• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FCC indecency rule struck down by appeals court

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
FCC indecency rule: Court strikes down FCC indecency rule - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington and Los Angeles —
In a sharp rebuke of the Bush-era crackdown on foul language on broadcast television and radio, a federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down the government's near-zero-tolerance indecency policy as a violation of the 1st Amendment protection of free speech.

The ruling is a major victory for the broadcast TV networks, which jointly sued the Federal Communications Commission in 2006.

The case was triggered by unscripted expletives uttered by Bono, Cher and Nicole Richie on awards shows earlier in the decade, and the court's decision calls into question the FCC's regulation of foul language and other indecent content on the public airwaves.

I am not sure how I feel about this decision.

Yeah indecency laws are stupid. Because who exactly decides what is decent, and what isn't? Glad this was struck down.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals did not have the power to strike down the 1978 Supreme Court decision that affirmed the FCC's right to police the airwaves for objectionable content. But it reversed the aggressive stance the agency took starting in 2004 that found even a slip of the tongue that got by network censors was a violation subject to fines for the stations that aired it.

From the sound of this, it is of fairly limited scope, and the FCC is still able to regulate content.

If you don't want your children being exposed to that content, don't let them watch t.v. or at least monitor which programs they are watching. How hard is that to understand? It's not like turning on the t.v. or watching shows at prime time or post-prime time is uncontrollable. And with modern technology certain stations can even have parental controls.

I don't need nanny government telling me what I can or cannot be exposed to on the airwaves. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom