• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Thriller Films

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I always liked films which leave you hanging. I especially like the ones where the bad guy gets away in the end. So, for that reason, plus the fact that they were really well done flicks, my top two are "No Country for Old Men" and "The Usual Suspects."

Old men was simply an awesome bit of acting and directing. Tommy Lee nailed that West Texas lawman role. And the bad guy played by Javier Bardem was unlike any other. Totally off the hook. The protagonist, Llewelyn Moss, played by Josh Brolin, did a great job as well. He fit the part. The girl, Moss's wife, nailed her role as well, IMO.

Suspects was just a really good storyline. I'm a huge Gabriel Byrne fan. So, maybe I'm partial. But, the acting by Kevin Spacey as the cripple wallflower cum global criminal mastermind was simply amazing.

Last edited:
I always liked films which leave you hanging. I especially like the ones where the bad guy gets away in the end. So, for that reason, plus the fact that they were really well done flicks, my top two are "No Country for Old Men" and "The Usual Suspects."

Doesn't Javier Bardem get hit by a car in No Country for Old Men? That's how I recall it.

Old men was simply an awesome bit of acting and directing. Tommy Lee nailed that West Texas lawman role. And the bad guy played by Javier Bardem was unlike any other. Totally off the hook. The protagonist, Llewelyn Moss, played by Josh Brolin, did a great job as well. He fit the part. The girl, Moss's wife, nailed her role as well, IMO.

Suspects was just a really good storyline. I'm a huge Gabriel Byrne fan. So, maybe I'm partial. But, the acting by Kevin Spacey as the cripple wallflower cum global criminal mastermind was simply amazing.

No country for old Men wasn't that great IMO too long too many plot lines, no development for the most interesting characters and an abrupt end. My favorite movies where the bad guy wins, clockwork orange and American psycho.

I love a movie where the ending is really and truly a surprise. For instance "The Game" with Michael Douglas has, in my opinion, the best surprise ending ever.

Minor injuries, and he walks away.

Right. For some reason I remembered he died, but I just watched the scene again and he walks out alive.

My personal top 10 thriller films are:

1) Leon
2) Shutter Island
3) Fight Club
4) The Usual Suspects
5) The Departed
6) Se7en
7) The Prestige
8) The Dark Knight
9) The Sixth Sense
10) V for Vendetta

With Prisoners, Memento, Inception, Gone Girl and the Silence of the Lambs being worthy mentions.

For some reason, the moment I read your thread title, a movie from way back came to mind, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

It starred Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter.

The picture just knocked me out.

It has been remade several times...with the same name and with other names. And I notice that there is a summer replacement series on called "BrainDead" that borrows from it rather heavily.

Minor injuries, and he walks away.
While the Coens followed the book quite closely they left out a crucial part which really explains Anton Chigurh's motivation. At the end of that scene he actually brings the money back to the mob bosses. In the movie it implies that he went rogue and took the money for himself.

Silence of the Lambs.

No country for old Men wasn't that great IMO too long too many plot lines, no development for the most interesting characters and an abrupt end. My favorite movies where the bad guy wins, clockwork orange and American psycho.

I thought the development went well, as the backstory on the cop and the guy who found the money was sort of leaked throughout the story. Except Anton. He had no back story, just a hitman with no past or future, someone only living in the present. The girl too...the wife. Her story was told by her changing personae even though she only had a small number of scenes and played a very limited part in the film.

Back
Top Bottom