• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA says single-dose shot from J&J prevents severe COVID

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://apnews.com/article/fda-j-and-j-vaccine-shot-prevent-covid-6928a9a08526d036a9f8197149c80f06</div>

WASHINGTON (AP) — Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine offers strong protection against severe COVID-19, according to an analysis released Wednesday by U.S. regulators that sets the stage for a final decision on a new and easier-to-use shot to help tame the pandemic.

The long-anticipated shot could offer the nation a third vaccine option and help speed vaccinations by requiring just one dose instead of two. Food and Drug Administration scientists confirmed that overall the vaccine is about 66% effective at preventing moderate to severe COVID-19, and about 85% effective against the most serious illness. The agency also said J&J’s shot is safe.
=================================================================
I can hardly wait, as if I had a choice in this matter.

https://apnews.com/article/fda-j-and-j-vaccine-shot-prevent-covid-6928a9a08526d036a9f8197149c80f06</div>

WASHINGTON (AP) — Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine offers strong protection against severe COVID-19, according to an analysis released Wednesday by U.S. regulators that sets the stage for a final decision on a new and easier-to-use shot to help tame the pandemic.

The long-anticipated shot could offer the nation a third vaccine option and help speed vaccinations by requiring just one dose instead of two. Food and Drug Administration scientists confirmed that overall the vaccine is about 66% effective at preventing moderate to severe COVID-19, and about 85% effective against the most serious illness. The agency also said J&J’s shot is safe.
And therein lies the rub. I can't help but wonder how many people are going to insist on having access to one vaccine over another, as the months roll on, and reveal different levels of efficacy, specificity and side effects of each. Which one we get, and when, might be reduced to our geography.

Unless we pay for our shots.

Last edited:
And therein lies the rub. I can't help but wonder how many people are going to insist on having access to one vaccine over another, as the months roll on, and reveal different levels of efficacy, specificity and side effects of each. Which one we get, and when, might be reduced to our geography.

My mom did not have a choice. The hospital she got it at (in her car) keeps it simple by only offering Moderna's vaccine. I don't know if that is because of safety or cost. To get the shots, she needed a "ticket" from our primary care doctor. Both doses were free. I am ineligible for now because it is only valid for people over age 65.

My mom did not have a choice. The hospital she got it at (in her car) keeps it simple by only offering Moderna's vaccine. I don't know if that is because of safety or cost. To get the shots, she needed a "ticket" from our primary care doctor. Both doses were free. I am ineligible for now because it is only valid for people over age 65.
The combination of health issues about 11 years ago, and the fact that I'm over 65, conspire to put me solidly into the "high risk" category. Nevertheless, I haven't signed up for the shots yet. I had blood work done just last month. All normal, and I'm not on any meds, so technically I'm currently "healthy" - whatever that means - as such, I figured that people more at-risk than I am should get an earlier crack at it. My current thinking is that I can hold out until April/May - much more will be known by then - and by that time pick the manufacturer I want and just buy the damned thing.

The combination of health issues about 11 years ago, and the fact that I'm over 65, conspire to put me solidly into the "high risk" category. Nevertheless, I haven't signed up for the shots yet. I had blood work done just last month. All normal, and I'm not on any meds, so technically I'm currently "healthy" - whatever that means - as such, I figured that people more at-risk than I am should get an earlier crack at it. My current thinking is that I can hold out until April/May - much more will be known by then - and by that time pick the manufacturer I want and just buy the damned thing.
Hey, just wanted to say good on you for letting someone else take the shot before you, even though you would have qualified. A great gesture.

I'd rather have the 2 shot vaccine with effective rates in the 90's. Will I have a choice?

I'd rather have the 2 shot vaccine with effective rates in the 90's. Will I have a choice?

You'd be lucky to get any shot but you might get lucky. They're all looking good, especially Pfizer & the new J&J. I like Moderna because you don't have to keep it ultra-cold.

