• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FBI Lawyer to Plead Guilty of Falsifying Document for Carter Page FISA Warrant

eman623

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The attempted coup is unraveling. Clinesmith is the first fallout from the FBI illegal spying campaign on Trump, but probably not the last.

I hope his plea deal requires him to spill all, including who directed him to falsify evidence presented to the FISA court.

National Review - Zachary Evans - August 14, 2020

Former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith will plead guilty to falsifying a document used to obtain a FISA warrant on former Trump-campaign adviser Carter Page.

Clinesmith was charged in Washington, D.C., on Friday with one felony count of making a false statement, and will plead guilty in a plea deal with prosecutors conducting a criminal probe of the Russia investigation, the New York Times reported.

The probe is being led by prosecutor John Durham, who was appointed to the task by Attorney General William Barr. Barr hinted at a development in the Durham probe in comments to Fox News on Thursday night.

“It’s not an earth-shattering development, but it is an indication that things are moving along at the proper pace, as dictated by the facts in this investigation,” Barr said.

Clinesmith is set to admit that he altered an email from the CIA in order to renew the FISA warrant against Page in 2017. That email stated that Page had worked as a source for the CIA, but Clinesmith changed the reference to state that Page was not a source.

“Kevin deeply regrets having altered the email,” a lawyer for Clinesmith said. “It was never his intent to mislead the court or his colleagues as he believed the information he relayed was accurate.”

A report by the Justice Department inspector general found numerous inaccuracies in the FBI’s applications to surveil Page.

Page was monitored as part of the FBI’s investigation into alleged collaboration between the 2016 Trump campaign and Russian operatives. The FBI agents who opened the investigation, including Joe Pientka, gave Trump his first intelligence briefing as presumptive Republican nominee. A memo with a summary of the briefing was approved by former agent Peter Strzok as well as Clinesmith.

The attempted coup is unraveling.

Indeed it is.

Watchlist: James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page and Bruce Ohr

Biden and Obama are suffering from a case of puckered butt cheeks.

This really is a tiny, minuscule, microscopic drop in the bucket. I mean, yeah, it's something but it isn't exactly kicking the door open to conspiracy charges for anyone else. I was kind of figuring that by now we'd have some actual meat on some bones instead of a scrap.

I agree, Lutherf, but it's a start.

Where are all of the good liberals here on Debate Politics who said the Russia probe was all done legally.

Where O where can they be?

The attempted coup is unraveling. Clinesmith is the first fallout from the FBI illegal spying campaign on Trump, but probably not the last.

I hope his plea deal requires him to spill all, including who directed him to falsify evidence presented to the FISA court.

There is nothing in this revelation that we didn't know last November. It's still the same one guy it was nearly a year ago. No system-wide anti-trump conspiracy is demonstrated here.

Who is Carter Page?
Exactly.

In a country with decent journalism, Carter Page would be a familiar name. They spied on him hoping to get dirt on Trump. Nothing was ever found to charge him with, in spite of the massive amounts of maneuvering to gets invasive surveillance of his home and three renewals of the warrant. Investigative journalists should have been all over his story years ago. Instead, he's one of a list of names that never saw a headline, much less the front page.

There is nothing in this revelation that we didn't know last November. It's still the same one guy it was nearly a year ago. No system-wide anti-trump conspiracy is demonstrated here.
It's the first crack in the glass.

Exactly.

In a country with decent journalism, Carter Page would be a familiar name. They spied on him hoping to get dirt on Trump. Nothing was ever found to charge him with, in spite of the massive amounts of maneuvering to gets invasive surveillance of his home and three renewals of the warrant. Investigative journalists should have been all over his story years ago. Instead, he's one of a list of names that never saw a headline, much less the front page.

It's the first crack in the glass.

If it's "the first crack in the glass," then it's the same crack in the glass that was there last year. Which means in all this time it has remained one very lonely crack.

We knew about this dude over 8 months ago. All this time and this is all they've got.

Weak.

FBI lawyer under criminal investigation altered document to say Carter Page 'was not a source' for another agency

Where are all of the good liberals here on Debate Politics who said the Russia probe was all done legally.

Where O where can they be?

If this is going to be your "October surprise" for Biden, you people deserve to lose.

This really is a tiny, minuscule, microscopic drop in the bucket. I mean, yeah, it's something but it isn't exactly kicking the door open to conspiracy charges for anyone else. I was kind of figuring that by now we'd have some actual meat on some bones instead of a scrap.

Exactly.

This smacks of throwing a bone to the masses. I have this feeling that following the law and going where the evidence leads you in this case would mean opening the door to years of systemic corruption regarding the FISA court. People on "both sides" would wind up getting ensnared and I seriously doubt that this is going to go much deeper than, say, McCabe?

Exactly.

