• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FBI head suggests agency paid more than $1M to access iPhone

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
FBI Director James Comey has hinted that the FBI paid more than $1 million to break into the locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers.

At an Aspen Security Forum event in London on Thursday, Comey said the FBI had paid an unidentified third-party more money than he'll earn in his remaining seven years as FBI director.

He did not reveal the precise amount.

Taxpayer money...wasted once again!

They wanted into that iPhone, this seems to be the price to pay to have someone else do it for them.

FBI Director James Comey has hinted that the FBI paid more than $1 million to break into the locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers.

At an Aspen Security Forum event in London on Thursday, Comey said the FBI had paid an unidentified third-party more money than he'll earn in his remaining seven years as FBI director.

Maybe not wasted if they also got to know how it was done. Then, well they paid a million for a very useful crime fighting tool.

They wanted into that iPhone, this seems to be the price to pay to have someone else do it for them.

I wonder if they recovered any decent selfies.

How was it wasted, they got in and some hacker did it for them, probably an ex-apple software engineer or a wiz kid.
Are you saying that you want the Government to have access to your and everyone else's I-phones? If so that does not sound very Conservative.

Maybe not wasted if they also got to know how it was done. Then, well they paid a million for a very useful crime fighting tool.
Unless it becomes known and then the phones will not be worth the plastic it took to make it. People seem to forget that the majority of Americans do not want the government to simply be able to hack their phone any time They feel it is in Their best interests.

Do you think Comey could have done it himself in his remaining 7 years?

you want the Government to have access to your and everyone else's I-phones? If so that does not sound very Conservative.

Actually that sounds very conservative. When we get down to it and look at the real conservative agenda more times than not they are much more in favor of 'Big Brother' looking in our phones, keeping tabs of what goes on in our bedrooms, and the overreach of police power and police state tactics than libs are.

But again, that's just me.

I think what they really wanted was a method to remotely hack into people's iphones. After all, the FBI were demanding that APPLE provide remote access programs even though the FBI already had the physical phone. It was a shady request that implies there true intentions.

Our government is more concerned about spying on American citizens than stopping terrorists.

I think what they really wanted was a method to remotely hack into people's iphones. After all, the FBI were demanding that APPLE provide remote access programs even though the FBI already had the physical phone. It was a shady request that implies there true intentions.

Our government is more concerned about spying on American citizens than stopping terrorists.

I agree. I believe this was more about setting a precedence than this actual phone. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Apple that actually did it behind closed doors.

Actually that sounds very conservative. When we get down to it and look at the real conservative agenda more times than not they are much more in favor of 'Big Brother' looking in our phones, keeping tabs of what goes on in our bedrooms, and the overreach of police power and police state tactics than libs are.

Actually I agree,
but they Claim otherwise so I find it interesting that they seem to want the government snooping around in their phone files, yet they screamed about the NSA simply monitoring phone numbers called. Go figure, I guess the outrage changes depending on the direction the wind is blowing.

Wow, we Finally agree, has to happen from time to time.

If only they hadn't changed that iTunes / iCloud password...

I agree. I believe this was more about setting a precedence than this actual phone. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Apple that actually did it behind closed doors.

Yep. When this story 1st broke weeks ago I was surprised on how many people thought that Apple didn't know how to break into their own phones.

I'm sure Apple, and Google, MS, etc. all have a b'zillion smart people who know all about security, and how to break it. Especially on their own stuff.

Publicly for sales and PR Apple played the tough guy. Saying no to the FBI. But behind the scenes they helped by either doing it themselves or pointing the FBI in the direction to someone who could do it.

How was it wasted, they got in and some hacker did it for them, probably an ex-apple software engineer or a wiz kid.
Are you saying that you want the Government to have access to your and everyone else's I-phones? If so that does not sound very Conservative.

Meanwhile Russian Hackers are taking over people's computers and holding their information from ransom... But let's pretend as if the FBI getting into a criminal's phone is THE BAD thing.

Unless it becomes known and then the phones will not be worth the plastic it took to make it. People seem to forget that the majority of Americans do not want the government to simply be able to hack their phone any time They feel it is in Their best interests.

Except that in reality any of those folks with more than two brain cells who own those devices know behind the comfortable illusions that's already the case.

Sorry to inform you of the reality of the matter, but the so-called liberals have every bit as much to do with the formation and tactics of our government agencies as conservatives do.

It will eventually come out who did it, as the saying goes: Three people can keep a secret, if two are dead.

Except that in reality any of those folks with more than two brain cells who own those devices know behind the comfortable illusions that's already the case.

Actually it was not the case. If it become true I phone sales will drop and specific apps will no longer be popular. Than again idiots post all kinds of personal data on the internet already so who knows.

Meanwhile Russian Hackers are taking over people's computers and holding their information from ransom... But let's pretend as if the FBI getting into a criminal's phone is THE BAD thing.

Get a better firewall and security software.

Actually it was not the case. If it become true I phone sales will drop and specific apps will no longer be popular. Than again idiots post all kinds of personal data on the internet already so who knows.

People have their comfortable illusions and they will go to any extent to keep them. If you really, truly believe your phone can't be eavesdropped upon or hacked, the fantasy has gone over to outright delusion.

Again, in reality, the phone got hacked. If just one hacker can do it, the government agencies will soon have the same ability.

That said, what most people with phones comfort themselves with is the thought, not that their phone can't be hacked by government, but that the government won't do it unless they are criminals.

People have their comfortable illusions and they will go to any extent to keep them. If you really, truly believe your phone can't be eavesdropped upon or hacked, the fantasy has gone over to outright delusion.
eavesdropped yes, hacked not so easy, I have security apps running on mine and I do not use it as much as a computer as many do, that is why I have a laptop with a screen big enough to actually see stuff, along with even more security. I have worked years in the telecom industry writing technical manuals, know darn well what is possible and not. The government is not nearly as capable as you seem to believe, if they were they would not have had to hire an outside hacker to do it for them.

I'm more worried about the $3-$4 trillion we wasted in Iraq. But that's just me.

Yep...just you ...and other libs. It wasn't wasted.
You people seem to forget how much battle experience our military acquired over there, and how much technological experience was gleaned to build a better war machine for future wars. There will be many more wars to come and anyone who believes otherwise is a damn fool.
Not to mention the tens of thousands of people, employed directly and indirectly, because of war. The stimulus to our economy was huge.

College History class 101.....we need a war every 7 or 8 years to stimulate the economy. I learned that when I was 19, and never forgot it.

eavesdropped yes, hacked not so easy, I have security apps running on mine and I do not use it as much as a computer as many do, that is why I have a laptop with a screen big enough to actually see stuff, along with even more security. I have worked years in the telecom industry writing technical manuals, know darn well what is possible and not. The government is not nearly as capable as you seem to believe, if they were they would not have had to hire an outside hacker to do it for them.

I know you feel comfortable and safe with that illusion. But there's a reason why security is constantly evolving, changing - because the current generation has been hacked. If you knew security you'd also know we prevent the script kiddies, but the serious hackers we mitigate. They happen, with regularity.

Don't count on the government being toothless in this arena. The FBI cannot afford the talent required, however, the NSA and DOD can, and do. What really holds the government back is the law. Believe it or not they do follow the law (in the vast majority of cases). Btw, the NSA and DOD don't generally share their resources and capability in this regard with the FBI. I'm sure you can think of the very good reasons (outside of conspiracy theory) why this is so.

Back
Top Bottom