• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA releases plan to ban menthol in cigarettes, cigars

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Brilliant! "In the name of equity", the FDA is going to target predominantly African-American smokers.

Brilliant! "In the name of equity", the FDA is going to target predominantly African-American smokers.

This of course is based on all of the medical studies that show that what keeps a smoker smoking is the smooth, soothing flavor of Menthol. 🤣

And, in the process, drive the creation of a black market that will get (brown and black) people arrested, incarcerated, and (in the course of the former) subjected to uses of force that the folks currently in power claim are so bad and over trivial matters.

One can't help but wonder why they are creating more trivial matters, and what they expect to be done when people break these new regulations.

And in related news, seatbelt regulations target car users!

Well done FDA!

Gosh, imagine that, encouraging youth and non-whites NOT to start smoking to being with,and making them healthier. How discriminatory.

I must have missed the references to "in the name of equity" and "African American smokers" in the link.

If tobacco is the danger, why don't they ban that instead?

I mean, the racism of this policy can't be overstated. You could substitute menthol tobacco products with pretty much every unhealthy soul food without changing the justification... but people would see the racism if the FDA banned the sale of fried chicken because black people eat it. :rolleyes:

If tobacco is the danger, why don't they ban that instead?

Good question. I'm guessing because it's primary season....

Good question. I'm guessing because it's primary season....

You misrepresent the post of another member in your signature. That's universally despised. Why do a thing universally recognized as toxic scum. Not only is it sad and pathetic, it's rapey. So you're giving yourself that vibe too.

I must have missed the references to "in the name of equity" and "African American smokers" in the link.

Facts omitted from a ‘news’ story do not make them go away or become less important.

Non-Hispanic black adults have the highest percentage of menthol cigarette use compared to other racial and ethnic groups. In 2014-2015, 76.8% of non-Hispanic black adults who smoked usually used menthol cigarettes, compared to 34.7% of Hispanic adults and 24.6% of white adults.

Oh, it has nothing at all to do with menthol?

Merely an excuse to kick the black community?

While they are at it they ought to ban all flavored cigarettes, and flavored chewing tobacco.

You misrepresent the post of another member in your signature. That's universally despised. Why do a thing universally recognized as toxic scum. Not only is it sad and pathetic, it's rapey. So you're giving yourself that vibe too.

Holy shit, I just noticed that. here is Mr. Person's real post:

They're going to torture those people to death and bury the pieces in pits, then tell us they could not find them.

"Furious" does not begin to describe how I feel about the handling of the right choice (pulling out). And no, that doesn't exculpate Trump at all for his role. This is just... I..

And not just that. Furious at myself for voting Biden but ALSO furious at the rest of America for leaving that the only pragmatic choice (what's a vote for the libertarian going to do but help Trump, in the rare instance that MA doesn't go D for pres? Have you seen the LP platform? Even their tax policy alone would instantly bankrupt and destroy the federal government, aka, the United part of the United States of America). Furious at Trumpists who praise Trump while fighting vaccines and masks despite there being hundreds of thousands of dead Americans who did not have to die from COVID; at Trumpists who pretend to care about Afghanis and our dead servicefolk, but only to the extent that it forms a basis to attack Biden (where's the fury at Bush and Trump, and all the deaths under them for continuing the war?).

Furious at this, at that, at the other thing. And no, "stepping away" won't help because it's not DP that's the problem. It's reality. (Ok, that was originally "realty", which kinda gave me a needed chuckle. DAMM THOSE HOUSES!)

I read the link. I missed those words. Do you mind copying them in here and telling me what paragraphs you went to in order to copy them?

Clearly you didn't. The passages you missed were in the second and seventh paragraphs. :rolleyes:

I read the link. I missed those words. Do you mind copying them in here and telling me what paragraphs you went to in order to copy them?

OK.

Menthol has particularly high rates of use by youth, young adults and African Americans and other racial and ethnic groups.

I must admit, it was poorly written because everyone is in some racial or ethnic group (even non-Hispanic white folks).

Back
Top Bottom