• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FBI agents say shutdown is hampering counterterrorism, sex trafficking probes

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

602x338_3608366.jpg

Tom O'Connor, center, president of the FBI Agents Association, holds a booklet containing
testimonies on how the government shutdown is affecting agents during a news conference on Tuesday.

1/22/19
The partial government shutdown is hampering FBI investigations into terror suspects, drug traffickers and child sexual predators, according to a report by a group representing the federal law enforcement officers. The 72-page report, titled "Voices from the Field," features dozens of firsthand accounts from unnamed agents detailing the ways the shutdown is hindering their work. "I currently investigate a particularly violent street gang," an agent from the FBI’s central region says in the report. "I have had to tell our local law enforcement partners that I cannot assist in funding these operations because my field office does not have money. This means that the one chance we may have to take down several violent individuals may pass us by and we may not get the chance again." An unidentified agent who works on counterterrorism investigations says in the report that the shutdown has "eliminated any ability to operate." "It’s bad enough to work without pay, but we can only conduct administrative functions while doing it," says the agent, who works in the western region. "The fear is, our enemies know they can run freely." The shutdown has also stripped the department of the ability to buy drugs for narcotics busts and pay confidential informants, according to the report from the FBI Agents Association. "Not being able to pay confidential human sources risks losing them and the information they provide forever," an agent from the central region says in the report. "It is not a switch that we can turn on and off."

The FBI’s roughly 35,000 employees, including 13,000 special agents, are bracing to miss their second paycheck this Friday as the shutdown stretches into its fifth week. "That is one month, four weeks, 30 days without pay," FBI Agents Association President Thomas O’Connor said Tuesday at a news conference. O’Connor’s voice began to quiver as he recalled bringing food to his office Monday night to help those in need. "It is truly sad that we must resort to this because we are being let down by our elected officials," O’Connor said. The Justice Department did not return a request for comment.

Utter silence from the acting head of the DoJ Matthew Whitaker, and FBI Director Christopher A. Wray. Both are Trump appointees.

FBI agents are having to drop counterterrorism, narcotics, and trafficking investigations for lack of operating funds. But it's no secret that Trump dislikes and distrusts the FBI.

Obviously, Trump and McConnell feel a useless vanity wall is more important than running FBI investigations on radical groups and domestic nationalists seeking to inflict major harm on America.

Related: Voices from the Field: FBI Agent Accounts of the Real Consequences of the Government Shutdown

602x338_3608366.jpg

Tom O'Connor, center, president of the FBI Agents Association, holds a booklet containing
testimonies on how the government shutdown is affecting agents during a news conference on Tuesday.

Utter silence from the acting head of the DoJ Matthew Whitaker, and FBI Director Christopher A. Wray. Both are Trump appointees.

FBI agents are having to drop counterterrorism, narcotics, and trafficking investigations for lack of operating funds. But it's no secret that Trump dislikes and distrusts the FBI.

Obviously, Trump and McConnell feel a useless vanity wall is more important than running FBI investigations on radical groups and domestic nationalists seeking to inflict major harm on America.

Related: Voices from the Field: FBI Agent Accounts of the Real Consequences of the Government Shutdown

Who cares? After all the FBI is nothing but thirteen angry democrats trying to dethrone trump. Who needs them? That's called sarcasm for those lacking the ability to think.

602x338_3608366.jpg

Who cares, what is REALLY IMPORTANT is Trump getting his Wall dedicated to himself.

602x338_3608366.jpg

Both stubborn sides need to start listening to the cries of the afflicted in the shutdown and hop off their political horses and come to the negotiating table in order to reach some sort of agreement. I have noticed Trump has made the first compromising move. Good for him. Now its time for the democrats to do the same.

Both stubborn sides need to start listening to the cries of the afflicted in the shutdown and hop off their political horses and come to the negotiating table in order to reach some sort of agreement. I have noticed Trump has made the first compromising move. Good for him. Now its time for the democrats to do the same.