The "over 65" risk factor is overrated. My nephew is in third grade and he tested positive after spending time at a friend's house. (Nobody knows how it happened, but the friend's dad seems to be the culprit.) Other kids reportedly have been diagnosed with covid. It is unfair to the younger people that they are not old enough to get a vaccine that was approved for all adults. I don't think an age minimum should be absolute with healthy 70-year olds getting it before their children or grandchildren who are medically at high risk are eligible.

i'll probably take whatever i can get. i'm getting tired of waiting, and i'm a little annoyed that it wasn't offered to me at work by now. i can't get specific about why.

The "over 65" risk factor is overrated. My nephew is in third grade and he tested positive after spending time at a friend's house. (Nobody knows how it happened, but the friend's dad seems to be the culprit.) Other kids reportedly have been diagnosed with covid. It is unfair to the younger people that they are not old enough to get a vaccine that was approved for all adults. I don't think an age minimum should be absolute with healthy 70-year olds getting it before their children or grandchildren who are medically at high risk are eligible.
The vaccines have not even been approved yet for administering to the very young. There are testing protocols that have yet to be implemented, and the data shows that the young, while they can certainly catch the disease, have much milder cases, and their lives are rarely threatened unless they already have severe respiratory conditions.

I can see 'boutique' vaccination stores where you make a reservation & then pay for whichever vaccine you want.

They are talking about making 6M doses by July but only 3-4M are going to take them. So there could be a 'brand' black market developing into this summer. You made need a Health dept. permit, so offer flu shots & others as well.

The diagnostic places like Quest have trained phlebotamists who are training in jabbing people. These vaccines are intramuscular, so it's not brain surgery.

The vaccines have not even been approved yet for administering to the very young. There are testing protocols that have yet to be implemented, and the data shows that the young, while they can certainly catch the disease, have much milder cases, and their lives are rarely threatened unless they already have severe respiratory conditions.

I was just pointing out the flaw in the assumption that younger people should have to wait for their parents or grandparents to get it first.l The message hospitals are sending to them is, "Only senior citizens are at high risk of getting covid."

Hopefully its sans asbestos.

I was just pointing out the flaw in the assumption that younger people should have to wait for their parents or grandparents to get it first.l The message hospitals are sending to them is, "Only senior citizens are at high risk of getting covid."
I think the message they're trying to send is "Only senior citizens are at high risk of DYING of Covid"
And that's been true since day 2.

Where I got my first shot they required you prove you didn't vote for Trump. I thought that was a little strange.

I think the message they're trying to send is "Only senior citizens are at high risk of DYING of Covid." And that's been true since day 2.

And people who have weak immune systems. I have a low white blood cell count every year. A hemotologist told me that is normal in my case because it is always low, but other doctors played around with drugs I took hoping it would go up. Does that not make me less likely to die than a healthy 70-year old with no pre-existing conditions if I get covid?

And people who have weak immune systems. I have a low white blood cell count every year. A hemotologist told me that is normal in my case because it is always low, but other doctors played around with drugs I took hoping it would go up. Does that not make me less likely to die than a healthy 70-year old with no pre-existing conditions if I get covid?
Who knows? Until we get to the day where every individual's total chemistry, lifestyle and genetics is factored into every thing we do and consume, we'll never be at the point of certainty with any of these things. Too many unknowns. In our lifetimes, we'll always be playing the odds. The best we can do is take precautions.

And it doesn't use mRNA, so it might be more like the old vaccines. And it won't need ultra cold storage. I HOPE they will let us get this one, if vaccines are mandated.

Why shouldn't we be allowed to prefer one type over the others? Can we please have just a little bit of freedom BB?

You'd be lucky to get any shot but you might get lucky. They're all looking good, especially Pfizer & the new J&J. I like Moderna because you don't have to keep it ultra-cold.

I don't think J&J requires ultra-cold either, since it does not use mRNA.

Only certain risks groups have a chance of dying from covid. A young healthy person has almost no chance of getting seriously damaged or dying from it.

Back
Top Bottom