This smacks of throwing a bone to the masses. I have this feeling that following the law and going where the evidence leads you in this case would mean opening the door to years of systemic corruption regarding the FISA court. People on "both sides" would wind up getting ensnared and I seriously doubt that this is going to go much deeper than, say, McCabe?

This won't come anywhere near McCabe. A US Attorney had already declined to file any charges against McCabe.

LOL! He's a low level FBI lawyer. Then only thing he's likely to spill is his coffee.

If it's "the first crack in the glass," then it's the same crack in the glass that was there last year. Which means in all this time it has remained one very lonely crack.
Hardly. True, the facts were known a year ago, but this is several steps further on that road. That Hillary Clinton committed a list of felonies has long been know. It was never brought to this point. Big difference.

That said, he is the minnow that was used to catch the bigger fish.

Hardly. True, the facts were known a year ago, but this is several steps further on that road. That Hillary Clinton committed a list of felonies has long been know. It was never brought to this point. Big difference.

That said, he is the minnow that was used to catch the bigger fish.

Yeah right. Doubt any of the so called 'bigger fish' even knew who he was.

Exactly.

I don't think that there's any doubt that both sides are involved. McCain, for example, was up to his eyeballs in this whole thing and there's no way he was the only one.

This won't come anywhere near McCabe. A US Attorney had already declined to file any charges against McCabe.

Something like this always has to have a bow on top and McCabe fits the bill perfectly.

"Lying to Congress". 6 months in club fed and the whole thing is yesterday's news.

If this is going to be your "October surprise" for Biden, you people deserve to lose.
Check a calendar. I'm sure your phone has one. 60 days is the usual rule of thumb. it's over 80.

Yeah right. Doubt any of the so called 'bigger fish' even knew who he was.
Maybe not by name, but certainly by role.

This is big. It shreds the pretense that the FBI was doing legitimate surveillance.

Exactly. This smacks of throwing a bone to the masses. I have this feeling that following the law and going where the evidence leads you in this case would mean opening the door to years of systemic corruption regarding the FISA court. People on "both sides" would wind up getting ensnared and I seriously doubt that this is going to go much deeper than, say, McCabe?
Is Watergate big enough?

Not only is the government spying, they are spying on a political campaign. Same crime, larger scale and using official assets.

It's August and this was just the beginning. This investigation by Durham has been going on for a year. Cheers!

Something like this always has to have a bow on top and McCabe fits the bill perfectly.

"Lying to Congress". 6 months in club fed and the whole thing is yesterday's news.

I repeat. A US Attorney has already declined to file any charges against McCabe. If anything it's McCabe who is going to have even more ammunition for his lawsuit.

Hardly. True, the facts were known a year ago, but this is several steps further on that road.

No, it really isn't. Right now it has all the appearances of being a scalp to offer before Trump's feet, as if to say, "See, my sire? We didn't come up completely empty handed. I present to you...this peasant who has been poaching the lord's forests!"

That Hillary Clinton committed a list of felo-

Haha, okay. That's enough of that.

Check a calendar. I'm sure your phone has one. 60 days is the usual rule of thumb. it's over 80.

Maybe not by name, but certainly by role.

This is big. It shreds the pretense that the FBI was doing legitimate surveillance.

Is Watergate big enough?

Not only is the government spying, they are spying on a political campaign. Same crime, larger scale and using official assets.

BS. Even IG's report said that this lawyer's falsification of a memo had no negative impact on the legitimacy of the original warrant. It just a big fat red herring.

No, it really isn't. Right now it has all the appearances of being a scalp to offer before Trump's feet, as if to say, "See, my sire? We didn't come up completely empty handed. I present to you...this peasant who has been poaching the lord's forests!"
This guy is giving them the smoking gun. The pretense all along was that it was legitimate surveillance. This shreds that like Frosted Mini Wheats.

Haha, okay. That's enough of that.
18 U.S.C. ch. 37, the Espionage Act. Each day the server had a single restricted email is a felony. Each email is a separate felony and each day a new felony. Receiving emails is a felony. Transmitting emails is a felony. Erasing emails is three separate felonies that I am aware. At no point is intent require for there to be a violation. We know, from Hillary Clinton's admissions and recovered emails that there were tens of thousands of felonies. DoJ was not investigating her. They were covering it up. This is all verifiable fact.

BS. Even IG's report said that this lawyer's falsification of a memo had no negative impact on the legitimacy of the original warrant. It just a big fat red herring.
This is true. Those who actually did the surveillance are clear, provided they had no knowledge that the basis was falsified. The ones with the legal problems are the supervisors and the upper level people.

Last edited:
This guy is giving them the smoking gun. The pretense all along was that it was legitimate surveillance. This shreds that like Frosted Mini Wheats.

Keep the dream alive.

Back
Top Bottom