that there's no weapon unsuitable for self defense (personal weapon that is, not crew served).

I think the Davy Crocket probably qualifies as "unsuitable". For anything really.

Actually, depending on your interpretation of the phrase "a free State" in the 2nd.

A state of individual liberty does rely (entirely) on the individual remaining alive.

Well a "state" is regarded as a country and not to be confused with the federal use of the word meaning region/province

So for example the UK is a state, a nation-state

A "free-state" would be one with sovereignty and not controlled by another state.

I'm not sure what you mean by "A state of individual liberty does rely (entirely) on the individual remaining alive."

Is it a philosophical in that we are all men, born of woman, and mortal ?
Or are you alluding to the state's right to kill as a punishment for certain offences ?

I think the Davy Crocket probably qualifies as "unsuitable". For anything really.

Not sure that qualifies as a "personal weapon" though.

I believe Rounds Cooking off after stopping fire in automatic weapons is the reason for Polymer Cases. They insulate the Breach of extreme automatic rate of fire heat. Automatic weapons have a history of cooking off rounds say up to 30 minutes after heavy fire. Reason to unload is safety ! Understanding the trajectory of a bullet after leaving the barrel is apparently needed with the Polymer round. It tends to be hotter. mostly higher ! The Texas company gets passes with a good product. It also reduced the weight of the pack of Militarys 210 rounds. It also proves its accuracy is very fine.

Last edited:
I believe Rounds Cooking off after stopping fire in automatic weapons is the reason for Polymer Cases. They insulate the Breach of extreme automatic rate of fire heat. Automatic weapons have a history of cooking off rounds say up to 30 minutes after heavy fire. Reason to unload is safety ! Understanding the trajectory of a bullet after leaving the barrel is apparently needed with the Polymer round. It tends to be hotter. mostly higher ! The Texas company gets passes with a good product. It also reduced the weight of the pack of Militarys 210 rounds. It also proves its accuracy is very fine.

The reason to unload is always safety.

After firing, a eapon should always be unloaded or at least "made safe".

Cook offs are why many machine guns and submachine guns are designed to fire from an open breech. That way, when firing is stopped, there is no round chambered.

Cook offs are why many machine guns and submachine guns are designed to fire from an open breech. That way, when firing is stopped, there is no round chambered.
on SMGs its a much cheaper construction: it is deleterious to accuracy but full auto SMGs are not precision weapons

Here is a good read about open bolt as apposed to Semi Automatic rifles. Of course a round may cook off it there is a misfire. After heavy fire !

The argument is that much of the pro gun arguments are based on fear. And that can be easily dismissed as an appeal to emotions rather than a good reason for having a gun.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-019-0373-z
I know lots of gun owners who went out and made purchases in the past few years as the push by democrats to limit firearm ownership became more and more overt. I'd say that's kinda of an F U, motivation.

I purchased a gun within the last two or so years.

I believed, rightly or wrongly, that if an intruder entered my home when I was younger, I'd have a fair to superior chance of defending my self and my wife in a fair fight.

Being older now, I believe, rightly or wrongly, that if an intruder entered my home I would be easy pickings for the intruder and would NOT be able to defend myself and my wife in a fair fight.

I feel. rightly or wrongly, that me having a gun will increase my chances of success in a fight with an intruder.

I have spoken to numerous police officers who all agree that if i call the police to ask for help on a home invasion, the cops will arrive AFTER the danger is over in almost every possible outcome.

The police are sent to fill out reports, not to stop the violence.

All things considered, I'd prefer the be the person in their report who talked about the body on the floor and not be the body on the floor.
I can't swing a bat like I used to either - and can't set booby traps they are against the law.

really. what if it is on a bipod or a M16 with a sling fired from a prone position?

It's still not accurate, or I should say not as accurate as single shots would be

I used to be a gunner (the GPMG, FN MAG - what the US military calls the M-240), the tripod was actually designed to spread the shots.
You don't actually want all the rounds landing on the same point, but rather a spread.

There's no way that an M-16, or indeed any automatic rifle, (regardless of how you fire it) will return the same MOA on full auto as it would on semi-auto.

It's still not accurate, or I should say not as accurate as single shots would be

I used to be a gunner (the GPMG, FN MAG - what the US military calls the M-240), the tripod was actually designed to spread the shots.
You don't actually want all the rounds landing on the same point, but rather a spread.

There's no way that an M-16, or indeed any automatic rifle, (regardless of how you fire it) will return the same MOA on full auto as it would on semi-auto.
I agree but it still can be accurate. Years ago, I was shooting a 3G match, there were a few Colt AR 15s in the late 80s that had defective disconnectors. The course of fire involved shooting prone at a Gong target at 100 yards. You had 15 seconds to shoot 20 rounds IIRC but in this stage you didn't have to transition to another stage. So I went prone and I had a Turner Military Match sling on the rifle and it was cranked down. I pulled the trigger and the rifle went full auto. I set the all time record for that stage. I called Colt the next day. I had the RO at the shoot call as well. I also informed a friend of mine who was the RAC for the local ATF. He already knew about this happening in another case.

I agree but it still can be accurate. Years ago, I was shooting a 3G match, there were a few Colt AR 15s in the late 80s that had defective disconnectors. The course of fire involved shooting prone at a Gong target at 100 yards. You had 15 seconds to shoot 20 rounds IIRC but in this stage you didn't have to transition to another stage. So I went prone and I had a Turner Military Match sling on the rifle and it was cranked down. I pulled the trigger and the rifle went full auto. I set the all time record for that stage. I called Colt the next day. I had the RO at the shoot call as well. I also informed a friend of mine who was the RAC for the local ATF. He already knew about this happening in another case.

How many rounds were you firing though ?
A three round burst or a full magazine.

My last personal weapon was the L85 (SA-80 A1) I never fired the A2
On the range it was beautiful to shoot - I used the iron sights not the SUSAT optic (though today pretty much all soldiers have an optic of one kind or another). The ergonomics are well thought out and at over 9lb fully loaded, it had minimal recoil.
Yet even with a sandbag for left forearm support and using the base of the magazine as a monopod, full auto was for area targets only.

How many rounds were you firing though ?
A three round burst or a full magazine.

My last personal weapon was the L85 (SA-80 A1) I never fired the A2
On the range it was beautiful to shoot - I used the iron sights not the SUSAT optic (though today pretty much all soldiers have an optic of one kind or another). The ergonomics are well thought out and at over 9lb fully loaded, it had minimal recoil.
Yet even with a sandbag for left forearm support and using the base of the magazine as a monopod, full auto was for area targets only.
the whole magazine.

I can't swing a bat like I used to either - and can't set booby traps they are against the law.

My level of concentration being what it is, I fear that if I were to "set a booby trap", the "booby" trapped would be me, or worse, Mrs. Code.

Aggravating she whose name must not be spoken is the real world manifestation fulfilling a Death Wish.

Did I mention that she's Puerto Rican? ;)

If Ya have a 357 wheel and find yourself / suddenly got yourself / into a knife fight at least ya got a chance.

Back
Top Bottom