• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA panel votes for prescribing naloxone with opioids

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...escribing-naloxone-with-opioids-idUSKBN1OH2CA

(Reuters) - An advisory panel to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday recommended prescribing the opioid overdose reversal drug, naloxone, along with addictive painkilllers.

The panel, which concluded a two-day discussion on ways to make the potentially life-saving drug readily available, voted 12-11 in favor of labeling changes for opioids that recommend co-prescribing the overdose antidote.
==================================
What a great idea! Suddenly the light bulbs over their heads must have suddenly gone on for them to come up with such a common sense idea.

The problem with naloxone (aka NARCAN) is that many of the designer opioids liked fentanyl & carfentanyl are so powerful you will be on your way to meet St. Peter before you can reach for it. I've read that people into partying with designer opioids have a 'designated driver' system where the person with the NARCAN stays sober while the others get high. He or she is their safety person in case of an OD.

I have a concern that this is just an excuse to not reduce the prescription levels, and allow pharmaceutical companies to sell more drugs (now opioids AND their antidote).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...escribing-naloxone-with-opioids-idUSKBN1OH2CA

(Reuters) - An advisory panel to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday recommended prescribing the opioid overdose reversal drug, naloxone, along with addictive painkilllers.

The panel, which concluded a two-day discussion on ways to make the potentially life-saving drug readily available, voted 12-11 in favor of labeling changes for opioids that recommend co-prescribing the overdose antidote.
What a great idea! Suddenly the light bulbs over their heads must have suddenly gone on for them to come up with such a common sense idea.

The problem with naloxone (aka NARCAN) is that many of the designer opioids liked fentanyl & carfentanyl are so powerful you will be on your way to meet St. Peter before you can reach for it. I've read that people into partying with designer opioids have a 'designated driver' system where the person with the NARCAN stays sober while the others get high. He or she is their safety person in case of an OD.

If people are ODing on big pharma drugs then they are either supremely stupid or they want to be......the dosage is very measured. It is the street drugs that are not. Naloxone can cost $1,000 a dose, this is about driving up the cost of opioids under the now standard excuse of "SAFETY!" so they they can be killed off.

Naloxone manufacturers that presented at the advisory committee meeting were all in favor of co-prescribing naloxone with opioids
https://www.raps.org/news-and-artic...dvisory-committee-votes-for-co-prescribing-na

No **** Sherlock.

Last edited:
I have a concern that this is just an excuse to not reduce the prescription levels, and allow pharmaceutical companies to sell more drugs (now opioids AND their antidote).

Exactly my thoughts. This recommendation is a boon for pharma.

Arguably a very good idea for safety for the users, but a boon for pharma.

Exactly my thoughts. This recommendation is a boon for pharma.

Arguably a very good idea for safety for the users, but a boon for pharma.

It would be a great idea to develop & market an auto-injector for the NARCAN. It would measure your vital signs so that when you ODed it would shoot you up with NARCAN. Problem I see with this is that sometimes people are so ODed that it requires 3-4 NARCAN shots to bring them around.

It would be a great idea to develop & market an auto-injector for the NARCAN. It would measure your vital signs so that when you ODed it would shoot you up with NARCAN. Problem I see with this is that sometimes people are so ODed that it requires 3-4 NARCAN shots to bring them around.

Yes, we've come so far after more than a century of drug prohibition....

I hope that Mississippi attorney on 60 Minutes the other night bankrupts Purdue and the suppliers.

For the Thread:

A record number of drug overdose deaths occurred in 2016: 63,632, a rate of 19.8 per 100,000 persons.
Although deaths might have involved more than one drug, prescription and/or illicit opioids were
involved in 66.4% (42,249) of these drug overdose fatalities. Among opioid-involved deaths, the most
commonly involved drugs were synthetic opioids other than methadone (a category that is primarily illicitly
manufactured fentanyl, based on epidemiologic evidence) (19,413 deaths), followed by prescription opioids
(17,087 deaths), and heroin (15,469 deaths). Prescription opioids included deaths involving natural and semisynthetic opioids (14,487 deaths) and methadone (3,373 deaths). Cocaine was involved in 10,375 deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/pubs/2018-cdc-drug-surveillance-report.pdf

Accidental prescription drug overdoses do happen. Patients with chronic pain, such as those dealing with cancer or arthritis, are typically prescribed strong, long-acting painkillers like OxyContin. If they inadvertently take too many pills in one day, they can overdose without being addicted to their prescription. Individuals suffering from insomnia may drink alcohol or take other medications that interact with their sleep aid medication, causing them to overdose. Children’s bodies cannot process medications as rapidly as adults, and they cannot metabolize doses as large as adults, so if they accidentally ingest an adult’s prescription, they can overdose. Elderly people with prescription medications, particularly those who have dementia, may accidentally take too much of their prescriptions and suffer an overdose.
https://deserthopetreatment.com/drug-overdose/prescription-drugs/

Last edited:

Well, not just that... it can take several NARCAN shots in quick succession to save someone who would otherwise have only needed one shot were it heroin.

Well, not just that... it can take several NARCAN shots in quick succession to save someone who would otherwise have only needed one shot were it heroin.

Yes, as I had posted about this being a problem with any NARCAN auto-injector. Carfentanyl is perhaps the most potent opioid: they use it to knock out elephants.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom