• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDR's Greatist Blunder

FDR's Greatest Mistakes

• Total voters

ronpaulvoter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
What do you consider FDR's gravest mistakes?

Poll is multiple choice. Vote for all that apply.

Last edited:
poliomyelitis

Still deciding, but it ranks up there with "starting a poll-less thread in the poll section"

Still deciding, but it ranks up there with "starting a poll-less thread in the poll section"

It takes a minute or two to finish writing the poll.

Ohhh snap! Now who has egg on his face?

Misspelling "greatest."

His attempt to stack the Supreme Court has to be one

The internment camps.

Easily internment camps, when of the biggest atrocities in American history.

So where do all you Ron Paul guys get your info from? Did his campaign just give out a book or something of random stuff to spout out? Half of your choices read like bullet points I get from EVERY SINGLE Ron Paul supporter. It's like a cult or something.

Anyways, good job with the negative slate in the poll, but the Japanese camps were for sure his biggest blunder. Suggesting that he agitated the Japanese when there were in fact Japanese diplomats in D.C. at the time of the bombing (who themselves had no idea Tojo would order that) is also a huge misconception typically tossed around by the same people that like to talk about the moon landing not being real, Obama not being a US citizen (because Hawaii doesn't -really- count for a state right?), and a secret DaVinci Code style scheme to create 9/11.

Hmmm... since everything there with the exception of the internment camps, I see as a positive, I would go with trying to stack the Supreme Court. One of the worst things a President has ever attempted.

Hmmm... since everything there with the exception of the internment camps, I see as a positive, I would go with trying to stack the Supreme Court. One of the worst things a President has ever attempted.

You mean you support eminent domain, one of the grossest abuses of governmental power?

You mean you support eminent domain, one of the grossest abuses of governmental power?

My only problem with eminent domain is when its used to build a walmart or something. If its essential infrastructure, than its probably a good thing.

My only problem with eminent domain is when its used to build a walmart or something. If its essential infrastructure, than its probably a good thing.

There's just one problem with the idea though. The government pays you the market rate for that home. Here's the catch, if that money was worth what you value the house minus the labor of moving, you would sell yourself. As such, the property owner gets trampled upon by the government because the property owner NECESSARILY takes a loss. There is no way around this: the government always undercompensates the property owner.

There's just one problem with the idea though. The government pays you the market rate for that home. Here's the catch, if that money was worth what you value the house minus the labor of moving, you would sell yourself. As such, the property owner gets trampled upon by the government because the property owner NECESSARILY takes a loss. There is no way around this: the government always undercompensates the property owner.

That's probably true, but if its infrastructure, wealth in general is probably going to be raised as we have better electricity, roads, sewers, whatever.

In most eminent domain cases where the land in question is to be privatized, the company that stands to gain the land compensates the owners, not the government. In Louisville, where I live, UPS bought huge tracts of land and took over many neighborhoods in their expansion. They compensated the owners 20% above the market value of their property.

In most eminent domain cases where the land in question is to be privatized, the company that stands to gain the land compensates the owners, not the government. In Louisville, where I live, UPS bought huge tracts of land and took over many neighborhoods in their expansion. They compensated the owners 20% above the market value of their property.

But they still had to use eminent domain, did they not? In which case the transaction was still not voluntary and the property owners still then probably lost in the end.

That's probably true, but if its infrastructure, wealth in general is probably going to be raised as we have better electricity, roads, sewers, whatever.

If net utility is raised then the government could pay people so that they would voluntarily leave rather than force them to leave.

Really? Seizing people's gold, devaluing the currency as rapidly as he did and forbidding things like gold ownership? Those are positives to ya eh? I never thought someone would defend theft as a positive; but each to their own. One can argue that we needed to move to a fiat system. OK, that's fine. I think it's true as well. Even back then silver could be cornered so there was a lot of risk to being metal backed. As well as it exposes your true debt then since your dollars represent a certain amount of gold instead of imaginary numbers. But that method was not a positive, what he did to the People to get the change he wanted; not good. What he did to the Judicial branch to get what he wanted, not good. Treason in fact. How the **** do we allow one branch of government to blackmail essentially to force them to rule in a way, and not call it treason? FDR should have been hanged, wheelchair and all. He put us under a declared state of emergency which has never been canceled.

"I think of all the damnable heresies that have ever been suggested in connection with the Constitution, the doctrine of emergency is the worst. it means that when Congress declares an emergency, there is no Constitution. This means its death. It is the very doctrine that the German chancellor is invoking today in the dying hours of the parliamentary body of the German republic, namely, that because of an emergency, it should grant to the German chancellor absolute power to pass any law, even though the law contradicts the Constitution of the German republic. Chancellor Hitler is at least frank about it. We pay the Constitution lipservice, but the result is the same.

But the Constitution of the United States, as a restraining influence in keeping the federal government within the carefully prescribed channels of power, is moribund, if not dead. We are witnessing its death-agonies, for when this bill becomes a law, if unhappily it becomes a law, there is no longer any workable Constitution to keep the Congress within the limits of its Constitutional powers."
~ Congressman James M. Beck, speaking from the Congressional Record 1933

If net utility is raised then the government could pay people so that they would voluntarily leave rather than force them to leave.

It would be nice it if could work out that way. However, some people are like that guy in the movie UP.

But they still had to use eminent domain, did they not? In which case the transaction was still not voluntary and the property owners still then probably lost in the end.

They indeed did use eminent domain, but for the simple reason that they had purchased all of the available land in the area and had extended the airport to the back door of the neighborhoods. Now most of the eminent domain land is vacant and was simply purchased to allow the residents to move away from the noise and prevent the loss of their property value due to having warehouses and fly-overs in the near vicinity.

Back
Top Bottom