The lying swine who caused the shutdown needs to end it. We can't be rewarding your hostage-taking. That simple.

:shrug:

The lying swine who caused the shutdown needs to end it. We can't be rewarding your hostage-taking. That simple.

I'm thinking in order to be a part of the GOP, you need a good case of amnesia. I love how the right tries to blame the democrats with trump on tape saying the shutdown is his.

What negotiation has Trump done? He said he wants his wall or nothing. He offered a 3 year, kick the can down the road, for DACA which HE CREATED the situation where DACA is in danger. It's temporary and worth nothing. That's like me taking $100 from you and then negotiating where I say I will compromise and give back $20. It's worthless.

What negotiation has Trump done? He said he wants his wall or nothing. He offered a 3 year, kick the can down the road, for DACA which HE CREATED the situation where DACA is in danger. It's temporary and worth nothing. That's like me taking $100 from you and then negotiating where I say I will compromise and give back $20. It's worthless.

What the White House also did't publicly say is that the Trump/McConnell bill also severely curtails the US asylum rules .

They didn't mention that part did they? Of course not. They want the public to think their bill is all sunshine and balloons.

"Lying swine?" I agree. Schumer is a pig.

I have noticed Trump has made the first compromising move. Good for him. Now its time for the democrats to do the same.

Democrats have met with Trump in person and he stormed out. They sent six bills to reopen the government to the Senate which were summarily tossed in the trash. Democrats have done nothing but try to get the government reopened. Trump is the one refusing to negotiate.

I see. Still no willingness to work with Trump unless he agrees to continue to allow democrats to never allow him to build barriers on the border in fulfillment of his hugely popular campaign promise. Such is the democrat way of doing business. If democrats do not want something done then they will not stop at anything to make sure it does not get done.

I see. Still no willingness to work with Trump unless he agrees to continue to allow democrats to never allow him to build barriers on the border in fulfillment of his hugely popular campaign promise. Such is the democrat way of doing business. If democrats do not want something done then they will not stop at anything to make sure it does not get done.

and Trump isn't willing to budge and wants a monument for his ego since his lies have come forth and he is throwing a tantrum. And the majority of people do not want a wall built with American Taxpayer money. Sorry to disappoint you that Trump is not a king, therefore his demands are moot. Pelosi is representing the house and the majority of American people unlike Trump.

and Trump isn't willing to budge and wants a monument for his ego since his lies have come forth and he is throwing a tantrum. And the majority of people do not want a wall built with American Taxpayer money. Sorry to disappoint you that Trump is not a king, therefore his demands are moot. Pelosi is representing the house and the majority of American people unlike Trump.

So the majority of leftist democrats and their pundits and poll supporters do not want a wall built? Big deal. Trump was hired by tens of millions of patriotic Americans to build a wall and he seems determined to do the job he was hired to do.

602x338_3608366.jpg

Another DEMLEFT FEDERAL EMPLOYEES UNION, worried about its TAXPAYER DOLLARS....

I'm thinking in order to be a part of the GOP, you need a good case of amnesia. I love how the right tries to blame the democrats with trump on tape saying the shutdown is his.

No, you just need to not care.

So the majority of leftist democrats and their pundits and poll supporters do not want a wall built? Big deal. Trump was hired by tens of millions of patriotic Americans to build a wall and he seems determined to do the job he was hired to do.

And the house turned Dem to stop the wall. Deal with it.

Of course the FBI is going to complain. The agency has a long record of political activism and deception, in the tradition of J. Edgar. TSA and FBI are two useless agencies

Leftists do not want political opponents to have any say in American government. That is why they erroneously think Americans do not want Trump in office and doing what he was hired to do. Leftists who believe that crap are idiots.

And the house turned Dem to stop the wall. Deal with it.

The House is now 55/45 opposed to the wall. The Senate is 55/45 for the wall. Trump and Americans who elected him are 95/05 for the wall. Trump wins. No matter the numbers Trump is still president, not Pelosinut.

Back
Top Bottom